What are you, an idiot?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a day left before someone wins the gold. Get your entries in before it's too late!!! Act now this offer won't last!

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like this, FR you speak of. Hot of the press:

full tilt poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 8 players - View hand 844768
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

MP1: $9.75
MP2: $10.55
CO: $8.75
BTN: $11.17
SB: $11.48
BB: $10.00
Hero (UTG): $14.60
UTG+1: $16.76

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is UTG with A Q
Hero raises to $0.40, UTG+1 calls $0.40, 4 folds, SB calls $0.35, 1 fold

Flop: ($1.30) 5 7 4 (3 players)
SB bets $0.80, Hero raises to $2.20, UTG+1 folds, SB calls $1.40

Turn: ($5.70) 9 (2 players)
SB bets $3.50, Hero raises to $12 all in, SB folds

Final Pot: $12.70
Hero wins $11.86
(Rake: $0.84)

Obviously has an over pair but can he fold it? I think so. The flop bet is because it's over-cards a lot of the time or a weak over pair. QQ+ ship pre right?
He calls so I learn towards weak over-pair but he doesn't like it and is thinking about folding.
Brick the turn and he bets but I go with my read and I think he can fold as he hesitated on the flop and turn.

He backs me up :)

J_Jeff90: set?
J_Jeff90: folded JJ there
Gone Goose: good fold

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He never folds JJ there and you rarely have a set there. You're both fos. The best he folds there is 56. :) Really, I mean you raise UTG so small pair are a very small part of your range and what kind of idiot flat JJ in the small blind vs 2 callers. Trust me 56/67/78 is the top of his range.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He probably is fos but I felt he had a weak hand. I do represent a big pair and if he really was dumb enough to put me on a set then I'm playing against the right people. The only part of his range I fear is a set, and sets are hard to hit, he also just didn't feel strong. Also I like to raise and make people fold.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The river fills the backdoor flush, and a straight if villain had 75. Yet the villain checks once more. I don't put him at all on a flush, and he would most likely bet if his draw hit, or if he for some reason was slowplaying a strong hand this whole time. Since I actually have some marginal showdown value with my small pair, I gave thought to checking back, since I beat all of his non-pair draws. But it would really suck if had Jx or 6x or 99 and was getting sticky with them. Plus, I believed I could credibly represent a wide range of strong hands with a line of betting all three streets, that any medium strength hand of his couldn't call.

The key, I believe, is that the villain was a thinking player. It's difficult to represent a hand, or range of hands, if a villain isn't thinking about your cards in the first place.

Nice. Quoted and highlighted 'cause this is something that people often forget when they're playing against a mixture of thinking and marginally sentient players.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this don't count for it because at the time i was down 2 87bb.I though i was reping 33 i was going to check raise the turn when he checked behind i knew i could take it on the river.Lol was i wrong
Full Tilt Poker $5/$10 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 844897
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $887.50
BTN/SB: $973.50

Pre Flop: ($15.00) Hero is BB with A :heart: T :heart:
BTN/SB raises to $30, Hero calls $20

Flop: ($60.00) K :diamond: K :heart: 3 :club: (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN/SB bets $40, Hero calls $40

Turn: ($140.00) 6 :heart: (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN/SB bets $100, Hero calls $100

River: ($340.00) 5 :diamond: (2 players)
Hero bets $380, BTN/SB calls $380

Final Pot: $1100.00
Hero shows A :heart: T :heart: (a pair of Kings)
BTN/SB shows 8 :diamond: K :club: (three of a kind, Kings)
BTN/SB wins $1099.50
(Rake: $0.50)

OL was i wrong.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did along time ago before i had kids,and a wife.I treated it like a live game untill i had to withdraw for money you need to raise a family.Then i found cc thats the reason if you have read my post i have a real hard time with brm when i have had a few 2 many cold beer.The hands sticks out in my memory because it played so weird,or he might have belived me because of the smooth call on the river given it was hu any thoughts on it.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had to edit the hell of my last post because i looked up an seen i post the wrong hand where villan checked turn in postion on a paired board still a good bluff to post o.
Edit the hand i was thinking about flop was 10 10 3 villan was holding 10 10 bet small on the flop in postion and checked behind on the turn an then i gave him a real big gift of 870 bucks.

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did along time ago before i had kids,and a wife.I treated it like a live game untill i had to withdraw for money you need to raise a family.Then i found cc thats the reason if you have read my post i have a real hard time with brm when i have had a few 2 many cold beer.The hands sticks out in my memory because it played so weird,or he might have belived me because of the smooth call on the river given it was hu any thoughts on it.

Given that it was HU, I HATE it. Ranges are so wide HU and no one ever has shit. I think you'd get called there by lots of random underpairs. You're repping a super narrow range so he calling with all his bluff catchers if he is even decent. That's why I asked if you regularly played HU that high. I just figured if you did you know that bluff was almost never working.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok wv i see what your saying but just calling on the river there with k8 means he had is doubts correct?An if he had his doubts might not have been a real real bad play.Or hell it might have been.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, he can't raise because you're not calling a shove with a bluff obviously but I think he's calling with TT there as well. Basically I don't think you're folding almost anything that your Ace high isn't already ahead of.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see what your saying but isn't it +ev to raise there unless he puts my range on a bigger k,33,or maybe 66?But I'll take your word for it because you have much more experience than me.

GunslingerZ

GunslingerZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice. Quoted and highlighted 'cause this is something that people often forget when they're playing against a mixture of thinking and marginally sentient players.

Why does your quote say it was from 'bigjoker66', when it was from me? Forum bug? No biggie, thanks for the comment.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see what your saying but isn't it +ev to raise there unless he buts my range on a bigger k,33,or maybe 66?But I'll take your word for it because you have much more experience than me.

I have zero experience playing that high. I have never played HU beyond 50nl or maybe a few hands at 100nl.

That said, if he raises what are the chances that you call the shove with worse? Here are the Kings he currently beats: K7, K4, K2. Everything else that bets/calls a shove has him crushed (I guess the world's worst played AA calls sometimes but shouldn't). So if he shoves he has basically turned trip Kings into a bluff hoping you'll fold K9/KT??? For him calling is the way to go.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe but if i was just floating the flop with atc i would call a shove on the river with any type of bluff catcher like a6 45 etc.Might be the reason i don't make a living at it but none the less i still would hu in this spot because to me his shoving river range is wide the hell open thats the reason i said for him it had to be +ev to raise the river.Got to go but like the insight WV many thanks.

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do I get the text out of my hem to convert?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And the winner of the $15 is zCorky for his love of betting until they fold and at 10nl no less! Who ever said no one folds at the micros?

I was hoping for a few more submissions but I do think there was some very good discussions throughout the thread. I would like to thank all who contributed hands / discussion throughout.

zCorky PM me your FTP screen name and I'll transfer the funds later this evening.

Poker Stars $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BTN: $9.85
Hero (SB): $10.48
BB: $9.24
UTG: $8.37
MP: $13.06
CO: $10.75

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB with Q K
3 folds, BTN raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $0.80, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.70) 8 A 2 (2 players)
Hero bets $1.10, BTN calls $1.10

Turn: ($3.90) 3 (2 players)
Hero bets $2.30, BTN calls $2.30

River: ($8.50) 5 (2 players)
Hero bets $6.28 all in, BTN folds

Poker Stars $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players
The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

BB: $2.44
UTG: $2.56
MP: $3.44
Hero (CO): $4.30
BTN: $0.96
SB: $2.00

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is CO with 8 7
1 fold, MP calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.10, 2 folds, BB calls $0.08, MP calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.31) K K Q (3 players)
BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $0.24, BB folds, MP calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.79) 4 (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $0.58, MP calls $0.58

River: ($1.95) T (2 players)
MP checks, Hero bets $1.14, MP folds

Villain was very loose passive 35/0/1 over some 50 hands. The bet on the river was based on a couple of things:-

We were very deep.
No King was checking on the river.
No queen was calling down into a 200BB pot.
Villain had a relatively low WTSD (20%) for his looseness, and I figured he was folding at least 50% of the river.

DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats zCorky! This was very enlightening WV, good idea. Combed though hundreds of hands and really couldn't find any great examples trying to bluff someone off or getting called on an overbet bluff. Idk does this mean I need to try and bluff more:confused:

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats zCorky! This was very enlightening WV, good idea. Combed though hundreds of hands and really couldn't find any great examples trying to bluff someone off or getting called on an overbet bluff. Idk does this mean I need to try and bluff more:confused:

Well I'd say you at least look for spots where bluffing makes sense rather than just always playing your hand for exactly what it is. If nothing else you'll start to think about your opponent's range more.

Z

ZCorky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Hey!!!!

I have been absolutely swamped at work but thought I should check this thread this morning to see how it all went!!

This will be the start of something beautiful at FTP, and I will put some ideas together to turn this into a challenge.

I have played very little poker this month (some 2-3k) and both of these hands came from that batch.

My simple thought process to pulling of a bluff:-

- Choose the villain in advance. Loose postflop, but rarely going to showdown - These villains are a veritable gold mine for you.
- Choose yourself a hand that connects well with the flop. Both of the above were AK.
- Try to play in position.
- Play the hand exactly as you would if you had your imaginary hand.
- Make sure everything you do is consistent with the hand you are representing (i.e. give up if scary turn and river comes). Nothing is worse than shoving the river with a story that makes no sense.

Z

ZCorky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my rush this morning I forgot to (publicly) thank WV for the prize. His input into this thread (both intellectual and financial) is amazing.

I intend for the prize money to form the core of a new challenge on FTP at (not if) the completion of which I have every intention of re-distributing the prize money back into the CC community, again to raise the profile of bluffing.

W

WillySmackYoAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope it's not too late to be considered. This was a result of just wanting to get funky.

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (5 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (MP) ($12.69)
Button ($10.25)
SB ($7.90)
BB ($16.11)
UTG ($3.92)

Preflop: Hero is MP with
2d.gif
7h.gif

1 fold, Hero bets $0.35, Button calls $0.35, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.85)
qh.gif
4c.gif
js.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $0.85, Button calls $0.85

Turn: ($2.55)
ad.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $2.55, Button calls $2.55

River: ($7.65)
kd.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $7.65, Button calls $6.50 (All-In)

Total pot: $20.65

Results:
Button had 3
club.gif
, A
club.gif
(one pair, Aces).
Hero had 2
diamond.gif
, 7
heart.gif
(high card, Ace).