Do You Consider Poker a Sport?

G

Gonzaloas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s not clear that we can classify poker as sport but it´s pretty clear 2 things:

1. that it have in common all the characteristics of the "sports activities" with the exception of intense physical activity, but some motorized sports also don´t have it...

2. Poker is not gambling because your chances are dramatically increased by your skill in the game...

my 2 cents :cool:

dudemanstan

dudemanstan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill for good players, and that is the same as all sports that use skill. For bad players without skill it is gambling and not a sport. So it depends on the player.

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you say that, so for you every game with cards is sport, that's right?
Maybe you use skill for that game, but that is mind game, not sport.

thecpkid

thecpkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a game, anyone can play, but there is a definite skill aspect if you're hardcore

A

afoostenrijk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if poker would be a sport, i would have 20kg less

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have always chuckled at the term "motor sport". I assume the F1 and such drivers are in good physical shape, but that is not gonna be a result of their driving, but rather them knowing they will have better reactions and concentration if they are fit.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always chuckled at the term "motor sport". I assume the F1 and such drivers are in good physical shape, but that is not gonna be a result of their driving, but rather them knowing they will have better reactions and concentration if they are fit.

I think demolition derby qualifies perfectly as a motor sport; It's like motorized tackle football only without the football and goalposts.

Lot more dangerous if a player hits a cheerleader, though.

Noah31

Noah31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is simple........

The definition of sport:
Sport- An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

No "physical exertion" in poker. So the answer is no, it is not a sport.

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Noah31

Noah31

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ffs:::: gtfo

ITS A FUKIN CARD GAME YOU PLAY WHEN YOU SIT IN IN A CHAIR

figure it out....... or not......

look up the definition of sport...............

JFC

AMEN!!!! LMAO!!

Enzo1089

Enzo1089

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True sports are physically based. Poker is not a sport. It is simply a game. A mentally provocative card game. No matter how much people want to argue for it, a mental exercise of a game does not qualify as a sport....at least not in my book.

EDIT: And the whole "Motor Sport" thing even as a term makes no sense. If you are sitting in a motorized vehicle, driving it, you are not physically exerting yourself. NOT A SPORT.

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
True sports are physically based. Poker is not a sport. It is simply a game. A mentally provocative card game. No matter how much people want to argue for it, a mental exercise of a game does not qualify as a sport....at least not in my book.

EDIT: And the whole "Motor Sport" thing even as a term makes no sense. If you are sitting in a motorized vehicle, driving it, you are not physically exerting yourself. NOT A SPORT.

I agree with you Enzo, poker is a mentally game like every game that is playing with cards, but it will never be classified like a sport. It's more true to classify poker like a part of gambling.

A

AcesUp747

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"They should have it in the Olympics, but you can only play with what your country is worth.

Costa Rica is all-in with 15 coconuts! I'm gonna call.....hasta luego smallblind, shouldn't have limped."

/Tosh

S

sueco13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is a sport

poker i think is the most complete sport in the world.need be fast like usain bolt
and KO the oponent.a thinker like kasparov anfd KO a bluffer.strenght or stamina
for long torneys and luck and more.

S

sylpoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always chip shuffle while playing (online or live) so it's a sport for me

That was funny . I dont know if that burns any calories though. lol Poker is a game, like all card games are.IMO.

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Be careful, you may lose you weight :)

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You ever try to control a race vehicle traveling 200 MPH around a race course? Constantly shifting, slowing down, speeding up, entering turns at over 1G while trying to maintain control and stay upright while the car tries to jerk you sideways and yank you out of your seat? 12" or wider tires without power assist? A clutch that would snap pee-wee Hermans leg in two? A gear shifter that would do the same to his arm? Even as "lame" as NASCAR, just going around in circles; those are not your typical cars.

Trust me, It's physical. It's not like a drive to the grocery store.;) Try it sometime. See what you think, lol.

Last edited:
Enzo1089

Enzo1089

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You ever try to control a race vehicle traveling 200 MPH around a race course? Constantly shifting, slowing down, speeding up, entering turns at over 1G while trying to maintain control and stay upright while the car tries to jerk you sideways and yank you out of your seat? 12" or wider tires without power assist? A clutch that would snap pee-wee Hermans leg in two? A gear shifter that would do the same to his arm? Even as "lame" as NASCAR, just going around in circles; those are not your typical cars.

Trust me, It's physical. It's not like a drive to the grocery store.;) Try it sometime. See what you think, lol.

Nope. I've never driven a car over maybe 130 mph in my lifetime. It may have been manual transmission, but still. I have no idea what THAT is like. I guess I am one of those that views motor sports as someone just sitting in a car...but clearly I overlooked it.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I was too lazy to write a similarly-worded response, so thanks for doing it for me. I am skeptical of calling anything that involves physical exertion a sport, but Nascar certainly involves a fair bit of physical exertion.

Don't forget it's really damn hot in those cars too... Probably sweat out a liter of fluid during a race. :stickyman

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Physical exertion? So does that qualify the guys breaking rocks with sledgehammers?

S

suckoutartist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a mental sport.

by that logic, chess, tic-tac-toe, checkers and even risk are mental sports cause they all contain some sort of mental skill to be good at... idk about calling it a sport... its a game, lets not try to make it sound cool by saying its a sport.

S

suckoutartist

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
POW!!!

sport
/spôrt/
Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.
Verb
Wear or display: "sporting a mustache".
Synonyms
noun. fun - game - play - amusement
verb. play - frolic

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker involves no athletic skill (the same cannot actually be said of auto racing Hamm), ergo it's not a sport. It's a game of partial skill, just like every other card game.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is mos de a sport......I train by studying.....and just make sure my brain is right....it is a sport

you really from Dallas??

Last time I was there, they spoke English......