Poker the Marginal Way AMA

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be fair, he is one of the best in the game, I think he had a slight bit of a brain fart and didnt get the range quite right. Its really hard for him to beat my range, and this is the absolute lowest hand I have and hes behind it.

One time lapse more than anything else though, as I said, one of the better regs.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Already takes a lot of time playing because I am novato ene stos since I only play three years ago

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be fair, he is one of the best in the game, I think he had a slight bit of a brain fart and didnt get the range quite right. Its really hard for him to beat my range, and this is the absolute lowest hand I have and hes behind it.

One time lapse more than anything else though, as I said, one of the better regs.

Fair. Is him having blockers to your nut draw range a factor for him too? Plus the flop being rainbow

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea the blocker would have factored in, but I think against my range it's still not significant enough

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is already so far over my head and I love it.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since OMC asked, ill give you the biggest pot of the day, not very interesting though :)

Microgaming - €20 PL Hi (6 max) - Omaha Hi - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 108.85 BB
SB: 118.08 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 6)
BB: 65.73 BB (VPIP: 45.45, PFR: 36.36, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 11)
CO: 111.35 BB (VPIP: 35.71, PFR: 28.57, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 15)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: 9:club: A:spade: Q:heart:

fold, Hero raises to 3.5 BB, SB raises to 11.5 BB, fold, Hero raises to 35.5 BB, SB calls 24 BB

Flop: (72 BB, 2 players) K:club: 8:heart: T:club:
SB bets 72 BB, Hero raises to 73.35 BB and is all-in, SB calls 1.35 BB

Turn: (218.7 BB, 2 players) A:diamond:

River: (218.7 BB, 2 players) 3:heart:

Hero shows A:heart: 9:club: A:spade: Q:heart: (Three of a Kind, Aces)
(Pre 69%, Flop 44%, Turn 75%)
SB shows J:heart: 2:heart: 8:club: A:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Eights)
(Pre 31%, Flop 56%, Turn 25%)
Hero wins 218.55 BB

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On a related noted, on Microgamming people quite these higher stakes games so ****ing often. Can barely get a game more than 20 hands before people ****ing quit.

Nobody battles anymore

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe not that interesting, but looks fun all the same :)

All just bumhunters?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ironically because of the alias changes allowed on the site, not much bumhunting, they are more suspicious.

Played a whopping 660 hands today, posted a nice 2k profit. lost money at various points out of loss of concentration which is to be expected i guess.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To return to the AMA theme, what would be the very first thing you'd tell someone trying to learn how to play PLO?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good question.

For me it comes down to 2 things

1) Dont be afraid to get it in bad. I think in PLO its probably best to always be on the slightly looser side than it is to be on the tight side. When you are now starting out, i think getting it in a lot and recognising what others get it in with is also a good bit of knowledge to have. Get it in, see where you stand and dont worry if from time to time you get it in a massive dog.

2) Play tricky spots, so you see in a lot of instances, when now starting out, we tend to overplay position and underplay OOP. getting accustom to playing OOP and defending BB in a lot of situations opens you up to seeing many unique situations and will help you get better in terms of reading hand strength and knowing what board textures are good to play back on etc. You only get this knowledge by playing tricky spots. Additionally I say try to do it from the BB cause you learn a lot more OOP and its something that translates to in position play which doesnt necessarily work the other way around. Plus being BB, you have money invested so, its never that unprofitable in PLO to peal.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll be in Vegas at the end of the month if you're around HMU.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How far away is your live game?

About 45 minutes away. I pretty much just check their twitter account see whats going on and head down. sometimes i go early and wait but no real reason to do that.

But you also have an idea of whats gonna run when, like tonight I dont expect there to be any action, for example.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you dabbled at all in NLO8? It would seem that there would be very little adjustment from PLO other than starting hand selection.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you dabbled at all in NLO8? It would seem that there would be very little adjustment from PLO other than starting hand selection.

There are actually, more adjustments from PLO to NLO8 than there are from holdem to NL.

NL08 is a very complicated game where equities run even closer. Ill post my thoughts on it a little later, playing some 10/20 at the moment but lets just say its completely different for now :)

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10/20 (euro) graph for the day in GBP. Not many games ran so far but there should be later. only 1 table ran, 2 - 3 handed for the whole session

Attachments

• 1020 graph today.jpg
    1020 graph today.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 112
R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When ru going to write an awesome PLO guide for the CC plebs to crush online PLO:eek:

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A guide wouldnt do justice to the complexities of the game. Its one of things where I think people understand the basics but you need to be playing pots and being in situations to really grasp the intricacies of the game.

I dont think its something you can necessarily get through in a write up. Trust me I've tried. THere are some things ive written,early on though,if you could find it. I mean it should be findable by threads started by me.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also on that point, im always happy to run through hands and situations with people as i find that a lot more useful for people to learn the game

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this is something that (especially at the stakes you play) is going to be more situational/opponent based, but what sort of hands are at the bottom of your pre flop raising range, particularly from late position?

I kind of feel like I know what a very good or very bad PLO hand looks like, but I think I struggle a bit with knowing what a solid, playable midrange hand looks like when raising from the CO for example

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know this is something that (especially at the stakes you play) is going to be more situational/opponent based, but what sort of hands are at the bottom of your pre flop raising range, particularly from late position?

I kind of feel like I know what a very good or very bad PLO hand looks like, but I think I struggle a bit with knowing what a solid, playable midrange hand looks like when raising from the CO for example

ummmm, I might be playing like 80% of hands from the button in unopened pots and like 50% from the CO. It really gets random at that point,you'll see some KQ43 1suits, and some JT75 and things like that. Let me put it this way, its a lot of hands.

its pretty much anything thats not badugi uncoordinated hands, trips, 2295 type hands and the like.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then I'm being way too nitty, cheers