Do You Consider Poker a Sport?

Y

Yaholnitsky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not even debateable ...

Sport is defined as "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess". ... Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment".

Yes there are characteristics that professional athletes and poker players exhibit alike. Yes there are aspects of sport that involve luck from time to time (like poker) however ever possible play (unlike poker) doesn't involves an aspect of luck. And on a professional level, in any given sport, an amateur could never compete with a pro, not even close. But in poker, an amateur could get lucky, run real good and win the WSOP against the top pro's in the world. How many beer league ball teams could ever compete with a MLB team? So to answer the question, poker is a game, not a sport, and belongs nowhere near the olympics or any other professional sport for that matter.

A

azanella0809

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and not despite having to study the opponent a lot and high concentration it is still a game of chance ... for your chance you have the dealer as judge kkk..always ruin everything ... kkk

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport? Yes. But not an athletic sport. sports are just games that people play en masse. and are also viewed by spectators.

luckyou

luckyou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course there is championship every year plus there is premier league :D

RVTR7777

RVTR7777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good evening.

I consider this a sport of the mind.
It would be great if the hours in poker defined the belly muscles, etc. etc. lol
It would be a dream.:playingba
kkkk

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hearthstone and other games based on rng are considered sports so poker is a sport. Officially tournament poker is a sport in my country.

B

Bellasdad2009

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a sport

Yeah you sit alot , bit its a sport fore sure

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Of course its a mental sport, you need lots of consistency and in tournaments you need condition than helps you to the ability to play a lot of hours a day! Fot those reasons i agree its a sport.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I consider poker a sport of minde

leobouble

leobouble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is more than a sport, poker is a lifestyle

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a skills competition but not a sport. A sport by definition is an activity that involves both physical extortion and skill

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think there should be an event assembling all mindsports like poker, chess, go, mental calculation, memorization... Like an olimpic mindsports.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is a skills competition but not a sport. A sport by definition is an activity that involves both physical extortion and skill
I have read the opposite about it.

D

Davidale624

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Although officially it is not, I understand that it can be classified as a sport; this in an area similar to chess. You have to think hard and have a lot of ability to face each play.

Orathion

Orathion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport. It has to be considered that it takes great skill to play competitively as well as be in decent physical shape for specifically live tournaments. Its not easy to play multi day competitions with hours in a chair albeit office workers do it daily. Ive never played so i don't personally know the physical toll on the body under the conditions of live tournament play.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No

I love poker but, no I don't consider it a sport.

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe could be considered mind's sport.

80abukaH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Straight up no.

This does not make it less good of a game though.

YevhenUA

YevhenUA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my country we have a federation of sport poker, so I think that poker can be considered like a sport.

L

Lucretius

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definetly not a sport. Its a mind game

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport. It has to be considered that it takes great skill to play competitively as well as be in decent physical shape for specifically live tournaments. Its not easy to play multi day competitions with hours in a chair albeit office workers do it daily. Ive never played so i don't personally know the physical toll on the body under the conditions of live tournament play.
Although good physical condition is beneficial. It's in now way a requirement as many players have shown over the years. A person only needs to have the physical ability to sit at a table for long periods of time other than that a person physical health offers no quantifiable edge over other players

Ptiza

Ptiza

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't consider poker a sport. Since there is no body movement. We only build up fat and sit out muscle playing poker at the table.

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Poker is one of the purest forms of sport