nl 3 betting preflop.

Lopos

Lopos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What would you guys say is a good 3 bet for nl games? 3x the original raise? more? less?
Or should it be situational, i.e. opponents being LAG, TAG, passive, etc..

Also, what about a 3 bet Squeeze if there is a caller or two, after the raiser.

Last edited:
bypacheco

bypacheco

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This depends on how many players it has in the table and its position, but better finds to leave one raise standardized to hide some of its hands premium

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 2$ NL, I'm mostly 3-betting for value with some squeezing thrown in once in a while.

I generally 3-bet pretty large, because when I do it for value it helps build big pots (easier to get it in), and when I'm bluffing it has more fold equity. Just keep in mind that a lot of the players at 2$ NL are the 75/2 types, so 3-betting against their raising range doesn't have a lot of value.

Lopos

Lopos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 2$ NL, I'm mostly 3-betting for value with some squeezing thrown in once in a while.

I generally 3-bet pretty large, because when I do it for value it helps build big pots (easier to get it in), and when I'm bluffing it has more fold equity. Just keep in mind that a lot of the players at 2$ NL are the 75/2 types, so 3-betting against their raising range doesn't have a lot of value.

I see what you're saying. 3 bet large to build a huge pot with top quality hands, and when you are bluffing your 3 bet make it large so that if you do get 4 bet, it will be such a large bet that you will be able to drop it.

Now, what do you consider to be a large 3 bet at 2nl? say it was raised to 6. 3 bet to 18? Bet to pot? Over bet the pot?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think and NL2 you could make that 3bet to .25 if the original raiser has a full stack (just because the max buy-in is so large that stacks are very deep).

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how deep the stacks are, and how loose the player is. Usually I 3-bet loose players a lot larger, sometimes up to 5 times their original raise. So if a loose player raises preflop to 8 cents, I would 3-bet to about 32-40 cents. To put that in perspective, if there are no callers or limpers a pot-sized raise would be to 27 cents. So I'm effectively over-betting.

Things do change based on stack size as well. Against short stacks, I'm 3-betting more hands that have immediate showdown value (AQ, KQs, AJs, 99). Against deeper stacks, I'm 3-betting hands that have more implied odds (A3s, 67s, 33).

This also changes based on position. I'm more likely to 3-bet more marginal type hands that don't hit a lot of flops out of position (AJos), and in position I'm more likely to 3-bet with implied odds hands.

Lopos

Lopos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against deeper stacks, I'm 3-betting hands that have more implied odds (A3s, 67s, 33).
Is this because you will more likely not get it all in preflop vs another large stack?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this because you will more likely not get it all in preflop vs another large stack?
Yeah, I'm not 3-betting large stacks who only raise 2% of hands preflop. They're more likely to 4-bet and try to get all in preflop, since their range is so strong. And if I get 4-bet, I usually fold. But you'd be surprised how many people don't 4-bet aces, even deep stacked.

At 25$ NL 6max I 3-bet a *lot*. Just because you 3-bet doesn't mean you're looking to get all in.

Lopos

Lopos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting. I never put so much consideration into a 3 bet. I'm going to start 3 betting a little bit more often given the situations and see how it affects my game. thanks for the helpful advice.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars