Its allmost same as chess,only thing that in pokker you need allsoo some luck

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, poker is not a sport, neither is chess or auto racing.

J

jackaoliver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not luck, the odds prove that your hands will average out over an infinate amount of time, proving over the long run you will have the same cards as others, however you just have to make the situations you are in profitable.

MargoMardus

MargoMardus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe you are right dakota-xx, i just learning pokker!Not proffesional,but still think theres something do to whit luck :) you may have good cards but you never know what you get in tabel or what cards had your opponens who folded.Even river-card can change everything!

Z

Zin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not luck, the odds prove that your hands will average out over an infinate amount of time, proving over the long run you will have the same cards as others, however you just have to make the situations you are in profitable.

Poker was a more of a skill game before Moneymaker, the game of poker has shifted to more luck than skill.

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is a game that can be played better with skills. It's a skill game just like baseball. So how did baseball become a sport?
Ahh I'm a girl what do I know? best to leave these matters to the menfolk. NOT almost had you though admit it.
guess I'm undecided.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker was a more of a skill game before Moneymaker, the game of poker has shifted to more luck than skill.

No, there are just more idiots in the game now thinking they can make a quick buck by getting lucky. The good players with the skills are still prevailing

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck vs. skill = sport vs. game?

I still have a lot to learn.

vasia_lavr

vasia_lavr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As usual, opinions are divided)
My opinion is that if there is no physical activity that is not a sport

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it is really a sport, but I don't really like putting it in the gambling category either.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a very controversial debate, my opinion is that it's not a sport.

B

bluefox117

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of incomplete information. Skill plays a big part in poker but luck can also play a huge factor in any hand. I don't know if you can label it a sport just yet.

barracuuuda

barracuuuda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its very competitive, but in my opinion its in the same category as professional gaming. Very fun and amusing to watch high stakes on espn.

W

Weissr

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They should introduce a physical component into the game, then you can call it a sport. Ie: if the hand is a coinflip, you just arm wrestle for the win and don't even deal the cards.

luckytvguy

luckytvguy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope one day,more and more people can take poker as an sports,not gamble.An people like to look tv show of poker on sports channels.And so on......

D

dead homie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im a skateboarder who doesnt play sports, people always tell me skateboarding isnt a sport and i say i know thats why i like it

it doesnt have to be a sport to be fun

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is called poker game.
so poker is a game, not sports, especially if u play on cash table....

Tournament....err may be sports. but still poker is a game.

U

unstoppable4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game involving luck and skill. Sports are games involving luck and skill. Example: Football requires a lot of skills to be played at a high level just like poker does. However, the luck comes into play in many situations such as tipped balls that get intercepted. Usually the ball isn't intentionally tipped to a defender but sometimes get intercepted by the mere chance that the ball would be tipped in such a way. Luck is what allows the worse team to win on occasion just as it allows a worse player to win in poker sometimes.

The lack of athletic necessity for poker is what primarily makes it lack the classification as a sport. Do you need mental endurance to do it for 10 hours in a day for a tournament? Yes. But this is found in many endeavors; many occupations and activities require mental endurance but fail to meet the standards to be classified as a sport.

Plus you could play a whole tournament and win without standing up more than a few times. :) Not many sports where you can do that.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker isnt only about luck same as it isnt about skill only. Its mix of these two things... But I dont know to say what ratio is between these two factors.

Its not only about skill cause even if you got 3 times in row second nuts, you still will be eliminated if your opponents will have 3 times nuts at same hands... Thats why EPT still dont have double champion...

And its not only about luck cause you can win with worse hand through your skill.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think only tournament poker can be called a sport. The trophy, ranking list, places and fame and so on...
Chess is also a sport, for instance you lose a lot of weight in these stressful 7 hour world championship games :)

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say it is a mental sport. I don't agree that all sports have to be physically active.

fan_diaz

fan_diaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its not athletic, its not a sport. I agree that its a game.
We should play it on a running machine. Then it would be a sport :)
I can bet a lot of the best players can't stand a whole tournament on those conditions! lol