Sweetness, way to go peeleo

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowing that this hand was the difference between me bringing myself back to even/in profit, after the week i've had, has really shown me that results don't matter and maybe I was getting a bit hung up about running bad, in the end the +ev plays will make you $$......simples!

Exactly - keep at it, you're doing great :)

xdeucesx

xdeucesx

Bar Master
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey peel, gl w/the challenge man

and thanks for serving our country...much appreciated

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I play my regular 1k hand session tonight, ended up down like $8 but werent too bothered, took a break and decided i'd play another half hour and then go bed........ the result, down 3BI's in 150 hands before I tilt shut FT down with all my tables still open. I have my first winning session yesterday and get a nice 2.5Bi's , today I lose 4.

The first one was actually the last hand I played and I know i'm beat there on the turn, first time i've tilted through this whole thing but I think this has broke me, I was so happy when I got this stake but so far **** alls gone right for me and logging on to get ****ed over for 1k hands a day is starting to piss me off.

Full Tilt - $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em (9 players)
Full Tilt Hand Converter Tool from CardsChat.com

SB: $12.83
BB: $13.26
UTG: $9.85
MP: $10
MP+1 Hero: $10
MP+2: $10.35
LP: $10
CO: $10.06
BTN: $7.02

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP+1 and dealt :ad4: :ah4:
2 folds, Hero raises $0.40, MP+2 calls $0.40, 4 folds, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.25) :3c4: :jd4: :qh4: (3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $1, MP+2 calls $1, BB folds

Turn: ($3.25) :3c4: :jd4: :qh4: :4d4: (2 players)
Hero bets $2.50, MP+2 raises $5, Hero raises $6.10 (All-in), MP+2 calls $3.60

River: ($20.45) :3c4: :jd4: :qh4: :4d4: :3d4: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.45

Showdown:
Hero shows :ad4: :ah4:
MP+2 shows :jc4: :jh4:
Outcome: MP+2 wins $19.09

SB Hero: $10
BB: $10.03
UTG: $10.63
MP: $18.32
MP+1: $10.94
MP+2: $9.65
LP: $10.49
CO: $10
BTN: $10.25

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB and dealt :ah4: :ad4:
3 folds, MP+2 calls $0.10, 2 folds, BTN raises $0.50, Hero raises $1.95, 2 folds, BTN raises $5.70, Hero raises $8 (All-in), BTN calls $3.80

Flop: ($20.20) :ks4: :3c4: :9h4: (2 players)

Turn: ($20.20) :ks4: :3c4: :9h4: :9s4: (2 players)

River: ($20.20) :ks4: :3c4: :9h4: :9s4: :3h4: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.20

Showdown:
Hero shows :ah4: :ad4:
BTN shows :kh4: :kd4:
Outcome: BTN wins $18.86

SB Hero: $10
BB: $10.98
UTG: $11.08
MP: $9.19
MP+1: $2.63
MP+2: $10
LP: $11.27
CO: $8.50
BTN: $10.29

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB and dealt :9h4: :9s4:
UTG raises $0.40, 6 folds, Hero calls $0.35, BB folds

Flop: ($0.90) :7s4: :qc4: :9c4: (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.60, Hero raises $1.80, UTG raises $3.70, Hero raises $7.80 (All-in), UTG calls $5.30

Turn: ($20.10) :7s4: :qc4: :9c4: :js4: (2 players)

River: ($20.10) :7s4: :qc4: :9c4: :js4: :5d4: (2 players)

Final Pot: $20.10

Showdown:
Hero shows :9h4: :9s4:
UTG shows :qd4: :qh4:
Outcome: UTG wins $18.76

The 99<QQ was literally the 2nd hand of the session and I should've just quit then, def should have quit after the AA<KK but just as I was shutting them down I see AA on another table and thats when I got beat by the very ****in obvious set of JJ. I know its not my money but it still doesnt stop me feeling like a ****in failure.

6.5BI's -ev in my first 6k hands of being staked.......

H

HomeBrewer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trust me I know the feeling, and I still don't know how to handle that feeling. I hope some more experienced guys chime in on how to handle the mental game, but know you have a lot of support here. We are all rooting for you. Just wanted to voice my support, sorry I don't have more advice.

I read this earlier in the thread that you were in service, and I would also like to express my deepest appreciation for that as well. Stay safe.

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just went through another round of this type of torture where I lost hands where I was an 80,84.86,94 percent favorite and kept losing. It is hell, no other way around it.

Now this is just a suggestion and you could just laugh but when I runbad I get all nitty. Being a nit means you don't have to make many decisions and you fold so much you mainly just calm down.

Just read the Tao Te Ching.

one of the tenets of the Tao is Wu Wei:

What Is Wu Wei?
One of Taoism’s most important concepts is wu wei, which is sometimes translated as “non-doing” or “non-action.” A better way to think of it, however, is as a paradoxical “Action of non-action.” Wu wei refers to the cultivation of a state of being in which our actions are quite effortlessly in alignment with the ebb and flow of the elemental cycles of the natural world. It is a kind of “going with the flow” that is characterized by great ease and awake-ness, in which - without even trying - we’re able to respond perfectly to whatever situations arise.

http://taoism.about.com/od/wuwei/a/wuwei.htm

This may all be humbug to you but I find peace in this.

Here is a free online edition of the Tao: http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/core9/phalsall/texts/taote-v3.html

peace

fx

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope it gets better mate, i know the worst feeling for me in poker is that of being a failure and not beating the level, but thats not true i know you have what it takes to beat 10NL.

If you want to go through some hands or anything then ill stay up a bit tonight or some other time

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Again FS, you are playing great, doing nothing wrong. Seriously I realise that its tough but try not to concentrate on results so much, I know run bad at the start of a stake is a pain in the ass, but trust me it will turn.

If you need a few days off, or feel that youll burnout trying to hit 25K hands per month, trust me the backers will not want to see you playing on tilt for the sake of playing :)

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would much rather see you get your head together and take a little time off than tilt... nothing worse than tilting.

benevg

benevg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the EV stat is really there just to tilt us, i say. if you win, you come out a luckbox, and if you lose, you are running bad. just ignore it and think about how you have made the right decisions... most of the time at least.

good luck with overcoming the tilt! it is friday, after all, roll boost! :D

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

Thanks for the msg's of support!

So I took a few days off, I feel like last week kinda burned me out a bit, was grinding way more than usual as I had to drop the amount of tables I'd been playing down to 6, which in turn upped the amount of hrs I had to put in to hit 25k hands per month. When this was originally put to me I was playing 10 tables, so like 700 hands per hour, which makes 1k hands p/day no problem, drop that down to 5/6 tables and i have to double the grind!

But it is now a fresh month, so a fresh start and a fresh graph to get my EV worries out of my head!

I'm gonna try not to look at EV or graphs at all infact, hopefully this sorts out my mental issues!

So first session of the new month tonight, gonna just do my pre-stake 2x1hr sessions and see how many hands I hit, and then get in touch with Jay/Tenbob about the hands per month issue and see how flexible it is.

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

Thanks for the msg's of support!

So I took a few days off, I feel like last week kinda burned me out a bit, was grinding way more than usual as I had to drop the amount of tables I'd been playing down to 6, which in turn upped the amount of hrs I had to put in to hit 25k hands per month. When this was originally put to me I was playing 10 tables, so like 700 hands per hour, which makes 1k hands p/day no problem, drop that down to 5/6 tables and i have to double the grind!

But it is now a fresh month, so a fresh start and a fresh graph to get my EV worries out of my head!

I'm gonna try not to look at EV or graphs at all infact, hopefully this sorts out my mental issues!

So first session of the new month tonight, gonna just do my pre-stake 2x1hr sessions and see how many hands I hit, and then get in touch with Jay/Tenbob about the hands per month issue and see how flexible it is.

Since I stopped looking at my results during a session, ignored the AIEV line and stopped obsessing about winrate in BB/100 I feel much, much better. I now feel much more focused and play smarter. I might get flamed for this but, IMO being a winning player has as much to do with not losing as it does winning. When I play really well I usualy don't have a losing hand for more than 10-11bb because I can lay down a hand when I think it is pretty likely that I'm beat. One way I have accomplished that is by not getting my stack all-in preflop vs fully stacked opponents except w/ AA & KK. There are exceptions of course and against Maniacs and short stacks I likely get QQ in there but otherwise I can 3bet QQ/JJ/ TT and lay down to a 4bet. Again, I may get flamed but at 5nl what is the most likely 4bet range? I'm pretty sure it's QQ+/AK. Again I am at work so now stove or pokerprotools but what is QQ's equity against that range? If I remember correctly QQ has 47% equity against JJ+/AK so without the 6 JJ combos I am guestmating QQ has ~ 36% equity against that range. Do I want to get my stack in at essentially 1:1 when I have 36% equity????

The other thing I have done is mix up my play on dry boards with TPTK and some overpairs . I.e. I have AK, flop comes down A96 rainbow. If I am OOP and I am not against a total fish I will check/call here about 50% of the time and then lead out on the turn. Again, if I have QQ and the board comes down J72r I will sometimes do the same. This makes it harder for a villain to know if my c-bet is a value bet or just an attempt to collect dead money in the pot. It also helps control the size of the pot when I am OOP and either way ahead or way behind when villain flopped a set or 2 pair.

Another thing. On scary straight boards I used to bet big with a single pair, i.e I have AK, flop comes down KQT. By bloating the pot you are paying off villains who have already flopped a straight and you aren't getting a fold from anyone with a combo pair/ draw here so I am likely to make a smaller bet, say 1/3 to 1/2 pot and if I get re-raised I can muck and if I get called then I can re-evaluate on the turn. Say the turn is a 6. If I check and villain checks it is obvious they are drawing to the same hand and if the river is a blank i can make a 1/3 pot bet. In fact if I have AK and the flop is QT7 and the betting lines are the same I'll bet on the River even when I miss, after all villain is as likely to have AK/AJ as anything else.

I think one of the biggest benefits of appearing weak-tight is getting villains to do a lot of re-raising or betting when they are dead. When aggro types think they can push you off a pot because they think you won't go broke with a single pair they will often blast away so when I have a set, they are doing my betting for me until the river. When you take 50-10bb off a villain's hands that makes up for a lot of folds after putting 8-12bb in the pot and then if you add in the 96-88bb you don't lose by laying down in potentially dangerous situations the chips add up.

Finally,at least for the time being I have really stopped calling raises with anything but pairs. I found it to be a huge leak. I plan to re-evaluate my results specifically when I call a standard raise with AQ AJs KQs in the CO or OTB but in general I feel that the amount of chips you can bleed chasing when you have TP3K+ backdoor/ gutshot type scenarios can add up substantially when you end up folding on the River to a large bet. Also against villains with TAGgish or nitty stats I play 88-22 really just for set value and check/fold when I miss. If it is against a weak/loose opp opponent I will often test a c-bet by re-raising or floating or just calling down with 77+ but that's it. It is that desire to see one more card or intend to float against villains with a strong range that end up being costly, not that you can't occasionally push them off but the times you end up building a pot to fold outweigh that IMO.

I know I am the resident Nit on Cc so anyone (ok WV aka Thor) may blast away, I'm just sharing some stuff that is working for me.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good to see you back for another try, how do you fancy at the end of each week in this month me and you go through so many of our hands or something productive? lets hope march is a good one

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good to see you back for another try, how do you fancy at the end of each week in this month me and you go through so many of our hands or something productive? lets hope march is a good one

Yeah definetly, we'll work something out as your away from poker PC at weekends right?

Maybe on a thursday night or even a monday before the new week starts, try and get some things to work on??

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah definetly, we'll work something out as your away from poker PC at weekends right?

Maybe on a thursday night or even a monday before the new week starts, try and get some things to work on??

Oh no i can play and stuff whenever, just the other weekend i went home for the weekend and didnt bring my laptop, but yep anytime and it sounds good, will look for some stuff we could think about nothing too complex i think the most beneficial thing for us is to go over hands and see where we're ****ing up, also i think if we do this once a week then for the week i will try to play good poker and not do as much embarrassing fancy plays with stupid cards if i know someones going to look over them :)

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I played some 6max last night, played 5 tables and pretty much broke even. Was fun, if I'm going to keep playing a few sessions of 6max I need to tighten up a bit though! Ended up running about 25/21 i think, paid off one guy with TPTK when I def could have found a fold, was right at the start of the session though and by the end I had a note on him that said "Plays hands vv.faceup" so I won't make the same mistake again!

In other news, i'm pretty f'kd off with HEM as I can't run it at work because of the way it connects to the authentication server, it isnt to do with proxy settings as I originally thought, but to do with the works firewall blocking communications on the port that HEM uses, have put a thread up about it on the HEM forums and got 1 stock response which asks me if I have done something....... which I stated in my OP that I had done. I have a paid for copy of HEM (Omaha and HE versions) which I can't use where I want to use it, and support are offering no solutions whatsoever. I'm going to email PT support and ask if they have ways around their authentication server, if they have I'll be asking for a refund on HEM and going back to PT3 I think, although I can't see HEM giving me a refund :( Just utterly shite customer support IMO

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Couldn't you just change the port that postgres is connecting at? Also, how do you have your set-up running? Do you have it only running at work, and you're just downloading your HH's there? Or are you importing them at home and then connecting to your home DB from work? I might have a solution for you.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couldn't you just change the port that postgres is connecting at? Also, how do you have your set-up running? Do you have it only running at work, and you're just downloading your HH's there? Or are you importing them at home and then connecting to your home DB from work? I might have a solution for you.

Its not a problem with postgres afaik, the trial was all up and running, importing hands fine...which is all I need as it is just for session review. Its the authentication once the trials up that has thrown a spanner in the works, I have a key and I have tried to enter it, but whatever port HEM communicates with its authentication server over must be blocked by my works firewall as I get the error "Could not connect to remote server"

Sucks b/c i'm probs gonna have to search for an illegal method to use HEM at work... but then I guess its not illegal if I have a key lol

PT3 also has issues connecting to the server too, although from a quick google it looks like they may be able to give you a file which authenticates locally if you are having dramas doing it over the server.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol, my problems appear to be over, god bless you piracy (even though I have a paid for key ffs)

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cancel my last, problem has not gone away :(

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have HEM running at home as well?

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I have it running at home fine.

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just sent you a PM peeleo, I've got a solution

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just sent you a PM peeleo, I've got a solution

Thanks for that, gonna give it a try tomorrow I think, works firewall may still block the outgoing connection though so i'm not counting my chickens yet!

Was doing quite well tonight until nearing the end of the session then just seemed to lose everytime and hit nowt! typical for my stake so far I guess, not really bothering me so much now though, i'm not hitting 1k hands per day though, so not sure if thats gonna be an issue.... still hitting 700ish hands p/day.

This hand set me back a bit, I don't know if i could check back the turn here, but i guess some daft fd's call a flop bet, plus 99/JJ, meh not really sure how much value i'm getting with a bet on the turn. But i guess SPR is low enough on the flop vs a 70bb stack to be committing and going for broke.

SB: $19.95
BB: $10
UTG: $7.64
UTG+1: $4
MP: $10
MP+1: $8.73
MP+2: $12.40
CO Hero: $10
BTN: $7 (sitting out) - Sitting Out

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO and dealt :qh4: :qc4:
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 raises to $0.30, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.90, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.80, UTG+1 calls $0.60

Flop: ($2.85) :2d4: :10d4: :10h4: (4 players)
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $2.30, UTG calls $2.30, UTG+1 folds

Turn: ($7.45) :2d4: :10d4: :10h4: :4c4: (3 players)
UTG checks, Hero bets $4.44, UTG calls $4.44 (All-in)

River: ($16.33) :2d4: :10d4: :10h4: :4c4: :4d4: (3 players)

Final Pot: $16.33

Showdown:
Hero shows :qh4: :qc4:
UTG shows :10c4: :kh4:
Outcome: UTG wins $15.25

Next ones against an 86/33, not even sure if I should be cbetting here given how much the pot has swelled, i mean its fine getting it in vs the shorter stack, its just the bigger stack on the button, maybe I should have bet smaller on the flop, but then I still cant get away from a raise from the shorty hmmmm

SB Hero: $13.89
BB: $6.37
UTG: $10 (sitting out) - Sitting Out
UTG+1: $4.34
MP: $12.60
MP+1: $10.89
MP+2: $29.10
CO: $10 (sitting out) - Sitting Out
BTN: $16.04

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is SB and dealt :as4: :ks4:
3 folds, MP+2 raises to $0.35, BTN calls $0.35, Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1.40, MP+2 folds, BTN calls $1.15

Flop: ($4.85) :2c4: :4d4: :8s4: (5 players)
Hero bets $2.80, BB raises to $4.87 (All-in), BTN folds, Hero calls $2.07

Turn: ($14.59) :2c4: :4d4: :8s4: :7d4: (4 players)

River: ($14.59) :2c4: :4d4: :8s4: :7d4: :6d4: (4 players)

Final Pot: $14.59

Showdown:
BB shows :8h4: :9h4:
Hero shows :as4: :ks4:
Outcome: BB wins $13.62

F**ked the next one up for sure, should have got it in on the flop or turn, guy was like 29/24 off the top of my head, cant see what I beat when 3 barrells so I couldnt do much but fold, which made me realise that i'd cocked up somewhere, I think the flop, should have bumped it to 3-3.50 and tried to get it in either there or on the turn with a bigger pot. FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKK lol

SB: $2.90
BB: $10
UTG: $3.35
UTG+1: $10.15
MP: $10.62
MP+1 Hero: $10
MP+2: $10
CO: $11.86
BTN: $10.61

Pre-flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP+1 and dealt :as4: :js4:
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.10, MP raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, MP+2 folds, CO calls $0.50, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.40

Flop: ($2.15) :qs4: :10s4: :ad4: (4 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP bets $1, Hero calls $1, UTG+1 folds

Turn: ($4.15) :qs4: :10s4: :ad4: :6d4: (2 players)
MP bets $2.80, Hero calls $2.80

River: ($9.75) :qs4: :10s4: :ad4: :6d4: :10h4: (2 players)
MP bets $6.32 (All-in), Hero folds, MP returned $6.32

Final Pot: $9.75

Showdown:
BTN mucks his hand
Outcome: MP wins $9.10

So still sucking for me at 10nl but i'm over feeling bad about it, and I could have saved myself half a BI on the hand above so it aint all runbad!

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Top pair, nut flush draw and gutshot straight draw. Flop shove fo sho

Real Money Poker - Real Money Casinos