Think I need more practice, but how?

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello poker people, how are Y'all doing?

Man, I'm here to just vent it out.

Recently I won at a 2000+ field freeroll at PS and ended up with U$ 9 to play with and burnt it in cash tables the same day.

I really like playing cash and obviously I play micro 02NL cause I definitely still have a lot to learn but most of all I feel like I need more practice.

Cause once in a while I do my game review (always the day after when I'm refreshed) I do go to Flopzilla to practice some hand reading and also understand the odds and percentages and use PT4 to find leaks and use it as far as I know how to.

But I just can´t make my currency won graph go up.

I play by position, by range, use odds and equity... Most of the basic and all, and still can't have a significant reward for all my study and effort.

I feel like I do have to play more cause by practicing I might grasp all the theory studied better but at the same time I have no money to spend right now on BR for cash games so all I can do is play on the freerolls and keep spending the earnings from it in cash games.

I really like playing poker and it would be all good if just had the money and time to spend on it but I don't.

Actually I had to stop playing for a while cause of a gig I had and recently got back to it and I'm realizing that I just can't be profitable at poker with the short time and money that I have.

Guess I'll have to quit it.

Damn...

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
friend, I don't see the need for you to leave the porker, but to control your earnings a little more, I win in the freeroll and manage, for example, I win $1, I use $0.20 or $0.25, the rest I accumulate, I always use only 20% to 25% maximum of my winnings, when I don't win, I don't use my cash

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is great that you were able to win a freeroll tournament, believe me I think those are probably the hardest tournaments to win. Now, you can't play rake games the same way you play tournaments, those are 2 completely was of playing. I still can't make a profit on raked poker without losing it again. Keep learning and good luck.

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, you can learn the best experiences and poker skills from the freerolls ... only really bet money when you think you can play poker properly

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's okay for you to end up with 9 dollars as long as it's money you won't miss. Now as for the volume of studies and practices, only you can decide how much is enough unless you're part of a team :cool:

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Sorry to hear that you feel like quitting poker.
I hope you find a way not to.
You can be a recreational player, not really aiming for profit. And not loosing money neither.
888 poker offers a lot of freerolls and GG gives away daily free tickets (very low value but still free)

CC too gives away a lot of money through its freerolls and a lots of knowledge through its forum and its articles and courses

Who am I to tell you what to do, I am just reacting to your post.

Gl with whatever decision you make and I wish you the best.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you guys.

These are all good advices.

Maybe I'm just frustrated with being broke and wishing I could earn a living with poker which is something I like instead of working on something just to pay the bills.

friend, I don't see the need for you to leave the porker, but to control your earnings a little more, I win in the freeroll and manage, for example, I win $1, I use $0.20 or $0.25, the rest I accumulate, I always use only 20% to 25% maximum of my winnings, when I don't win, I don't use my cash

That is great that you were able to win a freeroll tournament, believe me I think those are probably the hardest tournaments to win. Now, you can't play rake games the same way you play tournaments, those are 2 completely was of playing. I still can't make a profit on raked poker without losing it again. Keep learning and good luck.

In my opinion, you can learn the best experiences and poker skills from the freerolls ... only really bet money when you think you can play poker properly

I think it's okay for you to end up with 9 dollars as long as it's money you won't miss. Now as for the volume of studies and practices, only you can decide how much is enough unless you're part of a team :cool:

Sorry to hear that you feel like quitting poker.
I hope you find a way not to.
You can be a recreational player, not really aiming for profit. And not loosing money neither.
888 poker offers a lot of freerolls and GG gives away daily free tickets (very low value but still free)

CC too gives away a lot of money through its freerolls and a lots of knowledge through its forum and its articles and courses

Who am I to tell you what to do, I am just reacting to your post.

Gl with whatever decision you make and I wish you the best.

ObiwanJ

ObiwanJ

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that's helped me learn and maintain focus is to spend time learning before I play and then go into a session viewing it as practise. That way it doesn't matter if I loose some, I invested in learning and working on a specific skillset in poker. Then after I try and review hands I was unsure of and try to figure out where its best for me to spend my next learning session.

Like today I played some zoom games on pokerstars, I won a decent bit for micro stakes but I also identified areas in my post flop gameplay that I need to research next to help me improve.

B

bethqueen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend, don't give up!
Continue on your journey because poker depends on a factor called experience and we have to go through this whole process to evolve, like everything else in life.
Play your tournaments for free and learn from your mistakes and try to hit the next tournaments as you succeed time and time again in pursuit of what you will seek. FORCE!

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aw BethQueen, how nice of you.
I really appreciate both of you for sharing.

I used to trade stocks last year. Mostly futures.
Stopped cause I had no BR to do it.

Recently doing some gigs for this new blockchain I got paid in crypto and got back to trading and from this I got a really cool image at a trade and signals group on Telegram and I would like to share it with you guys cause it has a graph of a trader journey that I believe that totally relates to a poker player also.

There it is:
Photo6181633124056805503

One thing that's helped me learn and maintain focus is to spend time learning before I play and then go into a session viewing it as practise. That way it doesn't matter if I loose some, I invested in learning and working on a specific skillset in poker. Then after I try and review hands I was unsure of and try to figure out where its best for me to spend my next learning session.

Like today I played some zoom games on pokerstars, I won a decent bit for micro stakes but I also identified areas in my post flop gameplay that I need to research next to help me improve.

Friend, don't give up!
Continue on your journey because poker depends on a factor called experience and we have to go through this whole process to evolve, like everything else in life.
Play your tournaments for free and learn from your mistakes and try to hit the next tournaments as you succeed time and time again in pursuit of what you will seek. FORCE!

ObiwanJ

ObiwanJ

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is exactly right. I actually have been trading crypto since 2013 and my profit and loss looks exactly like this chart. And let me tell you, once you have that initial big loss because you think you know what you're doing, it takes determination to drag yourself through the learning process.

Not everyone has the right personality type to really dig in, get your head down, and spend quality time learning. But the end results are worth it and you learn a lot about yourself along the way.

Great chart!
Aw BethQueen, how nice of you.
I really appreciate both of you for sharing.

I used to trade stocks last year. Mostly futures.
Stopped cause I had no BR to do it.

Recently doing some gigs for this new blockchain I got paid in crypto and got back to trading and from this I got a really cool image at a trade and signals group on Telegram and I would like to share it with you guys cause it has a graph of a trader journey that I believe that totally relates to a poker player also.

There it is:
View attachment 302752

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

You can sign up and meet qualifications to get to Platinum level and play freerolls of CardChat tournaments, and it dosent cost anything. You can also play for very minimal amounts of $, like 10 cents, and get alot of practice in.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Recently I won at a 2000+ field freeroll at PS and ended up with U$ 9 to play with and burnt it in cash tables the same day.

I really like playing cash and obviously I play micro 02NL cause I definitely still have a lot to learn but most of all I feel like I need more practice.

Cause once in a while I do my game review (always the day after when I'm refreshed) I do go to Flopzilla to practice some hand reading and also understand the odds and percentages and use PT4 to find leaks and use it as far as I know how to.

I play by position, by range, use odds and equity... Most of the basic and all, and still can't have a significant reward for all my study and effort.

I feel like I do have to play more cause by practicing I might grasp all the theory studied better but at the same time I have no money to spend right now on BR for cash games so all I can do is play on the freerolls and keep spending the earnings from it in cash games.

I really like playing poker and it would be all good if just had the money and time to spend on it but I don't.

Actually I had to stop playing for a while cause of a gig I had and recently got back to it and I'm realizing that I just can't be profitable at poker with the short time and money that I have.

Damn...

Don't worry, you're not alone in winning some money and giving it right back. Happens to everyone. Maybe you should get some more experience so you know without a doubt how much you would need to hang around the tables if things don't go your way.

I would laugh at some folks that I used to give/loan one of my old 2+2 poker books to because they would read it, glance over it and I was hoping they wouldn't return it for a LONG, LONG time lol because it takes awhile like months/years to understand a lot of the concepts in some of those books. They would glance over it and give it back in a few days or maybe like 2 weeks then I would watch them make the same mistakes they were doing before I gave them the book, lol. And I knew the answer to their problems was in the book I gave them, they just needed time to work with the material and digest it.

You can't read, watch a video on something or play with a program and expect to know what you're really doing. It takes time to truly understand concepts and know how to act when you're in a certain situation. It just takes time.

But the best players in the world have gone broke but its harder to go broke when you treat your game more like a business and have the discipline to say things aren't going your way and recognize when its time to stop.

Even if you were the best player in the world it wouldn't matter because of variance. You need to know how much you really need in order to play at a certain level to deal with all the bad beats and that depends on how your opponents play and your playing style. But you need to work on other things than just your game is my point.

Focus on bank roll management. Don't play for 4, 5+ hours straight in a tourn then go play the cash games for a nice chunk of your money. If you normally don't play a certain game then you have to scope the table out before you even attempt to play at that table. Find out who the regulars are and what to expect from them.

There are numerous lessons to learn but the best ones are the ones that YOU see as a problem and try to fix but I think its more than just your poker game that you need to look at to fix this problem from happening again.

GL

Last edited:
zoy4749

zoy4749

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play more freerolls and will definitely come

A

andreyfrost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Brother, play freerolls. You can raise your game level for free. When you are able to constantly get into the top, you will be able to play more expensive tournaments.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't worry, you're not alone in winning some money and giving it right back. Happens to everyone. Maybe you should get some more experience so you know without a doubt how much you would need to hang around the tables if things don't go your way.

I would laugh at some folks that I used to give/loan one of my old 2+2 poker books to because they would read it, glance over it and I was hoping they wouldn't return it for a LONG, LONG time lol because it takes awhile like months/years to understand a lot of the concepts in some of those books. They would glance over it and give it back in a few days or maybe like 2 weeks then I would watch them make the same mistakes they were doing before I gave them the book, lol. And I knew the answer to their problems was in the book I gave them, they just needed time to work with the material and digest it.

You can't read, watch a video on something or play with a program and expect to know what you're really doing. It takes time to truly understand concepts and know how to act when you're in a certain situation. It just takes time.

But the best players in the world have gone broke but its harder to go broke when you treat your game more like a business and have the discipline to say things aren't going your way and recognize when its time to stop.

Even if you were the best player in the world it wouldn't matter because of variance. You need to know how much you really need in order to play at a certain level to deal with all the bad beats and that depends on how your opponents play and your playing style. But you need to work on other things than just your game is my point.

Focus on bank roll management. Don't play for 4, 5+ hours straight in a tourn then go play the cash games for a nice chunk of your money. If you normally don't play a certain game then you have to scope the table out before you even attempt to play at that table. Find out who the regulars are and what to expect from them.

There are numerous lessons to learn but the best ones are the ones that YOU see as a problem and try to fix but I think its more than just your poker game that you need to look at to fix this problem from happening again.

GL

Totally brother/sister.

I do understand what you're saying and agree 100%.

Knowing who you're playing with even before going into a table is major. Sitting at table that seems to have the "right" players and you're in the right position is just one part of it.
One thing I'm working on is to hold my bets for a few orbits until I get a feel for the table.

One thing that I really have to learn is tilt. Sometimes you just get into a cooler or even make a bad decision and simply want to get those chips back by any means... Not a good strategy hehe.

And I do just like your buddies, I know the theory but have not enough practice.

Well, really appreciate the reply.

Wish you the fattest pots.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Brother, play freerolls. You can raise your game level for free. When you are able to constantly get into the top, you will be able to play more expensive tournaments.

play more freerolls and will definitely come

You can sign up and meet qualifications to get to Platinum level and play freerolls of CardChat tournaments, and it dosent cost anything. You can also play for very minimal amounts of $, like 10 cents, and get alot of practice in.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I do play on the CC freerolls and they are the best.

I'm even trying to gather people to find these password sharing $%#@ cause there's no better freeroll than the ones we find here.

Once again I really appreciate it.

May the Royal Flush be with you.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is exactly right. I actually have been trading crypto since 2013 and my profit and loss looks exactly like this chart. And let me tell you, once you have that initial big loss because you think you know what you're doing, it takes determination to drag yourself through the learning process.

Not everyone has the right personality type to really dig in, get your head down, and spend quality time learning. But the end results are worth it and you learn a lot about yourself along the way.

Great chart!

You are?

That's sooo coool...

Yeah, we should take these losses as investment right?

People spend thousands in universities to learn something so this should sort of like a practical university right?

You got knowledge and I really appreciate you for sharing it.

May the felt be the place of winnings to you.

A

Arciukas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
better dont play free (it's not helping for knowledges and skills) better watch hands analises or how playing over prof player online.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
better dont play free (it's not helping for knowledges and skills) better watch hands analises or how playing over prof player online.

Okay... But then how you get to put all that knowledge into practice?

How do you get to know if you really learned anything?

Have you ever heard that theory without practice is empty and practice without theory is blind?

There's other versions to that but undoubtedly one complements the other buddy.

One of my favorite references for learning poker is Jonathan Little who takes the active learning approach whereas he gives theory followed by practice.

Another concept I really believe in is constructivism where there's theory followed by practice.

Thanks for your perspective. I'll take the hand analysis and watching pros which I already do in consideration.

Wish you tilt free time at the felt and in life.

A

Arciukas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay... But then how you get to put all that knowledge into practice?

How do you get to know if you really learned anything?

Have you ever heard that theory without practice is empty and practice without theory is blind?

There's other versions to that but undoubtedly one complements the other buddy.

One of my favorite references for learning poker is Jonathan Little who takes the active learning approach whereas he gives theory followed by practice.

Another concept I really believe in is constructivism where there's theory followed by practice.

Thanks for your perspective. I'll take the hand analysis and watching pros which I already do in consideration.

Wish you tilt free time at the felt and in life.

I just whant to say, that, then u playing freeroll, your skills have no point, exept final table, or in the money. In freeroll all come to be crazy, and doing every crazy think, so if u go all - in with AA and some1 call u with 84 or any over loosing cards. Better mini day after day, play 1-5 tournament with micro buy-ins, and after day check your hh, start to find where u did mistakes or where u can did better for value pot.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It is unavoidable that you lose every now and then and getting upset about it does absolutely nothing. And since you had the benefit of a freerol, you better just be happy that you did it. I know it's annoying when you've lost everything again, but you shouldn't forget that you've done it before and can therefore do it again. All you need is a little more discipline and paying attention to the brm. I wish you continued success in your upcoming poker games

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
U should study 'variance'

Damn...

Bro, u just need patience, cause, as u said, u don't have a BR big enough, so u can't handle the variance. Those concept u talked about show you know at least the basics mechanics of the game, but u will only see the results in the long (very long) term, and a lot of times you'll be making the most profitable play, and still get crushed by variance when the fish hits that miraculous card on the river.

Don't be attached to results, stay focused on learning the process, and eventually the results will show up.

StomatologT

StomatologT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Damn...

Friend, reading your story I realized that you are really trying very hard to get better at this game and that is very commendable. And you're doing everything right, it's worth watching some more types of courses, as well as just games of poker professionals. And of course you shouldn't give up poker so abruptly, take a break, take a break from it for a month or two. And with new zeal come back, we will wait for you in our community! Good luck :)

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is long term and beating the rake for many is something they never actually accomplish. Break even and profitable players aren't as common as you may think, but with determination and continuous effort, starting with bankroll management you can achieve your goals.