Votes: 8 19.5%

• Total voters
W

Wlokos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd take option A for both. The first one, I'd rather guarantee one mil than go for three and risk getting nothing, and for the second, well, I'd really rather take a guaranteed 3 mil than go for 5, even if the risk is only to get 2 mil instead. Call me crazy, but with that much on the line, I'd just like to take the guarantee.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A1B2, using the money to buy strippers.

d'ohh

d'ohh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
road less traveled......

I'd do what nobody else did.......I like the sound of 3 million dollars.

1 is lonely
2 is not enough
3's a charm.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id take the money in every case.

odds are good for long term. If its gonna be a repeated scenario, then ill take the +EV option.

If its one time, id take the money.

Edit: i just read scenario 2. I could go either way on that 1. Probably flip though.

B

broncos53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Option A in 1 and B in 2....if you have 1 mill garunteed its not worht risking on a coin flip to get 3 mill or nada.... if you garunteed 3 mill but you can do a coin flip only lose 1 mill but gain 2 then go for it

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whoosh

Imagine a big box of chocolates. Compare the satisfaction you get from the first chocolate to the satisfaction you get from the 30th chocolate, and then try and plot a graph of 'satisfaction' for all the chocolates you eat in between (you fat bastard). You should get a downward-sloping curve - the gradient of which will level out close to (or at) zero after a certain point, depending on your tolerance for chocolates.

I thought I would put your theory to the test but have not yet been able to determine any signigicant downward trend in my satisfaction curve. Do you think I should go for another 30 to make the sample size more valid?

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Age and lifestyle has an impact, too. One million more is all I could ever spend, so I get the guarantee in one. In two, now it is a game with $ as the scorecard, take the flip.

cjroc

cjroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would take the 1 million dollars and then proceed to wake up because it was a dream.

I would def. take the coinflip in scenario 2