Omaha or NL Hold'em

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Neither game is 'easy', not if you want to play well that is. But PLO is a lot softer.

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha sucks balls. You get 4 cards or 2 hands to play with and can only use 3 cards out of 5 on the flop,river turn etc.. To make the best hand with your decided hand out of 4 cards is pretty easy the problem is it's a 52 card deck do the math 9 handed is 36 cards gone plus 3 burns leaving only 13 cards left in the deck. Hands like kk-56 off play well,but with so many people in the pot those remaining 13 cards are just less random and quite dull.

U

UrsinusMaximus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really struggle with Omaha, since so often I have a strong hand that isn't the nuts and can't get away and I get stacked, like with a small full house.
In hold'em this can still happen but is so much rarer and can be shrugged off as a bad cooler.

Jester36rus

Jester36rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Badugi is the best! )))

As for this choice, i like omaha, but usually play holdem. Holdem has such a great popularity so the same tourney format is hard to find for omaha. There is really not enough omaha's tourneys.

S

Sacredoro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Omaha is easier, because it's more math, especially full ring. Everyone has every combination of everything and your draws are very often better hands than your made hands. You don't have to play slick or worry about raising people out of the pot on an ill timed bluff. It is a complex game and it's terribly fun to crush.

C

Click400

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey have similarity, but I've never felt comfortable playing Omaha.

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing about omaha is you need four cards working together, and high card strength is important also. And if you get aces repot the bastards.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Omaha sucks balls. You get 4 cards or 2 hands to play with and can only use 3 cards out of 5 on the flop,river turn etc.. To make the best hand with your decided hand out of 4 cards is pretty easy the problem is it's a 52 card deck do the math 9 handed is 36 cards gone plus 3 burns leaving only 13 cards left in the deck. Hands like kk-56 off play well,but with so many people in the pot those remaining 13 cards are just less random and quite dull.

You get 4 cards or 6 hands to play with!

A<font color='red'>♥</font> K<font color='black'>♠</font> T<font color='black'>♠</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font> is the following hands
  1. A<font color='red'>♥</font> K<font color='black'>♠</font>
  2. A<font color='red'>♥</font> T<font color='black'>♠</font>
  3. A<font color='red'>♥</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font>
  4. K<font color='black'>♠</font> T<font color='black'>♠</font>
  5. K<font color='black'>♠</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font>
  6. T<font color='black'>♠</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font>

Burn cards don't change the odds. So, with 9 players, there are 16 cards left that could come out. But, since you don't know all the cards your opponents hold, this doesn't really matter either. You know 4 cards. You can make reasonable assumptions about the types of cards your opponents hold and their ranges (which may change what you believe your drawing odds are). The odds aren't really different. You need to be a bit more aware that not all hearts are outs (if you have the heart draw) because pairing the board could mean you're dead. You have to be aware of the current nuts and what cards will change the nuts on the next card, and what the nuts will be on those cards.

KK56 off? Like rainbow? That's not a good hand! On an aggressive table where I can expect a raise and probably a 3-bet, it's a fold in early position. It is a little bit playable the later around we go. I'd open it on the button, probably in the CO also. I might call a single raise or limp behind on the button with it, as well. It's not a hand I would invest a lot of chips with pre-flop.

Omaha is certainly not a dull game.

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Propokertools ranks KK56 rainbow as a 9th percentile hand for 6 max play and a 10th percentile hand in full ring play.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Propokertools ranks KK56 rainbow as a 9th percentile hand for 6 max play and a 10th percentile hand in full ring play.

propokertools also uses hot and cold equity for their rankings and doesn't factor in post-flop play or playability. KK65r might do fine if you're able to get all-in pre-flop against the entire set of "good" hands (not just AA** hands). It is going to do horribly if you're opening it UTG at a loose/aggressive table with 100xbb+ stacks. Unless you flop a straight or top set/boat on a good board, you're going to find it hard to stick around to see the showdown when other players show strong interest.

It's not a "good" hand. It's a playable hand. It's a stealing hand. It has potential with the right flop, especially if you're able to leverage position and skill to maximize your profits with ahead and minimize your losses when behind.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Actually their methodology for hand ranking is a little more refined than that, you can read about it here :

http://pokercoder.blogspot.ca/2006/07/towards-meaningful-ordering-of-hands.html

Don't assume I am ignorant. I've read that. Here's a relevant quote from it.

Limitations of this Approach

As with any approach based on all hands going to river, caution must be used when interpreting the results.

Now, their methodology involves all "good" hands calling all-in pre-flop, and the "bad" hands holding. So, it's better than playing each hand against a table of random hands. Actually, I reference that exact point in my above response. It's where I said:

KK65r might do fine if you're able to get all-in pre-flop against the entire set of "good" hands

The point stands. KK65r is not a good hand. It's not that you can't play it. It's not that I haven't played it, or wouldn't.

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You get 4 cards or 6 hands to play with!

A<font color='red'>♥</font> K<font color='black'>♠</font> T<font color='black'>♠</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font> is the following hands
  1. A<font color='red'>♥</font> K<font color='black'>♠</font>
  2. A<font color='red'>♥</font> T<font color='black'>♠</font>
  3. A<font color='red'>♥</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font>
  4. K<font color='black'>♠</font> T<font color='black'>♠</font>
  5. K<font color='black'>♠</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font>
  6. T<font color='black'>♠</font> 9<font color='red'>♥</font>

Burn cards don't change the odds. So, with 9 players, there are 16 cards left that could come out. But, since you don't know all the cards your opponents hold, this doesn't really matter either. You know 4 cards. You can make reasonable assumptions about the types of cards your opponents hold and their ranges (which may change what you believe your drawing odds are). The odds aren't really different. You need to be a bit more aware that not all hearts are outs (if you have the heart draw) because pairing the board could mean you're dead. You have to be aware of the current nuts and what cards will change the nuts on the next card, and what the nuts will be on those cards.

KK56 off? Like rainbow? That's not a good hand! On an aggressive table where I can expect a raise and probably a 3-bet, it's a fold in early position. It is a little bit playable the later around we go. I'd open it on the button, probably in the CO also. I might call a single raise or limp behind on the button with it, as well. It's not a hand I would invest a lot of chips with pre-flop.

Omaha is certainly not a dull game.

No you get 4 cards and 2 hands to play with 56-78 is the 56-78 or 86-85-67 etc.. Sure the variations and there but it's always a choice of 4 cards to make one 2 card hand as a choice so in essence your really playing 2 hands most of the time like aa-and 9-10 suited. 9x4 =36 bud +3 as the burns that's 39+13 is 52 so there is always in a full ring game 13 cards left in the deck to make variations to the flop. 3 will always be gone they are burns so they are nil and void and yes you can make weird hands with your variations of choice,but in reality the remaining cards your looking for or need are probably in someone else's hand 85% of the time so it's like drawing very thin on what looks like a nut flush draw on an unpaired board with maybe 1 out instead of your standard 6-9 for flush in holdem. This is why it seems like a boring game to me almost always the cards you need are gone and you can only use 3 out of 5 on the flop this makes it weirder,or in a way easier just play kk-23 and flop a set on k-j-4-6-9 and your gold as the outs for drawers just don't exist much right? I can see the weird hand variations,but without a flop you can't play poker and that flop consist of 13 random cards vs holdems 31 live card variations to me this makes holdem more complex.

iriska

iriska

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Omaha for me is not very easy game. You always have to keep in mind that 2 cards that you see should be discarded.

A

armher

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is very easy game. Players just need to remember that they will use two card from the hand and three card from the table.

A

armher

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Different between omaha and holdem is that omaha is giving more variants to win.

ritmos

ritmos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not love to play Omaha. I consider that this type of poker is not predictable and very often a good combination of pocket cards is zilch.
But I love to play Omaha hi/low. It is the best game for me.
Also I like to play Badugi.

ritmos

ritmos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Different between omaha and holdem is that omaha is giving more variants to win.
Different between omaha and holdem is that omaha is giving more variants to win and to LOSE!

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Technically PLO is a hold'em variant. You've got your texas hold'em and you've got your omaha hold'em.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I like to play Omaha,because it s more predictable than Hold em

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
No you get 4 cards and 2 hands to play with 56-78 is the 56-78 or 86-85-67 etc.. Sure the variations and there but it's always a choice of 4 cards to make one 2 card hand as a choice so in essence your really playing 2 hands most of the time like aa-and 9-10 suited. 9x4 =36 bud +3 as the burns that's 39+13 is 52 so there is always in a full ring game 13 cards left in the deck to make variations to the flop. 3 will always be gone they are burns so they are nil and void and yes you can make weird hands with your variations of choice,but in reality the remaining cards your looking for or need are probably in someone else's hand 85% of the time so it's like drawing very thin on what looks like a nut flush draw on an unpaired board with maybe 1 out instead of your standard 6-9 for flush in holdem. This is why it seems like a boring game to me almost always the cards you need are gone and you can only use 3 out of 5 on the flop this makes it weirder,or in a way easier just play kk-23 and flop a set on k-j-4-6-9 and your gold as the outs for drawers just don't exist much right? I can see the weird hand variations,but without a flop you can't play poker and that flop consist of 13 random cards vs holdems 31 live card variations to me this makes holdem more complex.

:confused:

Are you suggesting that the odds of flopping a set are different depending on how many people are dealt into the hand or that the odds of completing a draw are different at a 6-max table compared to a 10 handed or even a 20 handed hold'em table?

Unknown cards do not change the probabilities. Burn cards don't change the odds. You could burn two cards before each street or burn none and the distribution of boards would be the same. You can deal 2 people into an Omaha hand or 10 people into an Omaha hand, and the distribution of the board cards will be the same.

As for the "you can only use two cards so you only have two hands" argument, that's just silly. Two cards = one hand. You can create six combinations of two card hands from the four cards, so you are playing six hands.

It's ok to not like omaha. To each their own. But, you really need to brush up on your poker math. I don't even hate the argument that you're likely drawing thinner than you think, if lots of people call a bet on the flop to see the turn, because the rest of your outs are likely in their hands. That's a valid thought process to work through during a hand. But, trying to claim that the burn cards change things is just wrong.

Matanzima

Matanzima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing courchevel and omaha but the variance in these games is very great.

It is safest to play holdem.

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha would be interesting to try out.
But I want to focus on my holdem game for now. :)