GOOD stuff

this is a lot of good stuff to know Thanks MAN

D

D-Assassin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I posted this link in another thread, but Nick asked me to make it a separate thread, so here you go; hopefully you'll find something useful somewhere.

I'll take this opportunity to make a disclaimer that I don't think is made often enough by people who write articles on poker: There are very few "always" and "nevers" in this game. I don't think that any of you are going to take advice I give as infallible, but I want to point out that I'm encouraging you not to. Nothing is set in stone, and critical thinking and discussion will take you - and me - further than any blog post ever could. If you feel that I've made an over-generalization in one of my posts (which I have) then feel free to point that out. I'm not always as clear as I should be on when I'm talking about full vs. shorthanded tables, for instance, nor do I always specify that I'm (usually) talking about limit hold 'em scenarios.

Having said that: Enjoy the reading.

Edit by Nick: Here's the link - Compilation of Poker Strategy Blog Posts » Online Poker Blog

very good information above.

Thanks

M

MAUROJR1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this antologick

i like your forum , good kkkkkkk, this antologick

L

lucky10477

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks very well spoken and informative F Paulsson

U

uradonk406

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol

Boy do i ever agree with you....too many times ive found myself making the mathematically correct descision and getting flogged by the deck. I said in another thread that i felt ( and this is especiallt true about online) thatyou are 50/50 before the flopand i stand by it.Random number generator my butt....watch how many longshots hit online... ant then see how often it happens at the brick and mortar...those of you who have been playing a while will understand what i mean lol. If you cant see the white of their eyes how can you trust em????

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing I don't like about poker books is they inhibit creative thought and situational thinking. If you think of all the different card combinations in poker, your tactics are multiple too and you have to adjust to the others at your table. That is why no one wants to sit down with a table of solid players. It is very difficult to consistently win.

T

tony318881

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ty

hey that will help me out in the long run so i think you for buting it up

I

I Eat Pjs

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ty

Some cool info... bored and felt like reading .... but interesting.

CursedSoul

CursedSoul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wery usefull stuff here :) tyvm

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
First off... thanks alot for posting this stuff. Just this evening I went onto the CC forum wondering where I could find a collection of decent strategy blogs & such and then I stumbled upon this. Thank-you.
I'm an avid freak for poker knowledge, have read umpteen books (many of them, many times over) and thousands of pages of stuff stored on my computer (some excellent 'e-books' in there and just tons of stuff I look over pretty much on a daily basis).
My game (which I figured was always quite good) has gotten better by leaps & bounds. A new book can't be published without my curiousity being sparked (newest addition is 'Winning Poker Tournaments - One Hand At A Time' by Jon Turner, Rizen & Apestyles.... good book!).

Now onto my next comment re: quote below. I've heard many who insist that poker books are a waste of time (some from players who've played for decades) but I've never met one of them who have actually even read one, lol. And the couple of close friends I have who've played for many decades (40+yrs. each), they are actually quite clueless when it comes to any discussion about tournament play.... cuz they haven't had the input of what is offered in poker books,.. restricted to their own tunnel vision.

..... enjoy your next read as I'm sure I'll enjoy reading through some of the saved posts in this blog. Thanks Again!!
In a Tip from Phil Ivey, he says all the books and strategy tips have their place, but when you sit at a table forget em!

To summarize his take: Be Your Own Man.

He says you can pick up useful things, but you shouldn't try to play the game like a book or you'll just be playing like everyone else.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
One thing I don't like about poker books is they inhibit creative thought and situational thinking. If you think of all the different card combinations in poker, your tactics are multiple too and you have to adjust to the others at your table. That is why no one wants to sit down with a table of solid players. It is very difficult to consistently win.

Almost all of the poker books I have read (the most recent ones anyways) do exactly the opposite of this statement here... 100%!!! I could write pages on this... but I think my first line sums it up.

R

Razello

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
TOP SITE ,really , ia m really surprised, i am searching in many pokerforums, but i like the activity and good staff here go on like that!!!

J

jonnydread

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
a book is just a guide as odds are...yyou ned to play both loose and tight and at the right tmes to win ...but something to say for the consistant placing of the pros in the poker tournys....just some random thoughts
play hard gl all

M

mange

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is Very Complicated

Needless to say, poker is a very complicated game. It appears that some writers of poker books try to simplify the game, which is an impossibility.

I do not have a clue as to what advise to give to others in how to play good poker. Because it involves so much.

Appears that it takes years of experience to even come close to being a good player. And, then there is the luck factor,which no books can even come close to understanding.

In my "donk" opinion, learn the ABCs of Poker, get as much experience as possible, and be patience. Wait for good cards. And, attempt to read the other players as much as possible.

That and a million other things will make you a good poker player.

Object of poker is to win money. If you win money, you are a good player.

:) :) :)

C

ChurchSkiz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is some really great stuff in here. The one about folding where you talk about winning money not winning pots really hit home for me. I find myself putting money into "good" hands that might be beaten because I really want to win that specific pot. In the long run, this is where I lose most of my money.

I

infrared

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what to do

this is not a 'hand specific' question, just opening a discussion about a particular situation that arises repetedly. In tournament play when you fop a strong hand such as 2 pair or you hold AK and an ace hits the flop...say you bet big and are re-raised all in with two two a suite on the board...typically, I am up against a guy drawing to a flush and literally, 13 of the last 14 times he has hit his flush. Do I fold 2 pair when reraised there...especially if the person is on a flush draw? it's very discouraging to see so many players put their tournament life on the line wit a flush draw??

infrared

BuggyX

BuggyX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great articles thank you for all advices

scooter9748

scooter9748

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
advice

I think you are doing a great job any advice is worth reading its up to the reader to accept it or not..Keep up the good work:smile:

H

herestoya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for sharing, you always have very useful info. I have read and played a lot and always manage to pick up something new. This was very useful.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i checked it out briefly. you seem very dedicated to the cause, lol. i have a long way to go before i post any strategies.
i'll be returning and seriously scrutinizing your work, lol.
good luck on the felt. :)

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the excellent writen articles..They will be very useful to many.

C

CashinJen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
read your blog

alot of interesting stuff and good advice there is a little bit i disagree with but not much. you have a good grasp on poker. Ive been playing for only 5 years now and alot of it I'm just getting. Thanks

D

Deucelamron

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks alot for all of the advice it has been very helpful

H

hakahill

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you very much for your insight. I have only been playing for a short amount of time and have found the tips you have given very helpful. unserstanding how hands are positioned helps to understand the game better. again thank you very much for your post.:) ;) :)

BLieve

BLieve

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On Hand Reading

I have a question on one of your blog strategy posts the one titled On Hand Reading. Here is the direct quote from the section in question.

"$1/$2 NLHE: We make it $6 from UTG with 88, and this particular player re-raises to $14 on the button. We know have his range down to JJ+, AK or AQ. The flop comes A-Q-8. We check, he bets $20, we raise it to $50 and he moves all-in for the rest of his ($200) stack.
Should we call?
In this situation, he either has AA, AK, AQ or QQ. These are the only hands he will move in with. We crush some of his range, and we’re completely crushed by the rest of it. What’s our move? I know the answer before doing the calculations. Do you? Either way, here goes:
Given that there’s an ace and a queen on the board, some hands become less likely than others, “combinatorically.” Whereas there are 16 ways to get dealt AK from any two cards out of the full deck, one of the aces is now spoken for. There are now only 12 ways left to be dealt AK. Let’s look at all the hands he can have:
AK - 12 (4*3) ways.
AQ - 9 (3*3) ways. Both a queen and an ace are spoken for.
AA - 6 (3*2) ways.
QQ - 6 (3*2) ways.
There are 12+9+6+6 = 33 possible hands he can have been dealt preflop that make sense. We’re huge favorites against 22 of these, or precisely two-thirds. We must call."

There are 6 ways to be dealt a pair so if an A and Q flops so using the combinatorically logic where AK goes from 16 ways to 12 ways dealt, wouldn't that reduce the AA and QQ combinations down to 3 ways each?

Status
Not open for further replies.