Do you feel a little embarrassed getting caught bluffing?

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I realized one thing on micro-limits and free tournaments, bluffing does not work very much) because they lose nothing to others, they can call anything even if they have a weak pair and you have a strong hand without a combination

W

WHAKAORIORI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be lying if said no . But it’s part of the game . Ain’t no one gonna win a tourney without bluffing

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find it rather embarrassing only when the cardscthat I want them to believevi have,, are the ones in their hand.. feel a little dumb by not having figured out their hand first.
But I am getting better. I try to use it as a set up for the next good hand I get. Then they just think you are a typical fish. Works out pretty good when the villan thinks you are a fish.
Wow the things you can get away with.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Bluffing is all part of the game, there are times when you know you are beat, and the only way to win is to bluff, The best part is deciding whether to show these bluffs, or not.
It can be annoying to other players when you show, helps to put them on tilt, and sometimes will call a huge River bet the next time you are playing, thinking you are doing it again.
It can be a little embarrassing when they call one of your bluffs, but I laugh it off and make some remark like "Caught with my fingers in the Cookie jar" The regulars I play against know I sometimes try to steal blinds by raising with any two cards when I am on the button, but they also know, that sometimes I am holding a good hand and will call a re-raise, or all-in bet if pushed.
It keeps the game fun and enjoyable, and I never let it get to me when someone else does the same to me, you just have to accept it as all part of the game.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I always feel a little embarrassed when I get caught bluffing. And it is weird since bluffing is part of the corner stone of poker.

I think it is a natural feeling, but it is quite unnecessary.
The Bluff is a tool in your toolbox. Like most tools, it has a time and place where it is most effective and in some situations, it is just foolish to employ.

The art is using it to confound your opponent and to exploit intrinsic weaknesses the possess.

When you bluff and get caught, it alerts everyone at the table that NOW, your capacity to bluff has been confirmed. Just means some people might be ore likely to call a future bet rather than fold.

So your job, after getting caught, it to carry on as before...but recognising that the next bluff might be caught. A short term adjustment to bluff less gets away from this. Or, forgetabout it...and carry on. It is harder to play against someone who bluffs than it is to play against a nit. When a nit raises/re-raises...its often fold-time. But when a TAG, LAG raises, and we have a hanjd that might be able to win at showdown, we can look for reasons to call or raise.

But at the end of the day...the bluff needs to be a money-spinner. If, like me, you find certain players suspect you to bluff more than not, you adjust. Always playing around the edge of their intel.

To do this effectively, you either have to play against the same folks (e.g. CC league)...or, alternatively, be very clear about what reputation you want to put out, and then spend the early part of the tourney cultivating that rep..

For example, playing nit-tight (VPIP <=15) in the early phase sets you up for later steals.
The key here is that early on, stealing blinds is not worth much. But if you save your chips early on and then increase the bluffs as you reach the bubble, your credibility is set and now the blinds you win are more valuable.

Personally, I just like to make things difficult enough on my opponent that they'd just rather avoid playing against me. That may mean making pots bigger than they're comfortable with, or check-raises, etc. Yes, of course I bluff...but for you to catch me, you have to pay...make that price a difficult amount. Cheap limps followed by min raises doesn't threaten existence...so it won't help.

Its ok to get caught. But you should also look at what you might have done wrong to let that person call you out. Did your story make sense? For example, if your preflop bet is called and you flop a flush draw...and bet the draw accordingly...if you miss the draw but shove anyway, it doesn't make sense...and someone else may see that.

Similarly, if you had not been better a draw, but behave like your train has come in when the draw hits, again, the story doesn't add up.

Good luck!

Regards,
ObbleeXY

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t feel embarrassed when I’m caught bluffing, I’m just upset that I didn’t win.:(:)

T

Thedoncmp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
At the very beginning but not much anymore unless it’s a horrible bluff
74o can really take down pots of you play it right, but why did you play it lol

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
no, bluffing is part of the game and we won't always succeed.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never, part of the game, especially not if it works often

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I don't feel embarrassed. If they get caught on a bluff, then there really is something in the opponent, I don't bluff that often.

Luca Santos

Luca Santos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bluffing is part of poker, nothing more normal.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't feel embarassed because I bluffed.

I feel embarassed because I got caught. :D

Bluffing is GOOD and if you're not bluffing you're doing it wrong.

It's embarassing because now I have to watch my behavior in the near future and can't bluff so much anymore.

Don't get caught!! LOL My advice: When you bluff, you are telling a story... and that story has to make sense to your opponent on every street. Don't just decide out of the blue to bluff on the river - in order for your story to remain consistent, you have to plan out your attack across all streets if necessary. Good luck!

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's only embarassing when you try and do it twice in a row, and get caught. Other than that, it's delicious when everybody assumes you're at it again, when you have the nuts, instead.

Banjois

Banjois

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you bluff, you are telling a story... and that story has to make sense to your opponent on every street.

This. Just randomly making it seem like you have it, instead of thinking of what other people might think you have, based on the turn, is, indeed, embarassing.

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bluff is fine , and even when they catch you on a bluff, you don't need to chain yourself and be embarrassed, you also need to continue playing aggressively, and for the second time when they think that you are bluffing, they pay for it and it's healthy

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
At the same time, I feel rage and am ready to kill and eat my opponent.:banghead::eating::D

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't play without bluffing. So you will have to feel awkward. :)

blackclover

blackclover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It feels awkward when you got caught bluffing in a row. Bluffing is part of poker

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, but it is the part of the game and makes it more colorful

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i never felt embarassed ! sometimes is good getting caught , when u have a good card , they think u bluff again .

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
bluff is fine , and even when they catch you on a bluff, you don't need to chain yourself and be embarrassed, you also need to continue playing aggressively, and for the second time when they think that you are bluffing, they pay for it and it's healthy

My thought exactly .

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never get embarassed when I bluff. If I win then I say YIPPEEEEE. If I lose then I just laugh !!!

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always feel a little embarrassed when I get caught bluffing. And it is weird since bluffing is part of the corner stone of poker.
if it's a bad bluff, you should be. But how do you bluff?

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't feel awkward when my bluff is revealed. On the contrary! Sometimes this is part of the strategy of the game as a whole.