Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forcing him to pay me off?

NL Texas holdem $50 10 seat tourney.
Blinds 50—100
7 left in the tourney
2 in the pot (me & player x) (Big blind – me / Button – player x)
Player x and I are evenly stacked and in the lead
I called a 100 raise pre-flop and 300 on flop
The turn gives me a straight flush J high
The pot is at 1050 We each have about 2500 left

Here is what I know about player x:

• Strong player, semi tight, plays mostly “by the book” (would think his take on me is semi lose)
  • Very pot odds oriented.
  • Has a strong hand. (I figure A high flush or a set.)

Aside from checking here, what is the correct bet to make here give him the right pot odds that he must call with a strong hand.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
um.. are you using both hole cards? if so your sf is hidden and you can try to overbet and draw him in.

tazztaz

tazztaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
joosebuck said:
um.. are you using both hole cards? if so your sf is hidden and you can try to overbet and draw him in.

Yes 9 J

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
overbet and act like youre trying to steal. he prolly thinks he has the nut hand.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well if hes got a flush or set, he'll call with all but the rest of his stack...i mean if hes got the highest possible flush (aside from your straight flush) he'll call with the rest of his stack
i think it depends on how strong his hand is

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how loose he thinks you are. Semi-loose is in the middle.

If he thinks you are a wild bluffer, you could put anything out there and he'd probably call. I'd try at least half the pot for value.

If he thinks you are a sound player but just a bit of a chaser, you'd probably have to stay with less than 1/3 of the pot to give him the correct odds to call.

It's all a moot point if he thinks he is sure he has the best hand. He'd call or raise any bet because he wouldn't need any odds.

tazztaz

tazztaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok lets assume he is on a nut draw, (and dosen't know he is drwing dead) my question is aside of check raiseing what bet will give the perfect odds to go to the river?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hes drawing?
well thats different i thought he had a made hand
so if he's on a flush draw, then the correct bet would be something less than 1/3 of the pot if he's playing strict to the odds (i think im right:giving him 4:1 odds, with flush draw on turn being 4.11:1)

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he's on a straight or a flush draw, your bet could be 300 and he would have to call that with the pot the size it is now. 350, even.

Probably even more, if he factors in implied odds.

If you're right about him having the nut flush, then it doesn't matter how much you bet, of course. He will happily call an all-in here or on the river.

If he has a set, you want his money in the pot now, before a fourth flush card hits the board, at which point he would be a whole lot less inclined to call if he doesn't have a high card of that suit himself.

If he's on a draw, 350 is about right to give him odds to continue, since that was your specific question, though.

tazztaz

tazztaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bet was 600, hoping to give him more than 2.5 and add some value for me, as well as making the pot big enough (2250 if he calls) if he hits the river all the chips go in.
He folds, turns over a pair of 8's for a set of 8's and said I priced him out.
I think I priced it right but maybe against him the next time I have the out'nout nuts I will do some thing diferent...but what I don't know?

Thanks all for the input! :hello:

neishe

neishe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I think a check would stink of a strong hand, on the other hand he's not quite pot committed yet having put only roughly 500 of 3000 chips in the pot, therefore if he hasn't hit a flush he can still get away from the hand so overbetting the pot will only get called if he has the flush, why take the risk of him throwing a lesser hand away? I think I would bet about half - three quarters the pot to try and make it seem like "feeler" bet with the presence of the possible flush. With any luck he at least call this, some players would even reraise if he did put the rereaise in you now have him pot committed. Call the reraise and push on the river!

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator