Quick pot odds calculations

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys, hope u r all winning lots!!!

I know we have pot odds calculators but if you are sitting at a live table you can`t turn on your pc!!!

Is there a quick way of calculating your pot odds in your head.

Also, I might have worked out how, but this may already be well know and nothing new, and as I`m quite new to poker I`m not sure if knowing your pot odds before the flop is relavant. But here is the way I think you can work it out:-

Example 1 - U have 10s,Jh and the flop is 8d,9c,3s leaving u with an open ended straight. Forgetting about pairs, u have 8 outs to catch straight. I would work this out by saying 8x2+2=18% chance(if only river to come) but if we have river and turn left multiply by 2 again and minus 2. Therefore with two cards to come 8x2+2x2-2=34% chance. (about 2 to 1)

Example 2 - U have poket 10`s pre flop. The chances of catching another 10 = 2 outs. Therefore 2x2+2=6% chance (if only river to come) I would then work out chances this way 2x2+2x3-2=16%. (about 61/2 to 1)

I would be interested to know if the calculation works and what you guys think.

I`m new to poker, so if I`m "barking up the wrong tree" don`t hesitate to let me know.

Happy hunting guys!!!

Ronaldadio :D

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes thats relatively close......post flop with 2 cards to come is number of outs times 4....post turn is number of outs times 2.....its roughly the same

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... and the reason it works is that there are about 50 cards in a deck, so each card has about a 2% chance to show up (1/50 = 2%).

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator