Struggling at the micros - Online 1/2c 6 max

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well done, you're building a nice roll. Keep it up.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you had tried the section my game on the party poker? It's great for identify some leaks, there are some tips to help you.

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good comment.:):D

I think MyGame is a great section to learn GTO because ranges and algorithms are exactly based on these inputs. I have played c. 15000 hands at Party Poker and was scoring in pre and post flop play around A-B (highest and second highest level) after studying and applying GTO, solver, etc.

Big surprise, my win rate was jumpy, sometimes down a lot ….so ca. USD +5 over 15000 hands.

One of the key takeaways throughout this thread to just eliminate all GTO play as long as you are playing micro’s. Here you need to play maximum exploitive taking advantage of over aggression (aggro fish), calling stations (putting them all-in with your big hands=big pots) and be careful with small hands=small pots even sometimes throwing away AA, KK and other good hands where fish just flopped some crazy monster i.e. two pair calling everything with any two cards. Or folding top pair against the very nitty of all the NITs. One of the biggest changes and most lucrative in my play are All-INs at the river with big hands (i.e. flush, full-house, sets) – I am surprised how many crazy calls I am getting with two or top pair…

Example max exploitive play: www.cardschat.com/replayer/524ElBhw5

All these out of line changes will get you a very low score at MyGame. A TOP score at MyGame (A level) might be good for medium and high stakes but will set your bankroll on fire at the micro’s. Break even at best.

BTW: HUDs are banned on Party Poker and it’s more difficult playing maximum exploitive due to the lack of statistics on your opponents. A lot of grinders have migrated from the platform so sometimes worthwhile due to the much weaker play compared to PokerStars and 888Poker.

Last edited:
vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
River overbet shoves are extremely profitable at the micros. And, you just need to watch the player type for other exploitable stuff. Last night I had a calling station, like a pure calling station. He would never fold (once he started calling) unless you overbet pot, and if he improved his hand he would bet out. Very easy to play. Yet, I seemed to be the only one at the table who noticed. Everyone else was bluffing off their stacks on the river with missed flush draws (and getting called by things like bottom pair or Ace high). Or worse, they would bet the flop, he would call and the turn would put three hearts out, then he leads out for pot and they shove over him with top pair. Of course he calls with his turned flush. It was insane. Good night for my though.

An example hand to give you an idea of how he was playing: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5qzPgNz

Text Version
$0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 150 BB
SB: 87 BB
BB: 87.5 BB
UTG: 642 BB
Hero (MP): 138.5 BB
CO: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 2 A

UTG calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 4.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls 3.5 BB

Flop: (10.5 BB, 2 players) T 2 4
UTG checks, Hero bets 10.5 BB, UTG calls 10.5 BB

Turn: (31.5 BB, 2 players) 5
UTG checks, Hero bets 31.5 BB, UTG calls 31.5 BB

River: (94.5 BB, 2 players) A
UTG checks, Hero bets 92 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 92 BB

UTG shows Q 9 (High Card, Ace)
(Pre 41%, Flop 25%, Turn 14%)
Hero shows 2 A (Two Pair, Aces and Twos)
(Pre 59%, Flop 75%, Turn 86%)
Hero wins 265 BB

Note: I raise A2s to isolate the bad player for value. I can bet bottom pair for value on the flop and turn because he would bet if he had anything. And, I bet full pot for max value. No worries about sizing smaller, he is calling anyway. He even calls the river bet of 92xbb with Q9o ... queen high, no pair. Full value, no checking behind on this river. I would have also bet a K for stacks too.

My stack is so short here (only a little over 100xbb) because this is shortly after we played a 700xbb pot for stacks on the flop where I had a set and he called with Q2... and rivered a gutshot straight draw. I made it all back and more.

Last edited:
gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Grab a poker book with a chapter on micro stakes or read guides on the micros. Some poker books are available on the internet.

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So funny. Exactly these type of calling station players....it is so profitable:) + the over agressive fish who are running the crazy bluffs.:D It's all about table selection.

River overbet shoves are extremely profitable at the micros. And, you just need to watch the player type for other exploitable stuff. Last night I had a calling station, like a pure calling station. He would never fold (once he started calling) unless you overbet pot, and if he improved his hand he would bet out. Very easy to play. Yet, I seemed to be the only one at the table who noticed. Everyone else was bluffing off their stacks on the river with missed flush draws (and getting called by things like bottom pair or Ace high). Or worse, they would bet the flop, he would call and the turn would put three hearts out, then he leads out for pot and they shove over him with top pair. Of course he calls with his turned flush. It was insane. Good night for my though.

An example hand to give you an idea of how he was playing: https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/5qzPgNz

Text Version
$0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players

BTN: 150 BB
SB: 87 BB
BB: 87.5 BB
UTG: 642 BB
Hero (MP): 138.5 BB
CO: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 2 A

UTG calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 4.5 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG calls 3.5 BB

Flop: (10.5 BB, 2 players) T 2 4
UTG checks, Hero bets 10.5 BB, UTG calls 10.5 BB

Turn: (31.5 BB, 2 players) 5
UTG checks, Hero bets 31.5 BB, UTG calls 31.5 BB

River: (94.5 BB, 2 players) A
UTG checks, Hero bets 92 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 92 BB

UTG shows Q 9 (High Card, Ace)
(Pre 41%, Flop 25%, Turn 14%)
Hero shows 2 A (Two Pair, Aces and Twos)
(Pre 59%, Flop 75%, Turn 86%)
Hero wins 265 BB

Note: I raise A2s to isolate the bad player for value. I can bet bottom pair for value on the flop and turn because he would bet if he had anything. And, I bet full pot for max value. No worries about sizing smaller, he is calling anyway. He even calls the river bet of 92xbb with Q9o ... queen high, no pair. Full value, no checking behind on this river. I would have also bet a K for stacks too.

My stack is so short here (only a little over 100xbb) because this is shortly after we played a 700xbb pot for stacks on the flop where I had a set and he called with Q2... and rivered a gutshot straight draw. I made it all back and more.

Last edited:
B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes, it's a struggle, but poker is just fo fun :D

K

katsbrasil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
katsbrasil

how cool can i have 2 cents can i play and think you can win a lot of money starting only with the minimum

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty good run this week with lot's of different type of fish at the tables. Currently playing 4 tables at NL5.

Total roll: USD 166,-
Win rate: 7.5bb/100 (nl2&nl5 combined)
Total won: USD 108,-
67000 hands

Hope the upswing continues that I reach the next watermark at USD 200,-:)

K

katsbrasil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
katsbrasil

difficult to play on the computers more and very good because every day you learn more and earn more money very good

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Continued upswing :):wavey:

Total roll: USD 248,-
Win rate: 8bb/100 (nl2&nl5&10nl combined)
Total won: USD 176,-
72000 hands

MTTs+SitnGos: +USD 25,-

Started playing NL10 above USD 200,- bankroll level. Great experience and more profitable compared to NL5, very similar players. Biggest skill difference of players is between NL2 and NL5.

Started some MTTs and SitnGos at micro level up to USD 3,50. Great experience and fun so far. Highly recommend getting some exciting variety with cash games.:D

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, see you at the tables:) Playing two MTTs tonight Big USD 2.20 and USD 1.10 NLHE 1000 player cap. Tourney's are my favourite at the moment whilst playing 2 cash tables in the background.

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Had another good week playing with the upswing :)

Total roll: USD 315,-
Win rate: 9bb/100 (nl2&nl5&10nl combined)
Total won: USD 251,-
73600 hands

MTTs+SitnGos: +USD 15,-

Did not do well with the MTTs but the cash games more than compensated. Giving NL16 a shot when bankroll permit.;)