Pot odd's talk

legman2

legman2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*This article explains Pot odds and the Odds of your hand and how they relate. I'm doing this because alot of people always have questions and I thought I would make a good post so no one has to ask anymore
smile.gif
. I tried to make the explanations as simple as possible. Enjoy!*

Pot Odds
What are Pot Odds?

pot odds is the ratio of the pot size to the size of the bet.

To figure out Pot Odds it is very simple:
If the pot contains: $36
The Bet To Stay In Is: $6

36/6 which is simplified to: 6/1 or 6 to 1.

Ok so now what?

Odds of Your Hand
We compare the Pot Odds to the odds of your hand. To figure out the odds of your hand you do this.

You have two cards and there are three cards on the board.

52-5=47

47 not seen cards

Out of those 47 cards you have your outs and the cards that you don't need. So for example if you have 12 outs that leaves with 35 cards you don't need.

So that makes the ratio of cards you don't need to need is 35 to 12 or around 3 to 1. You would have to put 35/12 into its simplest form and its around 3/1 not exact. So that would make it 3 to 1. The pot would have to be at least 3 times the size of the bet.

You would not count the cards that the people folded because you don't know what they had. The two cards you hold and the cards that are out on the community board are the only seen cards that you know. That is unless someone shows their cards to you.

But again. If the Pot Odds are higher than the Odds Against Making Your Hand, you should call.

Comparing
Now how do I combined these Odds to help me?

If the Pot Odds are higher than the Odds Against Making Your Hand, you should call.

spore

spore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty fundamental stuff, but always good to bring up from time to time to benefit newer players and refresh the rest of us :)

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We have some Articles on Odds and Expected Value and Pot Odds and Implied Odds that are definitely worth taking a look at.

Also, be careful about your calculation and oversimplifying making your hand.

In your example, the flop is already out. So you still have two cards to come, so you are approx 45% to make you hand if you have 12 outs. This is about 1.2 to 1 against. So anything over 1.2 to 1 or better on your money and you make the call.

But thanks for posting, as this is always a fun topic. And Spore is right, it something to bring up from time to time.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator