Not open for further replies.
F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I posted this link in another thread, but Nick asked me to make it a separate thread, so here you go; hopefully you'll find something useful somewhere.

I'll take this opportunity to make a disclaimer that I don't think is made often enough by people who write articles on poker: There are very few "always" and "nevers" in this game. I don't think that any of you are going to take advice I give as infallible, but I want to point out that I'm encouraging you not to. Nothing is set in stone, and critical thinking and discussion will take you - and me - further than any blog post ever could. If you feel that I've made an over-generalization in one of my posts (which I have) then feel free to point that out. I'm not always as clear as I should be on when I'm talking about full vs. shorthanded tables, for instance, nor do I always specify that I'm (usually) talking about limit hold 'em scenarios.

Having said that: Enjoy the reading.

Edit by Nick: Here's the link - [dead link]BD2

Last edited by a moderator:
crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your threads are valuable. Thanks alot!

C

crackerman58

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nice set of tips

I just signed up and started browsing... lots of cool info here. Thanks for posting such good advice.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is this where we can post our various strategies that we would like to share with other users?

D

desinet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nice, I want to learn to play poker !!!

A

AKKiller14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TY very much

Im a new member
and it semms i have to learn alot and then
from the best ;)
TY very much for your blogs

Grundy

Grundy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lot of good info there, thanks. Consider yourself bookmarked.

M

mange

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lots.

I posted this link in another thread, but Nick asked me to make it a separate thread, so here you go; hopefully you'll find something useful somewhere.

I'll take this opportunity to make a disclaimer that I don't think is made often enough by people who write articles on poker: There are very few "always" and "nevers" in this game. I don't think that any of you are going to take advice I give as infallible, but I want to point out that I'm encouraging you not to. Nothing is set in stone, and critical thinking and discussion will take you - and me - further than any blog post ever could. If you feel that I've made an over-generalization in one of my posts (which I have) then feel free to point that out. I'm not always as clear as I should be on when I'm talking about full vs. shorthanded tables, for instance, nor do I always specify that I'm (usually) talking about limit hold 'em scenarios.

Edit by Nick: Here's the link - Compilation of Poker Strategy Blog Posts » Online Poker Blog

Thanks a lots. I appreciate any help to improve my game.

angie
icon7.gif

P

phisig6057

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Edit by Nick: Here's the link - Compilation of Poker Strategy Blog Posts » Online Poker Blog

Excellent analysis of the thought processes involved in the multi-part blog. Very well written and obviously well thought out.

A

Amhent1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When i am playing hold em, I like to wait till i feel the opponent out and most times let them bet themselves out even if i know i have the best hand. I find that if they see me as weak, they will over bet and try to steal the pot. Then of course i am called every name in the book of poker curses, LOL. That is when poker is fun!!!!

4999Perish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just yesterday i was reading on position. Well, today I was playing in a freeroll. Hit a couple hands and was moved to a different table.Came onto table with 2295 chips. Ater 9 hands "winning 6 myself" I have over 18k in chips.I lose my next hand ,but at the end of it the winner types in "I was afraid to go heads up with you cause you never know what kind of crap you pull out". Thanks to this forum I am a threat in only 1 day. Keep up the good work.

4999Perish

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a Tip from Phil Ivey, he says all the books and strategy tips have their place, but when you sit at a table forget em!

To summarize his take: Be Your Own Man.

He says you can pick up useful things, but you shouldn't try to play the game like a book or you'll just be playing like everyone else.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil Ivey can say a lot of things. Trying to be your own man at $25NL, however, is more likely than not to just cost you money. By far more likely than not. And the assertion that playing "by the book" will make you play like everyone else can only be made by someone who hasn't read the books. I've yet to encounter games where my opponents all play by the book. In fact, if you have the savvy to actually understand everything a decent poker book tells you, and - more importantly - the discipline to play accordingly, you'll do very, very well as a poker player. You may never afford to sit at Bellagio's Big Game, but you'll be pulling in 4-5 figure amounts yearly almost certainly.

... which probably puts you in the top .5% of poker earners. Not up there with Mr. Ivey, but certainly above the other 99% of players who try to be their own man.

It's a little bit like Salvador Dali saying that you shouldn't take an art class because you'll just end up painting the same way everyone else does. But there's virtually none of us who are realistically shooting for creating a $10M painting; our goal should probably be more along the lines of drawing something that resembles, say, an apple.

Statements like that, in other words, are kinda dumb.

/FP

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, try to be your own man, after you already know everything in the books, and when you're playing against people who know it as well.

O

oazar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
here to lose

hey all,

i have the worst luck on internet poker, but you should all be aware of my tatics.

hope to play with all you soon.

Oazar

E da-lhe tricolor paulista!!!!!

M

mike_nodak

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
very good articles, so farr blind betting hs been very helpful. thanks for sharing

D

DAMJR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great advice

Concern yourself with winning the money, not the pots. Thanks!!

itlegacy

itlegacy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great articles; food for thought. As stated not the end all / be all; but very useful. I find the using the reverse strategy, e.g., "driving out" article oft times brings me back from the brink when getting seriously short stacked. Many aggressive types get into a "habit" of taking my chips, figuring any hand will remove me from the table, they place themselves at risk ... and that's when I capitalize {grin}.

And another tactic I use under that philosophy .... I "duck" when they're aggressively chasing me, and let other(s) take them out {smile} ... folks might be surprisee how often that works in getting to the final table online.

KILLERPOT

KILLERPOT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am ging to have to sit down and read the link sure it is something good

starsmyle

starsmyle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW this is a lot of good stuff :) tyvm

A

Aces4Kitty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
super insight and valuable advice. go sticky!

R

ross1shark

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Really well-thought out and concise. The thing I like most about this particular post is that it is informative without being "preachy" or over-confident, and is detailed without being an "always/never" type of post (those are all-too common today). Good job, man.

Sted

Sted

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Great tips! (at least for me, as a beginner)

D

donkeykiller

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way to go your stard articles are valuable sir keep up the great work

Status
Not open for further replies.