TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
To the OP:

After years of being a losing player, I took the month of October of last year to do some major study. In November, I decided to start from scratch and deposited $50 on FTP and started grinding $2 SNG and some $2 MTT, with some decent results. In December I deposited $40 on Stars purely for small stakes MTT play.

After hundreds of tournaments I wound up with a total profit of just over $1200 by the middle of February. It could have been more, but I stuck to strict BRM of playing with no less than 50 buy-ins for whatever tournament or SNG I was playing, sometimes 75 if I wasn't in good shape that session. The only time I took shots at higher levels is if I was staked by another player.

I didn't do this by play alone. For every two or three hours I spent playing, I would spend at least twice that on study and thorough review of my past hands and sessions. Since I am laid off in the winters I have lots of time to devote to this. I am by no means a great player, in fact, after playing and studying all these hours I still consider myself a pretty shitty player. That just goes to show you how many levels of suck there are in this game.

It can be done, but it won't be done easily.

A

aaron_jd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely. I usually play maybe only a couple hours a night...just play one or two $1.20 9-person SNGs. Might play longer if I feel like playing some freerolls or if I'm running well on SNGs. Bottom line: BR has more than doubled in about two months.

A

akaCLINT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, seems you need one thing most of all to get anywhere at poker: patience...
To practise this, buy a 5000 pieces puzzle and get started..., complete it, if possible without getting mad, then return to the tables..., just my 2 cent...
GL
aC

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before the US cracked down on money transfers, I turned my single original $50 buyin into $350 playing $1 multi-table tourneys and $1 sit-n-gos on Full Tilt. The plan was to transition to bigger buyin games and see how things went.

If smaller stakes games are boring to you, then you've just got to have a bigger bankroll than $50. For me, I'm not comfortable with anything less than 100 buyins in my bankroll. But even at only 25-50 buyins, you've got to have a $250-$500 bankroll to play 10NL.

When you play, don't think of absolute cash. Think of percentages in relation to your bankroll. So if your roll is $50, then an increase to $60 is a 20% gain. If your roll is $5000, then an increase to $6000 is also a 20% gain. That's why one guy can be as happy as winning $10 as another guy can be with winning $1000. It all comes down to bankroll, and if you don't play within those limits, then you're going to feel the pain.

Now, if you can only afford a $50 bankroll but won't be happy unless you win $1000 every time you play, then you're just setting yourself up to be unhappy. So if you want bigger stakes, save the bankroll, then play within that bankroll and have fun! :)

Oh, also, what is the rake on a $2 HU game? In my opinion, when you take the rake into account, those HU games are just -EV and not a good way to build a bankroll.

Good luck to you. And welcome! :)

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its possible to get from a small bankroll to a big..

Enjoyed reading that wolfie, congratulations on your success. I hope to emulate something like in the future, time will tell.

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually from what I know, It might be hard but it's not impossible.
The only thing stopping me and many others is the fact that we have a life!And by that I mean we have to go to university, work, go see our family members, take care of the house, watch movies, read books, chase chicks etc :p...

HOWEVER!If we didn't have to do half of those things we could truly focus on poker without having to deal with the grandma calling at an all-in situation and with the threat of not having so much cash by the end of the month if I don't treat my poker like a business (as dusty did :D ). This would give the fuel A.K.A patience we need to truly work on our game, Improve, and move up to higher stakes.

Everything that can make you money needs years of studying and work, that's why we go to colleges and universities and workshops. Why should poker be different?I just hope I'll have the time I need in my life to truly focus on my game...

jjbish

jjbish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start w/$0 imo. best way always ahead of the game :)

Alas, that was a different time I guess. For sure doable, but not easy w/o perfect brm and some run good.

I think way too many 1st time depositers under estimate variance.

JediQuest

JediQuest

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Takes time and if you have time its possible to start with zero. Takes alot of patience too!

T

tenqueensuited

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it's 1-3 table SNG tournaments and cash tables. When you don't have much of a bankroll the large tourney payouts are enticing but it's tougher to cash in as you're learning. Play within you BR and you can step up as it grows. I've cashed in for $500 and $1000 starting from $50 but it takes a lot of patience. Going on a nice run or two doesn't hurt :)

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is possible...i started with $20 from a private freeroll and now i have cashed more than $2K in almost 2 years. I am still playing on low buy-ins tournaments ($5 max) because i don´t have the bankroll to play higher than that.

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the start i had the 50 bankroll and i lost it becase i never played with real cash before but after that i put but i started playing tournement and i thing it is my thing now better than cash games

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is possible...i started with $20 from a private freeroll and now i have cashed more than $2K in almost 2 years. I am still playing on low buy-ins tournaments ($5 max) because i don´t have the bankroll to play higher than that.

Sounds like you are a good candidate for a staking site so you can increase the buyin level you play...

zek

zek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How is it possible to build a bankroll with $50 -$100
with all the donks on the micro and the suckouts and the swings?
like tom dwan jason mercier Or any online pro am i missing somthing.

Yes, I do it a couple times per year.

It's probably about time I contribute one of those cool threads about how to turn $50 into $1000 and then blow it.

You'll want to avoid the later half of the accomplishment. ;)

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it is possible. I started with a $25 deposit on a site where another forum held private games and built that up to over $100. When the forum moved to another site I moved my bankroll and built it up to over $300. I then withdrew and deposited on FT and PS. I have never redeposited on these sites and have taken a fair bit out of them. Checking my records I have taken over $2000 out of FT and PS which I did last November to pay for a trip to LA and Vegas. That left me with a bankroll of around $200 and I have now built this up to around $1400 again. With a few exceptions I play mostly MTT's and mostly private games although I have played some cash games but more to build points for promotions rather than to build my bank roll.

J

Jarod1231

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I went from $0 to $2000 about a year ago on fulltilt.... won a cardschat freeroll for around $40 or so.. then took 2nd in a sheduled $5 omaha H/L tournament.. which bumped me over $200... then after grinding and proper BR management managed to take 1st in a $5 super turbo ko for just short of a grand to make my roll over $1200.... and then quite a few final tables to bump it to 2k .... so yes, its possible... too bad I cashed it all out and now I'm broke again!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I hear ya guys guess I got no patience for such poop money
I wanna make a living doing this I know I can just gotta figure out what dwan and mercier did

I wanna get paid for kickin' some ass. I mean I been rollin' drunks for years now.. but it really only pay for my beer. I wanna drive a Lambo & own a big house with an elevator in it. I know I can do it (I hit like a sledgehammer).... I just gotta figure out how Rampage Jackson & Chuck Lidell did it.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanna get paid for kickin' some ass. I mean I been rollin' drunks for years now.. but it really only pay for my beer. I wanna drive a Lambo & own a big house with an elevator in it. I know I can do it (I hit like a sledgehammer).... I just gotta figure out how Rampage Jackson & Chuck Lidell did it.

LoL.:rofl:

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I LOVE YOU:p

Seriously though, you always crack me up:p :p

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hell ya they turn nothing into something , but not always the first try .
I turned $20 into $50 in less then 3 years myself so I know :)

I hear ya guys guess I got no patience for such poop money
I wanna make a living doing this I know I can just gotta figure out what dwan and mercier did

let me know if either one of you come up with something , I wanna try too :)

I wanna be a poker pro who wins because he kicks some aggro asses :) steal my blind one more time mf and I'm gonna slap the sh*t out of you . mess with me at the table and I'll see you in the parking lot . I want a house with a helicopter pad on the roof and an elevator up to it :)

I wanna be a millionaire ..... so freaking bad

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I built my bankroll from $0. End of Story. No Questions Asked.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From what I've read about alot of online poker pros is that many of them start off by playing limit poker to avoid loosing a ton of money from these donks and bad calls you are talking about. The only downside to that is that your profits also may not increase as quickly as they could.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find there are MORE suckouts at limit. People call you down with anything.

TopJimmy99

TopJimmy99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started with 15 dollars in my account a couple months ago and I'm up to about $140 now. I hit a lot of freerolls too, so I don't know if you meant working up your bankroll WITHOUT the assistance of freerolls, but they help a lot. Actually, my best advice on working up a bankroll would be to take advantage of as many freerolls as you can, no better way to gain money if you don't have enough to invest.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started with 15 dollars in my account a couple months ago and I'm up to about $140 now. I hit a lot of freerolls too, so I don't know if you meant working up your bankroll WITHOUT the assistance of freerolls, but they help a lot. Actually, my best advice on working up a bankroll would be to take advantage of as many freerolls as you can, no better way to gain money if you don't have enough to invest.

Well said Brother (Unless your a woman:) )

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management