Best thing youve done to help your poker career

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting off playing on "autopilot" and start paying attention to what the other players were doing. You can play some limit games like that, but I did better when I got a line on the other players. It's especially helpful for no limit play.

Also, taking notes about tough hands for later review. It helps to know how you handled those tough decisions, win or lose. Keep accurate records of how I'm running. Are losses due to runbad, or playbad? Winning sessions luck, or A game? Helps to know these things.

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do not care what anyone else thinks, just play and let nature take is place

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1) position

2) understand that you are not anywhere near as good as you think you are.

When I realised these two things, poker became so much easier.

OpenTheCan

OpenTheCan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best thing Ive done ever for my poker career is drop out of the University of Donkeyville early on.

TEG2300

TEG2300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A huge thing I have done recently is that I have removed as many stresses from being at the table as I can. So what that means to me is that I know I am sitting at the table with an appropriate amount of my (tiny) bankroll and that my amazing wife is rooting for me to crush my opponents. It has helped free me to be fully there and confident. I am finding it easier and easier to trust my reads at the table.

N

no1here

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
working with pencil and paper, kept notes on every session played, kept track of stats assuring improvement, notes on other players also pays big rewards

R

reaper60

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to identify who at the table is there to play every card dealt to them, be patient and I really try to not to get mad at players who go all in before the flop. That is so senseless before seeing the flop. Be patient.

S

sKiTzo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Atm I would say I'm a losing player at poker, but I'm slowly learning new things and improving my game. If you had to pick one key thing you've done in the past that has helped you to become a winning player what would it be?
Not being a winning player sort of exempts me from this question but I would say that I will become a winning player when I find just the right moderation between aggressive and conservative. I need to be able to fold a top pair sometimes.

S

sKiTzo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree with the dont drink and play but, what relly helps besides playing lots of live games as well as online is learning patience not playing too many hands!LEARN TO FOLD
Exactly, don't play too many hands is probably the most repeated and fundamental pieces of advice ever.

P

Porcupinetree7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning position, trying not to get all in pre-flop in early stages of tourney. And basically trying to reduce my variance by limiting flips. Play small ball poker and know when you can steal a pot for cheap.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spending time away from the virtual felt is vital. It's not healthy to be surrounded by poker ALL the time. If you actually have a life, try having a group of friends that don't talk about poker. Eating healthy and regular exercise will also help improve your game. Try watching a poker video every morning, review your hand histories, post hands in forums, discuss poker w/ smarter players. These are a few things that will help improve your game.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing 6-max a week ago.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are quite a few things that have helped me considerably, many of which have been stated by others. It's hard to pick just one as the best because I wasn't the same player when I got each of them into my head. So, I'll put down one that hasn't been said so far, which was to set my ego aside as much as possible.

This takes various forms. One is that I don't (well, almost never) concern myself with whether I'm better than certain players, whether my win rate is higher or lower than theirs, etc. Another is that I don't feel obligated to play at a particular level even when I'm not on my A game. Among other things, this helps keep my losing streaks shorter. A third is that I don't inflate my expectations by basing them on thinking my results when I run well represent my level of ability.

sCATpoker

sCATpoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best thing I ever did for my poker game was to get up and do something besides playing poker...life has so much to offer, dont forget to live your life...If you sit around the computer all day playing cards is no different than being locked up in a cell.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As mentioned before I agree with no alcohol,or being drunk playing cards.
I also have learned to stay in my limits, and play more tournaments instead of putting all my eggs in one basket.
I have found that to be the most profitable thing I have learded.
To just grind it out slow instead of tring to win it all at once.
I have also learned to not play cash games and tournaments on the same day,some people can make the transition from cash to tournament or tournament to cash,but me not so much :).
that has helped me alot to be profitable.
but overall I would say bankroll managment is a key element.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise or FOLD . as simple as that.delete calling from the option menu.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise or FOLD . as simple as that.delete calling from the option menu.

I can relate to what you are getting at, disagree when its said in such a general way.

So many times when calling is the best move, and said like the above will mean lots of people take it literally and will end up being -ve to their game

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can relate to what you are getting at, disagree when its said in such a general way.

So many times when calling is the best move, and said like the above will mean lots of people take it literally and will end up being -ve to their game[/quote
obviously i used it in a general manner of course but calling will get you nowhere.if you have outs and you wanna continue its better to raise cause this way you have more ways of winning the pot and also you dont let your opponent know where your at if your on a draw. after you see a flop or after getting raised,you must think about whether you think your hand is better than your opponents or not.if you think it is,then raise but if you think its not then fold.calling is a move that i really try to avoid although i do use it sometimes. depending on what kind of a game im playing.tourney, sit and go, cash, hyper turbo, etc.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best thing is to take it not too serious, see the (very) long run. Its much less stress.
And to join a poker forum.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Joining cards chat there is a large variety of strategies and, it comes from a lot of different backgrounds. Which is most helpful!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best thing was stumbling onto the info that Carbon offers a free handtracker. I got it around August of last yr. As you can see, it's helped me a lot.

I went into a horrible downswing and I was going thru a rough personal time with the gf, so unbeknowst to me it must have affected my play a lot.

My bankroll went to a few BIs from 0 but since getting the handtracker it's been pretty much smooth sailing. It's much easier not needing to rely on memory to make a decision.

Attachments

• timeline.jpg
    timeline.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 57
starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So many times when calling is the best move, and said like the above will mean lots of people take it literally and will end up being -ve to their game[/quote
obviously i used it in a general manner of course but calling will get you nowhere..

Again, I totally can relate but, microstakes especially calling is sometimes the most sensible move.

Plus when you flop a made hand with an aggrotard spa zzing off, calling is way more +ve on the flop and turn, usually inducing a desperation river shove.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, nothing is absolute. Depends on the villain. Calling is the preferable move in many spots.

bezobrazny

bezobrazny

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make a good bankroll and that money shouldn't hurt you if you loose some. I consider myself not a gamble addict even I play poker a lot but always I take poker as a game. I am not a rich guy and maybe my approach is wrong but before the all, I play poker for fun even when I played 1M on partypoker (640$ buy-in) which is my biggest buy in ever for online poker game. Be smart but don't think to much about the chip value, that's the bottom line.