Do you consider poker gambling?

N

Novify

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question is not clear! Of course poker gambling! Other opinions I have not heard! This game is played for money, large and very large! Excitement makes this game special charm

xmarus91

xmarus91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling is when luck is involed so yes 60% SKILL 40% luck

feffy

feffy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sports game is more than gambling

Tinie107

Tinie107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is for sure gambling as it has an element of luck but unlike most types of gambling games it has an element of skill which makes it a lot more profitable for the good players.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is gambling, however I think the "gambling" part is inversely proportional to the player's skill level. I could argue that the stock market is also gambling on some levels too, mainly because of the "put your money in and hope you get it back" part of it, which is also a function of what type of stocks you're buying. Buying stocks off the pink sheets on margin? Methinks that's pure gambling. Buying shares of an index fund? Not nearly as much.

But, vocabulary aside, any activity where you take a risk and cannot completely control or predict the outcome can be called gambling too. Driving nowadays with all the idiots behind the wheel who spend more time texting than looking at the road is also a significant gamble.

M

Macaroon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You know - and please feel free to disagree - I used to compare poker to playing the stock market - acquire information and put money on the most likely outcome.
But there is much more personal control in poker (which is not necessarily a good thing for some of us).
The stock market is actually probably closer to sports betting. The better you are at acquiring information and knowing how it translates to the business then the better you will probably do. But in the end you have no control on the outcome of the event or series of events required for you to profit..

I used to trade the stockmarket (via E-Trade) and I can assure you that while poker is probably not 'rigged' the stockmarket most certainly is. However one can still make a profit on the stockmarket - it needs luck now because the figures companies give out are frequently made up - in other words extremely dodgy.

My opinion is that poker requires more skill and less luck to win (unless you happen to be one of the market traders with inside information!).

Poker is still gambling...but buying or selling shares whether direct or in a pension, or spreadbettiing, is a bigger gamble. There are exceptions such as trading currencies but even that can be skewed by World Affairs. At least with poker there's always the chnace of folding and cutting losses - that's not always possible on the market.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no, i think of it more like investing, its like the stock market you do your research, weigh the odds and let the chips fall

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer the "Poker: Game of Skill vs Game of Luck" argument, because arguing that poker is a game of skill tends to put a more positive light on the game.

As for the OP question, yes, if gambling is defined as betting on something with an uncertain result/future, then poker is gambling. The word gambling has such a negative connotation though...

B

Benneke11

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is about having luck, because you're dependable of the cards. But if you're a skilled player, you can influence your opponents and win a pot.

F

FLOnaldoRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's right .

Poker is about having luck, because you're dependable of the cards. But if you're a skilled player, you can influence your opponents and win a pot.

Yes , it's pure gambling .. And how u say , this game need skills to . If you have luck , u can beat skills . So,it's gambling .

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck evens out over the long run.

If you're a shitty player, you cannot possibly have enough luck to win 100,000 hands vs better players.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you consider Basketball to be a Sport?

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Poker IS a game of chance. Every single hand depends on luck and decisions. The latter means that skill IS involved too. So although luck is the decisive factor for a hand, a session or even a period of time, in the long run decisions make the difference. So while poker game' s a gamble, the overall outcome of poker-playing is not. That's why there a bunch of poker professionals that make a decent if not huge income from playing poker where that can't be done - at least legitimately - with any other form of gambling.
So there you have it:
POKER IS GAMBLING WITH AN EDGE!!!
(Like playing chess with dice-rolls for each move)

remus_ny

remus_ny

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it's gambling. Life is gambling ! You don't know what's going to happen next day/week/month BUT you can prepare. You can go to a collage or invest in something to bring the odds on your side, or you can wait to win lottery...... But sometimes even if you are prepared you will lose from time to time. Life have many upswings and downswings no matter who you are, what job you have, how wealthy or healthy you are. so... I think everything in life is gambling, but we have to work hard to bring the odds on our side to have some equity for the future.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling