Study books or hire a coach?

YuriDitz

YuriDitz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're willing to invest the money, it's better to hire a trainer.
Because the trainer will be able to pick up an individual program and fix your shortcomings.

M

MrUnlikely

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would suggest a few things:

- if your BR is $100, you should only be playing 5nl. a BR is a certain size to adjust for variance. playing 25nl with $100 isn't sustainable. BR mgmnt is key. also move up with your BR. beat each level first.
- don't play zoom
- don't drink when you're playing.
- find one game and buyin that you feel the best at and stick to it
- keep all distractions to a minimum so you're only focusing on poker. i listen to brainwave music on youtube. they have tonnes of options and they're like 8 hours long. set the timer on your phone so that you take regualr breaks.
- print up the hand range charts for each position and keep them in front of you. stick to these!!! keep them there until you feel you don't need to look.
- make flash cards on hud stats so you get good at qucik decision making. colour code the ranges for each stat.
- i think i study/play abut 50:50. i have about 8 paper books, 12 pdfs and watch youtube content by guys like evan jarvis, alex fitzgerald, nathan williams, james sweeney, john little.... these guys are good for lower stakes and are great teachers.
- i also listen to a podcast called Poker Mind Coach which is really good for the mental game. they're about 30-40 minutes (on youtube) and good to listen to in the car. the mental strength philosophies are applicable to all aspects of life and i really enjoy them. they interview everyone.

i hope this helps and wish you the best of luck. i'm no pro, but i am a winning player at 5nl/10nl. it is a grind for sure. right now i make about $1.5 to $2/hr playing 6 - 8 tables at 5nl. definatley not rich lol. my goal is to move up again next year and get up to 25nl and make ~$5+/hr. but this will take a lot of hard work both studying and grinding.

best of luck bud

Thanks for your thoughtful advice. I hope you have moved up. Although I am not the best at bankroll management, I really think you should move up to 25NL and give it a shot. The reason for this is that I think you already have the skills to beat 25NL because I don't think it is much different from 5NL or 10NL. I found 50NL quite a bit different and tougher than 25NL. In general, I found the players were more aggressive, which is nice when you have a good hand. I shouldn't really be giving you advice, because it sound like you are doing everything right, but take a chance if you can afford it, you deserve some real cash for all your effort.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can of course work with the trainer, but now it will be more relevant to work with solvers yourself at the moment it will be much more efficient

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better to build up a HUD database and study some books that subscribe to the basic poker philosophies that you agree with.

Study whatever you can and when you feel like your game cant be improved any further or your missing something. The HUD that you are using can take a overview and show you where you are losing money. It sounds like you used your HUD to analyze SB and 3 betting.

Hand history is likely the first thing that a coach will ask for to get a better idea of what youre doing wrong. There so much you can do on your own. Due to the expense of a coach, I would only involve a coach once I've done everything else.

Will a coach fix your discipline issues? You can if you come to know yourself.

Last edited:
thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Better to build up a HUD database and study some books that subscribe to the basic poker philosophies that you agree with.

Study whatever you can and when you feel like your game cant be improved any further or your missing something. The HUD that you are using can take a overview and show you where you are losing money. It sounds like you used your HUD to analyze SB and 3 betting.

When it comes to no-limit hold 'em or no-limit anything, you're better off tossing a coin.

jleon_zat

jleon_zat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First you learn by yourself, then you perfect it with a coach, I continue studying by myself.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If books do not help, then of course hire a coach

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
any action will be correct, but the difference between them is significant. By reading books you will gain theoretical knowledge, and a good coach will be able to point out mistakes in making decisions on the game.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I like to watch videos and take courses, currently I got an offer to join a poker e-sport team, but I would like to read more, ¿Do you recommend a book?

H

Hedz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer watching videos to reading books watching live poker events and real life situations, even some professional poker streams. I'm gonna get back into reading though just to help my game a bit more

funnyhook3

funnyhook3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just remove poker from your computer

H

HRVATSKIBOGMARS

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Since you have lost so much money unfortunately it is already called gambling addiction (all that is played for money is gambling). It would be best for you not to play for money anymore but just for fun and to seek help with rehab.

offshore11000

offshore11000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should try to overcome the micro limits before hiring a coach, in my opinion. Another situation is your habits, it's that story that it's easier to change the course of a river when it's shallow than when it's deeply rooted in the plain. .But it is always possible

A

Anahita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not studding books nor hiring coach I prefer learning from other players that’s the best way to learn poker I think

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
study or coach... neither

I think that you can learn as you play. The more practice and experience you get- the better your game should get. Of course, you can always ask for advice.. but have faith in your own game and let it develop over time.

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
learn by watching videos I think it's the best way

V

viacheslavtezikov

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not a professional poker player, I just need to read books, I don't see much need for a coach.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Hiring a coach is the best and safest way to improve your poker skills.

I think that it's unavoidable if you want to achieve things in real money poker.

O

okr10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Coach, the best way

I´m not a professional player. I have read some books, but it is just info.
If I could, I would hire a professional coach to really understand and put in practice strategy and techincal skills.

But I cant afford it.

vardyonfire

vardyonfire

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
More coaches, more perspectives

I haven't reached the level of hiring a coach yet, but the world is constantly evolving, so you have the opportunity to watch professional players live on different platforms. They make streams of 6 8 hours daily and you can chat with them. They explain many hands and it is very interesting to sit and see how the play goes. That would be my advice.:cool:

Last edited:
B

bronko19999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Book

I think a book is enough at the beginning

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I constantly hear, that periodic training with a trainer,will not replace any other training.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its all about practice makes perfect.. a good teacher and reading is also a plus but practice is the key. The more you play the better you get, so whether its real 💰 or fake..its still practice. Good luck.

EDSON 138

EDSON 138

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I partuculary prefer to study than to contact someone ,maybe they will be to work on my emotional.