Do You Consider Poker a Sport?

S

subsinind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, Poker is a sport even though it involves luck because all field games like football, soccer, hockey etc. involves referees/umpires who manipulate the game giving wrong decisions at important times often swinging the result of the games in their discretion which can be equated to luck in poker.

If there are no referees/umpires in a game and each decision in a game results in a correct decision then that game is a sport and poker is not a sport. In reality, this is not the case and so Poker especially tournament poker SHOULD be considered as a Sport.

GRANDPAPA929

GRANDPAPA929

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a mind game, but it is not equivalent to the sport as chess. At the poker table in online poker players get fat and get drunk. It's gambling for money is prohibited in many countries to sport it will not connect. These are my thoughts and think what you want.
200w.webp

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think poker is a game.

F

fishinabowl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's a gamble game.
Chess is sport

LavaStorm

LavaStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever imagined poker in the Olympics? let me know your opinion .... poker is a sport or a simple game of chance?
I think that the dream of poker is to join the olympics! (Like in chess ) Poker should be in the olympics !! I would be really happy to by a ticket for the poker olympics!:)

V

vegasbound100

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I woke up this morning and drank a couple of raw eggs and now I'm ready for my day on the felt. GIVe Me a break!!!

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a game.
but the game of masters
This is what makes it different from other card games.
but this is not a sport, although it requires a good form and well-being from the player

naydanazar

naydanazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For most people poker is Money ,but for me it's a hobby and a Sport...

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

i think poker is not a sport....but a gambling game

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Have you ever imagined poker in the Olympics? let me know your opinion .... poker is a sport or a simple game of chance?

The Olympics have been devalued enough as it is, lets not make it worse by pretending gambling events are a sport simply because it can take several days to finish a large field event. :eek:

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I would love it to be considered a global sport in brazil such as that and I read his government and gave it the status of an official sport .... the Olympics would be good with poker

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...poker should be considered a sport..there is training,memory and people skill, stamina for tourneys and of course some luck[just like other sports]...darrell

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips

Poker is definitely not a sport and I cannot see it ever being an Olympic event. Poker is gambling. A loser gives money (or something else) to a winner, via a game of chance. Yes, I know it's also a game of skill, but a top player can still lose to a useless player, due to the chance element.

However, just in case the unthinkable happens, I'm going to write to the new zealand Olympic Selection Committee and point out, I once won a Cardschat Special Events Tournament, and should be considered for selection to represent New Zealand at poker.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a game. Is Monopoly a sport? How about go fish? Lets get real.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a game. Is Monopoly a sport? How about go fish? Lets get real.

You could say the same thing about chess and it's also classified as a sport by the IMSA. There are different "kinds" of sports. Most people are just use to the sports that include some sort of physical exertion.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournament poker is more like a sport. It requires strategy, mental clarity and physical stamina.

You are forced to act in tournaments and use all your poker skills to excel or sometimes just to survive.

In cash games you have the luxury to not play a hand for hours. Not quite the same.

Good luck !

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is definitely not a sport and I cannot see it ever being an Olympic event. Poker is gambling. A loser gives money (or something else) to a winner, via a game of chance. Yes, I know it's also a game of skill, but a top player can still lose to a useless player, due to the chance element.

However, just in case the unthinkable happens, I'm going to write to the New Zealand Olympic Selection Committee and point out, I once won a Cardschat Special Events Tournament, and should be considered for selection to represent New Zealand at poker.

If anything I just don't think it will ever be an Olympic sport because, how would that even work? The whole excitement of the Olympic's is breaking world records and receiving medals. What records would their be for Olympic poker? How would you even choose who was able to compete? would their be a buy in and prize money? Would they turn it into a team event where they play something like a tag-team tournament country vs. country? I just cant' see the big picture as far as the Olympic's is concerned however, that being said it "IS" classified as a sport

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If anything I just don't think it will ever be an Olympic sport because, how would that even work? The whole excitement of the Olympic's is breaking world records and receiving medals. What records would their be for Olympic poker? How would you even choose who was able to compete? would their be a buy in and prize money? Would they turn it into a team event where they play something like a tag-team tournament country vs. country? I just cant' see the big picture as far as the Olympic's is concerned however, that being said it "IS" classified as a sport

A "buy-in" would not be necessary. Just like competitors don't need to pay an entry fee to run or row in a race.

You would be assigned a chip stack and the competition is over when one player or team has all the chips.

Records could be measured in the time or number of hands it takes to win all the chips. Gold, silver and bronze could be awarded as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in an Olympic Poker Tournament.

Good luck !

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A "buy-in" would not be necessary. Just like competitors don't need to pay an entry fee to run or row in a race.

You would be assigned a chip stack and the competition is over when one player or team has all the chips.

Records could be measured in the time or number of hands it takes to win all the chips. Gold, silver and bronze could be awarded as 1st, 2nd and 3rd places in an Olympic Poker Tournament.

Good luck !

Possibly... So you think they would just take the top GPI ranking players for the year or how do you think they would choose who makes the team?

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's definitely sport if you are best you get paid high for it :)
But don't think it's couldn't be in Olympic there's no way how to qualify it as winter or summer sport so think it's just gonna be still big discussion it's sport or gambling but many country's it's qualified as a sport already.

odo333

odo333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I do not know if you can call it sport. It's kind of a cool sneak peek, but it requires knowledge of psychology and probability. A lot easier to win at the bookmaker

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker a simple game of chance, and the Olympiad is a sport.