RING: Why do people NOT like short stackers?

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My fault. I should have asked "What is it technically about cash game short stackers that takes away a deep stacker's edge?". Though it IS interesting to see the passion that the subject of cash short stackers brings out in some people. Another thing I learned, I guess.

They reduce a DS players edge by reducing implied odds.

They are able to shove hands which may or may not have showdown value, but a DS player could never risk finding out because the hand wont stand up to 3 streets of betting.

They are all in by the flop removing all skill involved with turn and river play.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
belgo's point on buying into a tournament for 20% of the buy-in fee for 20% of the starting stack stands unanswered as well

Actually, one can do something close to that by entering a rebuy tournament but refusing to rebuy or add on.

That is (in my opinion) a bizarre and stupid thing to do. There are, however, many players (some of them CCers) who routinely do play that way and enjoy doing so. You will find them advocating it in threads right here. They are entitled to their opinion. I certainly would never dream of demanding that they must stop playing that way because I don`t like it.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
belgo's point on buying into a tournament for 20% of the buy-in fee for 20% of the starting stack stands unanswered as well
I was under the impression that I had responded to it when I said:
Everyone is free to do whatever the poker site they play on decides is acceptable.
Once the poker sites say it is OK to do it, feel free to do it. ;)

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was under the impression that I had responded to it when I said:Once the poker sites say it is OK to do it, feel free to do it. ;)

what about the disconnection protect tactic of unplugging your modem during a hand so you get all-in protection?

is that cool?

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, one can do something close to that by entering a rebuy tournament but refusing to rebuy or add on.

That is (in my opinion) a bizarre and stupid thing to do. There are, however, many players (some of them CCers) who routinely do play that way and enjoy doing so. You will find them advocating it in threads right here. They are entitled to their opinion. I certainly would never dream of demanding that they must stop playing that way because I don`t like it.
this is my point of view, yes nlhe ss tilt me but in the end it is their choice and as long as its legal they can do what that want and who makes us the judge of what should/ shouldnt be allowed

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is my point of view, yes nlhe ss tilt me but in the end it is their choice and as long as its legal they can do what that want and who makes us the judge of what should/ shouldnt be allowed

I agree they are doing nothing wrong.

However the sites should be catering more for the players... who want larger minimum buyins on more tables.

Certainly leave some tables as they are now, I'm sure there are some DS players who want to play against SS players... but the majority do not seem to want to, so the sites should accommodate us.

J

JulieK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing short-stacked gives deep-stack experience in two ways. First, you're at the table seeing how the deep stacks play. Second, you're trying to build your short stack into a deep stack, so you can play deep-stacked with somebody else's money.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't want to do it for an MTT with a very top heavy payout. I want to do it for a 9handed STT where ICM applies from the start and makes it very clear i get more than 20% the value by buying 20% of the starting chips.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't want to do it for an MTT with a very top heavy payout. I want to do it for a 9handed STT where ICM applies from the start and makes it very clear i get more than 20% the value by buying 20% of the starting chips.

I can`t see how this line of discussion moves us forward, m8. It`s back to my uncle and his chest. We are postulating weird fictitious scenarios which are never going to happen.

In fact, I don`t think we are moving forward at all any more. There are two opposing views here, pretty thoroughly explained on both sides, I think. We don`t seem able to agree, so let`s agree to differ and go do something else. :)

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then I want to have the same ability to try out tournaments. Let me buy into a $100 tournament for $20 and give me 20% of the starting stack.

Play a rebuy, don't add on.

(ahh.. I see the towstmaster beat me to it, and I felt so clever...)

Last edited:
eNTy

eNTy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WTF ?
or any films.

have u actually seen any belgian films ?
ive seen like 2
both were hollywood style thrillers

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this thread tilts me immensely and i don't even play ring games.

seriously how/why is there even a debate going on here?

Because it is extremely fascinating, outlines the state of poker, and people are passionate about it.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lucien L'Hotte, a dwarf becomes enamoured and begins an affair with the singer Paola Bendoni. Lucien excuses himself from her company and, in a dramatic scene, indulges in her luxurious bathtub and emerges and boldly pursues an affair with the singer, who is in the midst of divorce. After some time her problems with her husband subside and the two make amends, and Lucien is driven mad, proclaiming, "If you do not love me, I love you. And if I love you beware". Lucien then contrives her murder and frames her husband successfully, and disappears shortly after to live as a carnie. There he falls in platonic love with the director's pre-pubescent daughter which arouses the suspicion of paedophilic motivations by the director, who forbids his daughter to see or perform with L'Hotte.

On the verge of being ostracised from the carnival, L'Hotte creates a show of his own that becomes wildly popular—and in the process profitable to the director. L'Hotte then stages a homosexual relationship with his partner in his carnival act to settle suspicions of unwanted interest in the young girl.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Dwarf_(film)

Personally I prefer the British version of Red Dwarf :p

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
remember when 10nl on FT was unbeatable due to rake? did the players "buy an umbrella," or did they stand up in rage and have the issue resolved?

qtawesomeness

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have u actually seen any belgian films ?

Thread hijack in progress. This is the absolute must see Belgian movie:

manbitesdog.jpg

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are the waffles in it breakfast waffles or more the desert waffles?

Need to know.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for those of you saying: end this thread plz, i don't think we need to end it.

we're having a topical, interesting, civilized discussion

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of the more entertaining threads on here in weeks