become smarter by playing poker

M

matnautico

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, seriously, lets not act like playing for multiple hours in front of a pc is healthly for the body or the brain.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just discussing this with my son. I feel early dementia:)

cazual88

cazual88

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did not think about that. And even after the thought, I did not seem that my memory has improved. Money became more, but the memory is not :)

Emixilian

Emixilian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the poker game is a maturity game.. It takes pacient and a lot a lot of concentration . You need to be calm with your money and know what you spend. Your poker game reveals more than you think :)

partyboy392

partyboy392

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course you will become smarter!
I find in Poker 3 useful things:
bankroll Management.
You'll learn how to set a budget, stick to it, and accurately track profit/loss. If you don't, you'll get broke really quick.

Risk Tolerance. You'll very quickly realize how risk averse you are when playing high stakes no-limit Texas Hold'em. Even calling pre-flop all-ins with AA is nerve wracking when you know you're 20% to lose vs. another pair.

Controlling Emotions. You will go on tilt. The question is, how do you respond to it? Can you hold it together or will you lose everything? How will you handle it afterwards?

dirtyoldog

dirtyoldog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love people who act smart with their computer assisted stats telling you the odds and trying to act like pros making positional moves with no cards
then get slammed and say sigh

STL FAN

STL FAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Having gone back to school, retooling my thought process after already passionate about poker; school taught me to think existentially, profile information only by not labeling opponents, how to make new memories, and replace old memories. Psychology allows a person to understand how the brain works. I used terms, concepts, and flanking poker with psychology simultaneously; I was going to school and playing poker around 10 hours a day, between 5-7 days a week for the four plus years that I attended school.

Before going back to school, struggles with poker were many and frustrating at times. However, learning new information helps to create new memories, learn why and which memories apply to poker and then retool the thoughts about why these situations were controlling my play instead of conscious or unconscious thoughts building new memories that allowed my brain to form new memories; some that were fixed from my pre psychology poker decisions and others created from psychology.

This carries over into my life that has helped the mental part of my life away from poker as well as the mental game of poker from what psychology has taught this poker player. A strong mental game was what I was looking for and through school your post backs up what was taught in school about how a person can help their memory by training their brain and using their brain to help with being mentally fit longer in life to help us live a better quality of life as we age.

The brain is a muscle and how we train by what information we consume. The mental part of poker is part training of how to use the information to make quality decisions; the other side of the coin is to understand how to use my brain instead of the brain using us. Then use the information against my opponents when I know the information is using them instead of them using the information to make quality decisions. Psychology allows confidence to relax the brain when playing, but emotion is necessary to perform, using emotional intelligence to monitor my state of mind when under pressure allows me to see my opponents clearly to make the best poker decision. I am 52 years old and absolutely agree with your post.

T

TryTo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can become smarter only in poker, playing the one. It is also true for chess, backgammon and other pseudo-intellectual games. imho

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I believe that people over 50 should not play poker just because the nervous system is not made of iron, they may not survive the next streak

Oh man..lol.. On behalf of the over 50's, there are a lot of very smart people out there, before playing poker. New challenges never hurt anyone at ANY age.

Like Fletchdad said..

'use it or lose it' ;)

1prophecy

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

to be honest.
i love playing poker online or on the felt.. just the atmosphere and the community is great.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yean, its good brain exercise. better than watching tv imo.

R

Robb17

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Smarter

Poker is played by many different players, different races, ages.Everyone plays a bit different.you can and should learn from everyone. Even the worst newest player you ever played against can teach you something. keep learning experimenting.

Good Luck

D

Demagog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm 62 and I constantly use this prevention against atherosclerosis. While successfully. :)