Struggling at the micros - Online 1/2c 6 max

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the comments!

4:39 A9s - The 3Bet was meant to balance my range (polarized / 3Bet as a bluff) because I did not wanted to plays this hand OOP (hoped to get them fold). Perhaps this does not make sense at micros and should 3 bet with an entire linear range only - discussed earlier.
Questions on flush play: On the flop I hit the flush draw and bet 50% pot. Opponent folded. Let's a assume opponent goes All-in. 1. Should I call ? Against a 3-Bet calling range TT+,ATs+,KQs, AQo+ of the opponent, I have c. 48% equity. 2. Let assume opponent calls and I do not hit flush on the turn. Shall I bet out or check the turn ?

Set of 3s. Comment on the set is very good and need to extract more value. On party poker is a auto top up feature and will switch on.

QJ - Was always calling even 3Bets, will have to change my game. I made the same mistake today again :mad:

A8s: Thanks and answers the question on flush play.

107.04 99: A mistake I make often and have to change.

pokerstars session 30min. USD - 0.81 / -42 bb/100

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zcmtw-Wmt4

Poker888 session 60min. USD 0.19 / 15.6

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjvoNW3g5Qbb/100

In terms of bet sizing, I use often 50% or 60% or 100% pot size. Small bet sizing less often because it gets raised a lot and implies weak or drawing hands. Not sure if that´s the correct play?

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the comments!

4:39 A9s - The 3Bet was meant to balance my range (polarized / 3Bet as a bluff) because I did not wanted to plays this hand OOP (hoped to get them fold). Perhaps this does not make sense at micros and should 3 bet with an entire linear range only - discussed earlier.
Questions on flush play: On the flop I hit the flush draw and bet 50% pot. Opponent folded. Let's a assume opponent goes All-in. 1. Should I call ? Against a 3-Bet calling range TT+,ATs+,KQs, AQo+ of the opponent, I have c. 48% equity. 2. Let assume opponent calls and I do not hit flush on the turn. Shall I bet out or check the turn ?

It's ok to 3bet this hand occasionally in late position against a good thinking regular, but there aren't many of those at these stakes. You really shouldn't be worried about balancing your range at micro stakes. Seriously, just raise for value. No one is paying any attention at all, and it's the fish you want to target anyway. Don't 3bet this in the SB, you're out of position and his continuing range is much stronger than your hand. You may have 48% equity against his calling range on the flop, but he isn't shoving all in with this range on the flop. If they go all in, you can remove almost all of those hands from the equation and put him on pretty much JJ+, of which you are behind. You should fold if they shove the flop. And, tbh, this is the problem with 3betting A9s, even when you flop a draw, you're behind against his shove.

Set of 3s. Comment on the set is very good and need to extract more value. On Party Poker is a auto top up feature and will switch on.

Np

QJ - Was always calling even 3Bets, will have to change my game. I made the same mistake today again :mad:

Yeah fold that garbage xD

A8s: Thanks and answers the question on flush play.

107.04 99: A mistake I make often and have to change.

Happy to help

PokerStars session 30min. USD - 0.81 / -42 bb/100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zcmtw-Wmt4

Poker888 session 60min. USD 0.19 / 15.6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYjvoNW3g5Qbb/100

In terms of bet sizing, I use often 50% or 60% or 100% pot size. Small bet sizing less often because it gets raised a lot and implies weak or drawing hands. Not sure if that´s the correct play?

On a paired board, like 3TT or 5QQ or 277 that doesn't have draws you can also bet 1/3rd pot. If you have a value hand, it will mean you can get calls from ace high type hands, and also if the villian will fold, they'll fold for 1/3rd pot almost as much as they will fold to 1/2 pot. Saves you money on the cbet :)

Also, at micro stakes, your small sizing will not get raised anywhere near enough of the time as it should do. Really, I don't even use a balanced betting strategy. I crush 2nl and I bet 3/4th pot or full pot when I have a hand, and I bet 1/2pot when I have a middle or bluff hand. People are not watching your bet sizing. You can be totally exploitable and really crush the game. In fact, to achieve the highest win rates at 2nl you should play totally exploitable. Your money come from the fish, they're the ones who pay you off. Doesn't matter if the odd Reg or two works your game out, there are SO many tables and so many fish.

Here is the rule I use

Against total drooling fish I bet 100% pot on flop, turn and shove river if I want him to call. He'll call you down with any peice of the board most of the time

Against a nit, I bet 1/2pot as a bluff, and 2/3rd pot as a value bet on the flop. Same sizing on turn and river.

I only balance my bet sizing when I'm up against a clear TAG player who is really thinking about the game. Then I change my strategy, just to **** with them and stay balanced.

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, that's excellent analysis and really goes to the bottom of my leak:)
a. Not extracting enough value from big hands
b. bluffing too much with marginal hands, crap hands
c. Calling with marginal hands
d. Trying to play a balanced strategy when there is no-one balanced at all. BTW: After I studied how to play a balanced strategy my win-rate was dropping even more which is indication that a balanced strategy at the Micro's is complete non-sense and will get you bust rapidly.

Will jump on another, completely unbalanced session at PokerStars and post tonight.:)

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

here is my video from today's session. A difficult one...with ups and downs.

2 Tables
65min
+ USD 2.87
139,3 bb/100

In particular difficult: Player EastAveBlue joining after 10min playing VPIP 42%, PFR 17%, 7% 3Bet, Aggf 3.9, Agg 37%.
Lost a number of pots against this opponent since I had to fold a lot...oftentimes I am getting a bit more aggressive and calling down quite loose.

I have a difficult time playing against these type of opponents.

Examples:
24:02 88 vs ? I called his 3Bet and folded post flop (not sure if I should have called him down post flop)

41:53 A9o vs ? He was 3Betting again and I bluffed 4-Bet 60c and he 5-Bet 180c. I folded and lost 66c.

45:35 88 vs. ? He was betting out on a flush board against my 88. On the river pot size 50c and I folded.

the other table
40:54 77 River bet? Again I think that is the wrong play like the 99 yesterday...there are no worse hands that could call me and only get raised with nuts or bluffed.

Last edited:
TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
24:02 = Easy fold flop. Too many overcards. Imo, fold pre. Call with TT+ at 2nl.

41:53 = Villian is getting into your head. You really shouldn't be bluffing this hand. Raise for value or fold. Don't bluff these sorts of players. Either you're ahead with A9, in which case you should just shove all in, or fold to the 3bet. If you're gonna 4bet, you need to be ready to call a 5bet shove against aggro players.

45:35 = You played this really badly sorry dude. Fold flop. Even if he's playing crazy, that board just hits so much of his range. I say again, Fold flop! For every time he has Ace high or a lower pocket, he has an overcard that paired so much more.

40:54 = No way you bet river here :) what are you getting value from????

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I think the hands highlighted in the last video where played wrong. In hindsight it appears clear to me but still difficult to action during live session.

Here is the second part of todays session, which was overall a loosing session but with lots of variety and interesting.

USD -1.67
bb/100 -31,6
90min

Difficult player´s:
1 Makripodis VPIP 42%, PFR 15%, 3Bet 12%
2. KHODUSOV VPIP 27%, PFR 27% -> Shove-fold play with a 50BB stack. I lost AQ vs QJ against him....

0:10 TT vs. JJ Started outright 3 Betting. I hit set and he as well. I went all-in on the flop and got stacked. I think wrong play because the board was highly coordinated...i.e. straight and overcards

6:49 66 vs ?? BU . I folded to 3Bet. Think the right play because his stack was 50bb only?

7:54 QTs from the BU I should have played vs. limper

9:40 66 vs ?? I called the flop and turn bet and re-raised river...opponent folded...

21.10 AK bluff fold correct even that opponent bet 1/3 of the pot on the turn only?

23.22 KJs Betting the River for value? I did not because I thought multiway and opponent might have set and re-raise. However I could have been called by a number of worse hands...

24.43. AK I think the pot size bet was too high. I should have bet 1/3 or 1/2 pot keeping the opponent in right?

28.15....nice flush where I could stack opponent with second best hand :)

I had a number of time QQ and AK...would you always 3 Bet these hands or call occasionally?

I often end up with a 3 Bet AK in a situation such as
39.07...I think fold the turn is correct if opponent is betting into me.

49.48 Full house...I missed the raise for value extraction on the river

59.52 I managed to stack Makripodis with set of 2

From here sprial downwards:

1.03: Stacked with JJ vs AA from an opponent with 13% 3 Bet range.

1.12: Stacked with KK vs 8 set. After betting three streets for value opponent re-raised on the river and I called like a donkey. FOLD WHEN RERAISED ON THE RIVER!

1.18 Stacked with AQ vs QJ by opponent who played shove-fold with a short stack 40BB.
You must have experienced these shove-fold players. Any thought how to best combat them?

Call it a night to avoid tilt and more losses...:)

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got a university deadline for my dissertation due in 9 days, will take a look at this as soon as possible. Might take me a couple of days.

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure. I wish you good luck with the dissertation and keep my fingers crossed this goes well. Assume you are studying something related to Math or Psychology with Poker relevance.

After implementing your guidance and strategy, I am experiencing incredible jumps in my win rate (up USD 19 / 1900hands; see attached).

BET when you have a hand. Fold when you don't. Big hand = big pot. Small hand = small pot.
That's literally it! Fold everything BUT the stone cold nuts against a re-raise from these NITs. Amazing how this works.
I owe you a profit share mate...:)

I am playing 4 tables keeping me so busy that I do not have time to think about all that fancy GTO theoretical play. Just follow very simple principles.

So much fun and back to the strolling fish at PokerStars. Will post my winnings from time to time and look forward to your comments on my play when you have finalized the PhD. Still my game can be improved and I am sure that I will experience depressing downswings from time to time again. Seen you post at 2-5nl, a level where I have ambitions in the future, however need to manage 1-2nl first...

Cheers!

Attachments

• This week winrate.jpg
    This week winrate.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 52
TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're very welcome, thank you kindly I hope it's still working out for you. No need for any share of the profit :D

Can you take me through your HUD please? It doesn't seem to be set up in the normal way. What does each stat mean? what order have you got them in.

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a better view of my weekly stats which I also use to track opponents during play.

In HM3 there are slight differences to Poker Tracker.

Post flop aggression calculated as % player makes aggressive move.

Postf%, Flop Agg%, Turn Agg%, River Agg%

My River call efficiency not sure about i.e. how this should look like.....From left to right the first number "River Call Efficiency" is average return per USD 1 of river calls and check calls. The second number "River Call Efficiency BB'' is the same BB from the situational view of Holdem Manager (see diagram in the beginning of this post -> The steep declining diagram...)

I think a number of stats still need to be improved in my game.

Attachments

• 200522_HUD Stats.jpg
    200522_HUD Stats.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 58
TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should configure your hud like this:
https://www.blackrain79.com/2013/09/how-to-optimize-your-hud-for-todays.html

The three main stats that should be at the top of your hud and is really standard are VPIP/PFR/Agg

Should look like this: 25/22/4 or 12/2/1 or 70/60/5.

Try not to focus too much on your stats for the sake of plugging leaks right now, you're better off just playing a totally exploitative style that focuses on your villain's tendancies. My stats for fullring fish infested games are totally different from my 6max reg games

Stats for fish games = 25/12/2 or something close to that. Stats for reg games = 24/20/4.

Try and make good decisions rather than worrying about stats. The stats will reflect the good decisions. And also your stats could be "bad" but if they win money then it's worth it at the micros. If people always call way too mcuh, you don't need to have high aggression or PFR. etc

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

everything went very well until the last hour today where I intended to make a video for the forum, to show how I have improved my play. It turned out to be a real disaster...I lost 3.5 buy-ins (USD 6.7) in just one hour...see video below.

It is just unbelievable how sometimes bad beats/coolers can accumulate in a very short period of time and hours of play going out of the window, literally burning through my bankroll...

Not sure what I have done wrong and let me know your comments on the video.

Explanation of key HUD stats left to right:
SUM: Player name, hands played
PRE: VPIP, PFR, 3Bet, Fold to 3 Bet, Fold to Steal (green)
BET: Agg, Flop CBet% (orange) FOL: Postflop fold, Fold vs. CBet (yellow)
SHO: WTSD%, W$SD% (red)

Progress report on key stats:
Net won: USD 21.-
Hands played: 16000
Winrate bb/100: 6.7
Really depressing sometimes...yesterday evening I still had over 8.8bb/100 win rate.

Attachments

• 200601 Results PokerStars.jpg
    200601 Results PokerStars.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is another cooler highlight not on the video from todays evening.

A fish went all-in with a flush draw on the turn c. 18% equity vs. my A-J two pairs - both of us deep stacked.

I think I played this right...however sometimes close to give up poker because it needs so much time to win back these big pots.

Attachments

• Cooler highlight.jpg
    Cooler highlight.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 42
mt2lhd

mt2lhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is another cooler highlight not on the video from todays evening.

A fish went all-in with a flush draw on the turn c. 18% equity vs. my A-J two pairs - both of us deep stacked.

I think I played this right...however sometimes close to give up poker because it needs so much time to win back these big pots.

I can't say you did bad, if i was you i would fold on turn and consider his hand a set
but it was bad luck that he took flash draw on turn nobody can blame

M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
More coolers...down 6 buyins...today. What a variance in one day!!!

Attachments

• More coolers.jpg
    More coolers.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 43
M

Meister7775

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

In contrast to yesterday my run to today was just amazing - 7 buyin´s up - bankroll growing!!

1000 hands
68 bb/100
Net won: USD 13.9

Perhaps a variance of 4-6 buy-ins up and down is very normal in these games full of fish and something I need to manage better from the mindset perspective. My new self imposed rule is just stopp playing if I am more than 3 buyin's down + close a particular table if I loose one buyin against a crazy fish. Or is PokerStars rigged? I know it is not true because there is zero incentive for the platform to do so...(-:

Attachments

• 200603 Insane run.jpg
    200603 Insane run.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 40
TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey mate, don't worry about coolers or suckouts, it will even out in the long run. Just play good poker which is what you're doing. If you are suffering badly, you could always use the "cashout" for a few days, just until things turn around.

I'll watch your video today and give some feedback. :)

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey mate, I've got this far. I had to stop because some people came over. Will finish the rest tomorrow

1:59 K7s: you can call and see a flop for this price at 2nl. If you hit you could well get paid off.

6:32 A9s unlucky about the full house. Brutal slowroll. If the guy is a nit, you could just check/call river there. If he’s a fish, then shoving over the top is the correct play.

7:12 A9s again. Raise to 8-10 cents pre flop. For this price it’s unlikely anyone will fold, and you don’t have the best positon or the strongest hand. Isolate the fish with the small stack and get the reg to fold his garbage. Good half pot bet on flop.

8:19 JTo. Check the stack sizes of the blinds. The BB is really short stacked which means if he shoves you’ll be in a very “tough” spot technically speaking. Better off raising this 2x not 3x to steal.

11:07 AQs: You could argue for a flat call here some of the time, but I think with a hand as strong as AQs you need to be 3betting for value, and also to gain the initiative out of position. It will miss the flop 68% of the time or so, so you need to be 3betting to take the pot down when you miss with a strong cbet on most board textures.

Also, when hit, just shove river rather than bet $1. If he’s calling a dollar, he’s calling a shove. Bet for value

12:05 A3s you ran out of time here. You should be looking to bet turn for 2/3rd pot. There are lots of draws here you want to charge to see a river. On a dry ace high board, checking turn is fine as it’s more likely he’ll have a higher ace or better.

A

Ac156519

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Struggling at the Micros

I'm only playing freerolls now to build my bankroll. Sometimes my concentration is so good that I have won two entire freeroll tournments, that value $10. I have won two freerolls within the same week, two weeks ago. Which brought my bankroll up to + $20. Recently it sames like my concentration was off lately. I have lost that what I have won in freerolls. Every freeroll I play, I have being losing. I feel like I'm struggling. Thank you for the encouragement.

Last edited:
Dkerridge14

Dkerridge14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

One hand for review from todays online 6-max cash 1c/2c.

LJ: RFI 3.5bb (LAG player) (Stack 100bb)
BU: Hero 9d-8d calls (Stack 110bb)
SB: Calls
BB: Calls

Pot: 11b
Flop: Qd-8d-6s
LJ: Bet 7bb
Hero: All-in
SB: Folds
BB: Folds

River: Qd-8d-6s-6d-10h
LJ Shows QQ

Not sure if I have played correctly at the flop (Hero). Thought I have enough fold equity and 12 outer: 9 (flush outs) + 3 (two pairs). LAG opponent rivered a full house.

I think in situations like this you do have some showdown value so it wouldn’t of hurt to play a little more cautions and see a turn and evaluate from there.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Meister,

I would highly recommend that you don't use GTO charts for NL2. As I have stated many times, I think this is one of the main reasons why many small stakes players are struggling these days.

GTO is not an optimal strategy for extremely low limit games like this. In fact, it is probably harming your results, as I discuss in this article of mine:

https://www.blackrain79.com/2019/12/gto-poker-strategy.html

GreenDaddy1

GreenDaddy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is interesting what Nathan says about gto charts. I feel it can apply to charts generally once you reach a certain level of experience. They are great teaching tools and visual aids, fantastic for study and building the basics of your strategy, but can actually do you harm in some circumstances.

For a long time I allowed myself to become really tied to pre flop charts, referring frequently and trying to follow them as if they gave me some mathematical edge. I used them as a crutch and they hampered my ability to exploit specific opponents while avoiding others. I'd often either have charts printed out or visible on my screen.

I no longer use them playing micro cash and just now use a combination of my acquired knowledge through study and play AND a decision based on action/villains before me, my position, and villains yet to act.

I feel I play more instinctively now and with intention, i quickly understand why I'm folding, or raising etc. It also informs my possible actions for later in the hand, gets me thinking ahead.

I may occasionally get too wide or too loose, but at least I am acting with exploitative intent, which at the micro stakes is vital to crushing it.

More important than pre flop charts is an understanding of why and WHEN certain hands are strong. These days I work on the application of that knowledge rather than believing a chart has the answers for every question.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Beating a microclimate is very difficult and will take a lot of time and energy — is it worth it ?!