Squeezing with AK?

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just above AK every single time you get them. Its gonna work surprisingly well.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But you win a much bigger pot when you hit. And you get heads up more often. 3-betting AK for value is a standard thing here unless the raiser is one of those 60/1 types.

This is a standard spot. Kinda sucks that you didn't get heads up, but whatever. I still c-bet this board unless I have stats saying otherwise. You can turn a lot of equity.

Or we hit and get trapped with top pair top kicker on the turn.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 people already interested in the hand and you always seem to run into ppl with medium pairs? ... Why not 3bet larger and exploit this.

People tend to overvalue pocket pairs. Sure it's great to setmine for them but if we simply raise a lot larger we can make it ugly for them :) and make them feel sick when they raise pre with them and force them to fold when they get the point not to mess with us.

Put yourself in their shoes... And what makes you feel awkward playing low/medium PP in early position... Well that's what you do, make them awkward :) best of luck man

The only problem with the extra raise is you'll need to keep focus so when they stop calling you can shrink the raise so you still get the value.

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you missed the flop. Your opponents might as well have missed it too so a c-bet could show you how to play this hand and what to do. The c-bet should not be more than this you afford to lose. If they fold you get pot free. If they call, you hope turn is good for u :D. If you get re-raised u`d better fold. I know it`s tough.

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you missed the flop. Your opponents might as well have missed it too so a c-bet could show you how to play this hand and what to do. The c-bet should not be more than this you afford to lose. If they fold you get pot free. If they call, you hope turn is good for u :D. If you get re-raised u`d better fold. I know it`s tough.

When you're against 4 2nl players on the flop with AK high and decide to donk shove it ,You're gonna have a very bad time.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great answers guys. Looking back at this again, I'm still undecided. If I raise I'll get called by more than one player and even when I pair my hand I might be behind a set which is really hard to get away from when OOP. When I raise too big, I'm only getting calls from JJ, QQ and sometimes AQ. The first two hands won't fold to my c-bet when I miss and AQ is always folding, so I get no value. I'm seriously thinking of shoving pre-flop or making an insanely big pre-flop raise and get it in regardless of the flop and race against pocket pairs. Sometimes I can get AQ to call too and the get max value which I couldn't have if I just made a standard sized 3-bet pre-flop.

Not when you have 4 callers. Someone most likely picked up a draw or made a hand and even when their draws get busted, they can easily bluff you off the best hand since they have position.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been seeing a lot of people on this forum advocating this kind of move.

I don't get it and I wish I could convince people that AK should be raised and should be treated like a premium hand because IT IS.

Its like reading forum posts from 2005.

This, I think people are just being results orientated by this particular hand.

OP should look at the mistakes he made such as the small bet sizing, there was a 3BB raise and 2 callers in front of you and you raise to 12BB. Should be closer to 15+ especially since you are OOP they need to pay up pre to see the flop. You gave UTG about 2.3 to 1 on a call, so he is calling and since he called the button is for sure calling while getting about 3.2 to 1 on a call. Also, all 3 are very deep so the implied odds are great on almost any speculative hand.

Also, as played and with this flop I am almost always CBetting here unless stats say they are almost never folding.

You have the Ac as a flush blocker, takes away LOTS of flush draws that would of called pre. Only real flush draws are small suited connectors which is no where near UTG's range and it is very unlikely he holds them. The button maybe, but it is a very small part of his range.

You have a back door straight draw. If 2c or 3c comes on the turn it is actually a great card for you.

You have 2 overs still and can easily rep a big pocket pair from your preflop, actions. I would even consider firing another barrel if the turn is a blank or an overcard to keep repping a hand such as AA or a strong ace.

So even if they are hanging on with a hand such as 1010 you are a 30% favorite to win the hand with this flop.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, at this limit unless you raise pretty big there's not much point of the play. If you were playing a few levels highest it'd work, like you said medium PPs would call, they wouldn't about 70 percent of the time, and even when you do it's not always going to come out low on the flop.
This is why i never play 0.02/0.04, poker game theory never really works, its kinda like playing with play money on stars.

U

Ubercroz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, at this limit unless you raise pretty big there's not much point of the play. If you were playing a few levels highest it'd work, like you said medium PPs would call, they wouldn't about 70 percent of the time, and even when you do it's not always going to come out low on the flop.
This is why i never play 0.02/0.04, poker game theory never really works, its kinda like playing with play money on stars.

Who cares if medium pocket pairs call our 3bet? That is a mistake they are making.

When they call with 77 and the flop is JT2 and they have 3rd pair to the board and you have two overs and a gutshot you can bet and they will still likely fold.

On the turn you have a ton of outs and they don't know where they are. They may call the turn, but if they do - then take a note because you will be able to value-bet the shit out of these people in later hands.

You can probably fire a second barrel on the turn and get a lot of folds there too. Cool down on the river. That is a fine line to take with AK, you use it as a semi-bluff. Its got a lot of equity, you are happy when they fold, and you don't mind when they call that much.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Errr you might wanna read up on what's a 3bet... It's not the same as a raise to 3BB. 3bet is a fancy word for a preflop reraise

Opps sorry,what i meant is 3bb not 3betting.Its just slip my mind.Thanks Rodney for reminding me.:eek: