DanielNeg

DanielNeg

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NP
Chips
I was just wondering what are the major differences between amateurs and pros and I am gonna list some things I know and you can also add things you know so that we can learn together.

Pros:
1) They have the discipline to fold top pairs if they think they are drawing dead
2) They wait for there moment to arrive and when it comes they play it the best
3) They know when to bluff and don’t overdo it
4) They loose some pots but they don’t let it affect their emotion
5) They play it in much more calmer state
6) They try to guess opponent cards and make the best play out of it
7) They play in optimal state majority of the time
8) They don’t put chips in the middle of the pot if they don’t have any equity where amateurs play it just to get pairs

I can’t think anything more than this. Give a like if it was helpful to you and I would love to see other valuable things you guys know ❤️

Enjoy playing poker mates - wishing you the best of luck may poker gods shower all luck to you guys❤️

Last edited by a moderator:
ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think what differentiates amateurs from professionals is dedication, discipline in discouraging moments, the time it takes to study and each one's goal with poker, amateurs see poker as fun, a hobby and etc. with the job

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They understand the "why" behind doing something while everyone else just mimics something and not understanding why they're doing it. And even if someone understand the why then there's the temptation not to follow what they should do so . . . lol.

DanielNeg

DanielNeg

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NP
Chips
They understand the "why" behind doing something while everyone else just mimics something and not understanding why they're doing it. And even if someone understand the why then there's the temptation not to follow what they should do so . . . lol.
Can you please elaborate I can’t understand this it seems kinda interesting to me.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The essentials for the game itself are very well stated. But first we had to learn it. Well, a good bankroll certainly doesn't hurt.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And usually they are able to do all these things better than amateurs players because they also dedicate much more time to study and to develop their poker mind.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, the main difference is that a professional player pays his bills by playing poker. Amateurs play poker, but live on other incomes, for example, pay bills thanks to wages :)

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I was just wondering what are the major differences between amateurs and pros and I am gonna list some things I know and you can also add things you know so that we can learn together.
1) They have the discipline to fold top pairs if they think they are drawing dead
8) They don’t put chips in the middle of the pot if they don’t have any equity where amateurs play it just to get pairs
I can’t think anything more than this.
Give a like if it was helpful to you and I would love to see other valuable things you guys know ❤️
Enjoyyplayingpokermates❤️
Wishing you the best of luck may poker gods shower all luck to you guys❤️
Hello brother

It seems to me that the best answer to your question is what @BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch told you

The question about the "why of a situation" is equivalent to a question about your life itself.

Why do I have to do this???
Why does everything bad happen to me???
Why should I pay interest on something???

Now referring to poker, it is essential to analyze why.

Why should I open with xx card in UTG???
Why should I reraise 3 bet or 4 bet in another position???
Why should I play like this without position???
Why should I play like this in position???
Why should I go all in???
Why should I keep holding a bluff???
Why should I bet 1/3 or 3/4 of the pot???
Why should I call or raise this flop???
Why should I fold????
Why should I press on a bubble???

And many more because I leave it to your discretion

Everything has a reason in life or in poker

Referring to point 1 of your post, I have seen players in hands retire even with full house. The simplest fold is set against flush.

The Pro player is Pro for a reason. He sees further not because he is a seer or a prophet, but he sees further because they spend many hours a day studying hands, ranges, equity, practicing, analyzing their own hands, analyzing tournaments played , etc.

For something and not by chance Phil Hellmuth already has 18 wsop bracelets, or many players get to climb that high. This has a physical/mental preparation because they are professionals.

For example, if an engineer built a 300-story skyscraper in the desert and another engineer barely builds a house with 2 rooms, for some reason one is building skyscrapers and the other is building neighborhood houses. It is not referred to luck, but is referred to the capacity and goals that each one has in his life.

Well for me something very similar happens in poker.

Years ago I used to cry like many of us because of the badbeats. Until I discovered that at least 80% of the badbeats had them because I played badly. So that's when I started to reduce the number of badbeats, that is, to balance playing in cash the badbeats against with the profits in favor.
As a consequence, now the majority of the badbeats are, for example, an all in I go with QQ and the villain with 1010 and hits a set at the showdown.

Do you understand the concept????

If you have any questions, I will try to explain it better. Since I see that you are quite interested in the game, I like that a lot.

cheers bro keep it up:):):):)

Jardel Barros

Jardel Barros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The luck and unpredictability of many amateurs end up making professionals nervous, as they cannot decipher the amateur's hand.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pros own ignorant souls to make a living.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
A professional is much higher in level than an amateur. The lover can become a professional. A professional is not an amateur.The pro provides for himself. And the amateur enjoys it.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A professional is in the black, an amateur is in the red.

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I can’t think anything more than this.
Give a like if it was helpful to you and I would love to see other valuable things you guys know ❤️
Enjoyyplayingpokermates❤️
Wishing you the best of luck may poker gods shower all luck to you guys❤️
The major difference between a pro and a recreational player is the strategy, the pro player has a long-term strategy.
The pro player has a bankroll, a bad beat doesn't matter because by playing the hands correctly in the long term they have to win.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Many differences...one of them is they don't say Poker ist rigged or think it is 😉

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hi:)
The pros are Daniel Negreanu Phil Ivey and others and the amateurs are you and me and others.
The difference between us and them is that they take poker seriously and not as a game for fun, and also strict compliance and respect and application of all poker strategies and skills, psychological skills in particular, and the desire to gain more endless experience in this game, which cannot really be fully and permanently mastered.
We all try in tournaments to reach the paid seats, and after reaching the paid seats, we try again to reach the final table, and after reaching the final table, we try and do everything we can to win the first place. This is what we want and we try to do it every time.
Good luck;)

Last edited:
Skot_Gy

Skot_Gy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
They never stop learning, improving imo. That is key factor in any domain

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Professionals have studied a long time to develop a good job and have had a bit of luck along the way .

Jardel Barros

Jardel Barros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The pros can do a long poker session in about 9-10 hours...
This is one of my biggest challenges as an amateur. The tournament starts to take a long time, I get impatient, tired hehehe, then I leave the planning and start playing wrongly to end it soon or move up to the chip leader.

I need to improve this!

Nikon10000

Nikon10000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Professionals invest more time and effort into learning the game, have in-depth knowledge of strategies and odds, and are willing to risk large sums of money. Amateurs play mainly for entertainment and enjoyment, relying on luck and intuition