Why is donk betting so bad?

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if a fish (like 40+/x) is donk betting into me on a dry board ill call with ace high as a standard, Then make a decision on the turn whether to call again or fold, then fold river if triple barreled

If a reg is doing it, a majority of the time ill fold ace high

Wes747

Wes747

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if a fish (like 40+/x) is donk betting into me on a dry board ill call with ace high as a standard, Then make a decision on the turn whether to call again or fold, then fold river if triple barreled

If a reg is doing it, a majority of the time ill fold ace high

I would definately agree with this. Lots of times you will find that its good to float the donk bet on the flop, because the turn will be checked to you. A good majority of the time (no clue what exact percentage) in this scenario you will be able to bet the turn with air and get the better to fold. If he just calls and then bets the river I would watch out as he probably has a very good hand.

M

Mamushi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WHOA! I haven't been back recently so I didn't realize how out of control this thread got.

My mistake for not clearifying and getting people in trouble. So donk betting example:

Hero limps UTG
Lots of folds
BTN Raises
More folds
Hero Calls

Flop is whatever:
Hero Bets... <- THis is Donk Betting, Hero was not the preflop raiser but OOP he made the initial flop raise.

Doing this normally is a great way to lose alot of money, but the point of this thread was to talk about when it might be OK. I like alot of the responses, so thanks, and again sorry if I got anyone in trouble by making a bad OP.

Deco

Deco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lmao this thread is hilarious.
Especially watching the people who are aware of what a donk bet is gettin so wound up. :D

Personally I never bother with donk betting myself, if I'm gunna bluff I'd rather they get their c-bet into the pot first and me to hit them with a check raise, or if the flop isn't very c-bettable I'd rather watch them check and affirm they have not hit it before considering to bluff.
Its not something I will never consider i just can't see any benefits for it at my current lowstakes play.

D

DravenUmbra

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The difference between donk betting and being a donk is the entire usage of the system. If you're sitting small stack and you've got suited connectors, and 8 of the 10 people you're sitting with calls a pot bet pre-flop, it's fairly safe to say that someone in there has a high pair, which would beat you hands down. But, you know that the chances of that person catching the third one is unlikely due to the amount of callers.
The donk bet means you call. Stay in it for a little while to see where it goes, whereas being an actually donk means you re-raise.

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So to sum up:

Donk value bet = good

Donk bluff bet if you think villain will fold = ok

Donk bet with weak/medium strength hand = bad

jj48fan

jj48fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im almost scared to ask this without looking like a tard and worsening this thread but can a donk bet work as a defensive bet if you have a good draw and you are 1st to act.

I feel if I check the OR is going to bet at least half of the pot but If I bet a third on a good draw I may just get called instead of having to decide weather to call the half pot CBET.

I understand I can c/r a good draw but that can sometimes lead into the villan shipping it on me.

Please be gentle

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im almost scared to ask this without looking like a tard and worsening this thread but can a donk bet work as a defensive bet if you have a good draw and you are 1st to act.

I feel if I check the OR is going to bet at least half of the pot but If I bet a third on a good draw I may just get called instead of having to decide weather to call the half pot CBET.

I understand I can c/r a good draw but that can sometimes lead into the villan shipping it on me.

Please be gentle

Nah this is the point of the thread I thought, since it's actually a discussion about donk bets.

Against a bad opponent this is definitely valid and is very similar to a blocking bet. In fact against a good opponent it may work as well, just because especially small donk bets sometimes are confusing and if villain has a marginal hand they may just call to control the pot size. If you are playing against players a lot who will make reads on you that's when it gets important to mix up what a donk bet means. Doing it with weak draws like that are perfectly reasonable as long as there are some sets/strong combo draws you want to stack mixed in. The only problem is if you bet 1/3 pot with a weak draw and 1/2 to 2/3 pot with a set it becomes a bit transparent. But if either you're not playing with a ton of good regs or else you're betting most hands like 1/3 pot in that spot it can be perfectly valid imo.

Marklar

Marklar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think donkbets are the most annoying and confusing things that I come across in poker. I rarely do it myself but I do use it sometimes. I just find it to be a very uncomfortable position to be in. The only way I see it being useful and I think it's the reason most people do it, is using it as a semibluff when you are on a draw. It can be cheaper than checkraising if you are the type that'll bluff on a flush draw.

S

starlogic

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Donk

next person to post in this thread without clearly having at least vaguely understood the topic and not just having seen the word "donk" and taken it as a license to post garbage gets banned for a week.

(i.e. i've had to clean this thread up and i don't like having to do work)

Hahaha! Well said Dorkus...I laughed at this reply :)

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think donkbets are the most annoying and confusing things that I come across in poker. I rarely do it myself but I do use it sometimes. I just find it to be a very uncomfortable position to be in. The only way I see it being useful and I think it's the reason most people do it, is using it as a semibluff when you are on a draw. It can be cheaper than checkraising if you are the type that'll bluff on a flush draw.

why did you have to resurrect an 8 year old thread?

1noname1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donk bet is a technique to intercept the initiative when you are out of position, but you need to know when it can be used.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As the title states; Why is donk betting so bad?

I mean, can't we all think of situtations where it is the right thing to do?

On hyper turbos u must more donked to live

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Donk betting can be very annoying!

Donk betting can be very annoying! Donk bet is the bet your opponent makes against you, even if you were a preflop raiser. It is very difficult to understand which card your opponent has when he does donk betting against you. The opponent can bluff or he can have a nuts

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars