Poker the Marginal Way AMA

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Resumed the live grind last night at the Vic, booked a 1.5k win at 5/10 PLO without really ever having nuts or anything, was just by picking really good spots I was able to just churn a little profit here and there.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
EZ game, I guess.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well easier that I won 6K last night from 2/5 to 5/10/25 :)

Ive adjusted my game really well to just being a nit, these guys are not capable of re-adjusting and stop paying off but I'm pretty much playing ABC and just throwing in a bluff once in a while to keep it true but at the moment, my bluffs are respected and my value bets are paid off. At the moment im being really tight but these guys especially the regs are always so hyper aggro and just dont adjust at all.

I havent had to get it in once, just grinding down pots. I played only one pot more than like 2k.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well easier that I won 6K last night from 2/5 to 5/10/25 :)

Ive adjusted my game really well to just being a nit, these guys are not capable of re-adjusting and stop paying off but I'm pretty much playing ABC and just throwing in a bluff once in a while to keep it true but at the moment, my bluffs are respected and my value bets are paid off. At the moment im being really tight but these guys especially the regs are always so hyper aggro and just dont adjust at all.

I havent had to get it in once, just grinding down pots. I played only one pot more than like 2k.

Get rid of your under-title, you poser.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL,

So i played for 18 hours today, now got back in from grinding all night (midday)

So I was playing 5/10 PLO and didnt have any big pots yet we got to 4 handed for like 5 hours and it was straddled and double straddled and I just won every pot and slowly grinded up a 10k profit making it 17.5k for the weekend.

I also need to get better at remembering spots but I seldom remember when i win pots. However I did lose a 6k pot early on to the most aggro reg in London. I called down with blockers to the nuts and he shows the nuts. I am fish.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can you elaborate on blockers hand? My impression was that they aren't that valuable in PLO (relative to Holdem) unless you block the possibility of someone having the nuts. Like Ax of three-suit on the board.

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he meant like he blocked like the relative nuts and the guy showed up with like quads or a boat or something i assume lol

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
blocker examples

TT99 3 or 4 suited ?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can you elaborate on blockers hand? My impression was that they aren't that valuable in PLO (relative to Holdem) unless you block the possibility of someone having the nuts. Like Ax of three-suit on the board.

Its like having TT on a J87 board or Ad on a 3 diamond board. The Ad is even more significant cause it means no one has the nuts but in any case or situation like that they have less combos of made hands.

Its a way bigger factor in PLO than it is in holdem. The majority of your bluff spots and hero calls only exist cause you block something.

In the hand I was referring to. I Had AA7x on a Q77xx board it was 3 handed on the flop, fish called flop and folded turn and the reg bet all 3 streets. In a case like this, its hard for him to have Q7 cause I have 7 and at same time I have to put fish who folded on a Q which reduces the QQ possibilities hence how I blocked the nuts a bit and I knew he had less combos. He did show up with QQ though so I am idiot but so be it.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
August is almost over and we are at like 30k profit for the month.

September is going to have a hard time to replicate this.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
decided to online poker, reg fun stuff

iPoker - €4 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha Hi - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: €451.00 (VPIP: 38.89, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 18)
MP: €737.10 (VPIP: 52.94, PFR: 47.06, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 34)
Hero (CO): €536.40
BTN: €613.82 (VPIP: 54.55, PFR: 27.27, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
SB: €163.18 (VPIP: 80.00, PFR: 80.00, 3Bet Preflop: 100.00, Hands: 5)
BB: €796.56 (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)

SB posts SB €2.00, BB posts BB €4.00

Pre Flop: (pot: €6.00) Hero has 9:club: 7:spade: 8:heart: 8:club:

fold, MP raises to €14.00, Hero calls €14.00, fold, fold, BB calls €10.00

Flop: (€44.00, 3 players) T:heart: J:club: 3:club:
BB checks, MP bets €32.00, Hero raises to €140.00, fold, MP calls €108.00

Turn: (€324.00, 2 players) 2:spade:
MP bets €324.00, Hero raises to €382.40, MP calls €58.40

River: (€1,088.80, 2 players) 6:spade:

MP shows 4:club: Q:diamond: A:club: 6:diamond: (One Pair, Sixes)
(Pre 54%, Flop 52%, Turn 40%)
Hero shows 9:club: 7:spade: 8:heart: 8:club: (One Pair, Eights)
(Pre 46%, Flop 48%, Turn 60%)
Hero wins €1,085.80

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great hand certainly made me chuckle, two fine bricks.
Looks like he was a slight fav on the flop.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea but I'd flip whole day here

High variance poker yo

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And u still work for a living?:confused:

Id like to explain this. So its something I have struggled with for years really. I would love to go pro and do this full time 5 days a week etc but while my heart wants it I have also weighted the pros and cons and really it makes no sense for me to go pro.

I have a great career with tremendous upward mobility making like twice the national average in the UK at this current state while also having the opportunity to get promotions etc. Its a really good position that a lot of people want but cant get. This obviously has long term benefits and will present a comfortable lifestyle etc.

I have always viewed poker as a short term thing, I am good now and I have done super for the last 5 years but in reality, no one lasts for ever in this industry making consistent profit at the highest levels for a lifetime. Everyone has a short life span and the game does pass you by. Its only natural. Of all the regulars who were on the live London scene 2 years ago, probably only 20% are still around right now.

Knowing that I have such a great job and that poker will not last for me for 40 years, it doesnt make sense from a long term perspective to go pro. I rather just stay semi-pro, play for 100 hours or 120 hours a month and make good money but not money i need to survive on. Steady income is a hell of thing, some of these other regs could go on a 40k downswing and be completely screwed but I can and not really have a worry. I have a life outside of the game.

Poker seems great, the freedom etc but ive seen enough to know its terrible for people and in the long run it becomes terrible for 99% even the winning regulars. Also having a job gives you a sense of responsibility and contribution to society which poker does not. The money is great though.

Last edited:
M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We had some triple flop omaha run. I never played it before so I dropped 2k being a complete melon.

Then a 5/10/25 omaha opened up and while I dropped 1k on first hand, I battled to end up winning 2.7k for the night before the game broke.

1 interesting spot.

we got to 4 handed, everyone is super deep so stack sizes dont matter.

I am in the straddle with QJT2ds. The button double straddles to 50.

Small blind calls and big blind raises to 225. I call and both other players call so we have 900 in the pot.

Flop comes QT8ssc. I have neither spades of clubs. It goes checked around.

Turn is the 2d. We have 3 pair and SB leads for 525. BB folds. I call and button folds.

River is 5d so flush misses. SB bets 825 and I go into the timebank.

I was reflecting on all the hands he has played so far and he hasnt played badly but he hasnt gone to showdown much. I do remember 1 hand where he bet for value on the river and bet 875. Usually in a game like this you just bet in hundreds and dont pick up like 25s to make it 425 etc etc. Additionally there was 1 hand a half an hour before where he made a bet of 625 on the river and got raised and folded. Based on the board he couldnt have had anything for value (seeing as it was a flush and straight board) and it appeared he was bluffing.

I used that bit to assume he had a bet sizing tell which I think is still pretty thin but I called.

He showed a missed flush draw and I win the pot :).

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id like to explain this. So its something I have struggled with for years really. I would love to go pro and do this full time 5 days a week etc but while my heart wants it I have also weighted the pros and cons and really it makes no sense for me to go pro.

I have a great career with tremendous upward mobility making like twice the national average in the UK at this current state while also having the opportunity to get promotions etc. Its a really good position that a lot of people want but cant get. This obviously has long term benefits and will present a comfortable lifestyle etc.

I have always viewed poker as a short term thing, I am good now and I have done super for the last 5 years but in reality, no one lasts for ever in this industry making consistent profit at the highest levels for a lifetime. Everyone has a short life span and the game does pass you by. Its only natural. Of all the regulars who were on the live London scene 2 years ago, probably only 20% are still around right now.

Knowing that I have such a great job and that poker will not last for me for 40 years, it doesnt make sense from a long term perspective to go pro. I rather just stay semi-pro, play for 100 hours or 120 hours a month and make good money but not money i need to survive on. Steady income is a hell of thing, some of these other regs could go on a 40k downswing and be completely screwed but I can and not really have a worry. I have a life outside of the game.

Poker seems great, the freedom etc but ive seen enough to know its terrible for people and in the long run it becomes terrible for 99% even the winning regulars. Also having a job gives you a sense of responsibility and contribution to society which poker does not. The money is great though.

Damn Marge, that's so sane I gotta wonder what alien species kidnapped the real you?:eek:

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

So much life +EV

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2/5 just opened according to the twitter! heading down now!

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played for like 10 hours this weekend had some really games but the game today was 2/5 and people were super short so even though it was fishy, it didnt make sense.

Still made some variance free cash in the amount of 1,300 this weekend. So all things considered not bad. Feels small though.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
45 minutes from where I li

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WCOOPs 700 PLO is tonight. Waiting to late reg.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the PLO didnt go well but, we have the 1k super tuesday WCOOP today.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wishing you some run good...
I take it the pokerfest thing didn't work out, haven't heard anything?
I loved the passage above about working and playing +1 to you buddy.
I couldn't do poker all the time it would be too all consuming and probably take away some of the fun of playing.