**2009 WSOP Main Event Discussion** (Caution: Most likely has spoiler news within)

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, i just remember him being like

I HAVE KQ AND NEED RUNNER RUNNER. ONE TIME GOD, LET ME DOUBLE UP AND GET BACK TO 1/2 AVG STACK SO I CAN GET MORE TV TIME EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT EVEN THAT FAMOUS

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
lol i don't get how sully erna gets so much face-time. like, who the f knows anything about godsmack or whatever they're called?

Godsmack was huge for a few years in the late 90's/early 00's

Funny story, they were suppose to go into the studio a couple years back, but Sully won a couple hundred thousand in a poker tournament, so he decided not to go back into the studio.. the rest of the band didn't like that decision, lol.

I've never been a big Godsmack fan, myself.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Lady Penalized, Patronized
An unfortunate lady was taken aside by a floorman who most apologetically explained to her that she was being penalized for checking the nuts. "You see, you had the best hand possible, so if someone bets you have to raise and if someone checks you have to bet, you have to create action. See, if you don't, then it's more like a home game, with everyone just checking and all friendly..." The lady in question looked suitably patronized, and was issued her penalty on top of that."

WSOP official update

That's actually a rule?

wait, like, no joke?

and this is checking in position right?

S

sharpone

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My dreams squanderd

It so crazy this year that i didnt make it to the wsop this year, i really thought i would make it. It was all of a sudden like isnt the wsop going on right now as i sit at work. Then when i played on fulltilt i would be in the fantasy poker league on there and it was picking players in the different tournies, then it dawned on me " I should be one of these names" oh well better luck next time right

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol i don't get how sully erna gets so much face-time. like, who the f knows anything about godsmack or whatever they're called?

Guess ESPN takes whatever they can get. Tobey Maguire makes a point of hiding himself the entire time and there's only so much of Ray Romano, Jason Alexander and that other guy that the public can take. Plus Erna usually runs deeper than all the other aforementioned C-listers.

Still an awful band though.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From pokerstars blogs

Main Event Final Table payouts

1. $8,546,435
2. $5,182,601
3. $3,479,485
4. $2,502,787
5. $1,953,395
6. $1,587,133
7. $1,404,002
8. $1,300,228
9. $1,263,602

6494 players, 648 paid, 648 pays $21,365

2008 6,844 players -- 2007 6,358 players

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Lady Penalized, Patronized
An unfortunate lady was taken aside by a floorman who most apologetically explained to her that she was being penalized for checking the nuts. "You see, you had the best hand possible, so if someone bets you have to raise and if someone checks you have to bet, you have to create action. See, if you don't, then it's more like a home game, with everyone just checking and all friendly..." The lady in question looked suitably patronized, and was issued her penalty on top of that."

WSOP official update

That's actually a rule?

When I was in Vegas a few weeks ago that was the talk of the town.... NOBODY likes that rule and everybody is saying something about it! I personally don't like it either..... What if you don't relize you have the nuts.... it happens everyday!

From players that played in a few events this year stated is that that if you are LAST to act and you check the nuts you get the penalty?

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would suck at the end of the day tired wore out etc.Flop top pair or so an get played back at,then runner runner A high flush an just don't see it. Has happened to me prop most people one time or another.Just not to offten but sucks to get a 5-15 min penalty or whatever over a simple missread.I get that it's there for collusion,but there telling you how to play whats next no check raiseing the flop,no 3bet out of postion etc.Food for thought.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From PokerStars blogs

Main Event Final Table payouts

1. $8,546,435
2. $5,182,601
3. $3,479,485
4. $2,502,787
5. $1,953,395
6. $1,587,133
7. $1,404,002
8. $1,300,228
9. $1,263,602

6494 players, 648 paid, 648 pays $21,365

2008 6,844 players -- 2007 6,358 players

That's not too bad. Some people were expecting a lot worse.

ryodejaneiro

ryodejaneiro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like Day 1d was a bit chaotic based on the recap that I saw on WSOP website. This included a guy who thought he registered for Day 1d but in fact registered for 1a (though the speculation was that he may not have been blinded out), 500 or so players who didn't get to register because the Amazon room was full (I believe the 500 would've pushed the field past last year's mark), and Phil Ivey saying he did not want to be on the featured table that upset some others at the table because those players could've gotten some sponsorship money. Some bad beats off the poker table.

WSOP Day 1d

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was in Vegas a few weeks ago that was the talk of the town.... NOBODY likes that rule and everybody is saying something about it! I personally don't like it either..... What if you don't relize you have the nuts.... it happens everyday!

From players that played in a few events this year stated is that that if you are LAST to act and you check the nuts you get the penalty?

And what is the penalty in question?

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man i don't know what up is there 2 day2s or just one?

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There should be two day 2s. Those who played Friday and Saturday are playing their day 2 today, and those who played Sunday and yesterday are playing tomorrow.

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok..... so this has me wondering why they changed the payout structure for 2009.... Look at the numbers below:

2009 WSOP:
6,494 players
Total prize pool of $61,043,600
9th place $1.26 million
1st place $8,546,435

2008 WSOP
6,844 players
Total prize pool of $64,333,600
9th place $900,000
1st place $9,119,517

Shouldn't this year's 9th place make less than last year?
Not to mention that they pushed 500 people away on the last day.... So sick.... They could have even used that money for administrative fees or something.... let the people play. I don't know how they are "sold out". Yes they had four months to pre-register.... so they should have. You are entitled a full refund if you can't make it or have other obligations... Look at Jamie Golds year 8,773 players..... how do you "sell out" of seats after those numbers?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They let too many people wait until the last day to start. There are plenty that could have started earlier including Fredrik. He preferred and requested the last day - but could have started on the 4th. You don't have 4 day 1's and let almost half of the field start on one of the days - duh.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They let too many people wait until the last day to start. There are plenty that could have started earlier including Fredrik. He preferred and requested the last day - but could have started on the 4th. You don't have 4 day 1's and let almost half of the field start on one of the days - duh.
yeah but u cant control how many ppl come and register on the last day instead of other days, cause not everyone pre-registers

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah but u cant control how many ppl come and register on the last day instead of other days, cause not everyone pre-registers

You can tell from the pre-registration what the approximate balance is. They have done this long enough to know that the last day gets the highest percentage of last minute entries. My motto would have been better safe than sorry and I would have been moving people around. Why have a day 1 with less than a 1000 people - I thought that long before the final day ever rolled around. They should shoot for some kind of balance - even leaving the last day with the fewest to start, having most already started in the first 3 days and leaving the last day to fill up from the satellites and last minute registrations. I would have cut pre-registration for that day off at about 500.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
having the first two days on independence day weekend was a really smart idea.

D

DaSch

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you on that one dakota... I bet next year those 500 people will learn there lesson and register earlier... Now my question is who is in the CL... and fredrick who was the best player you played at a table with?

WSOP