B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So far no open limping however never say never
I been playing in extremely tight 6max games with lots of 2 and 3 bet folds
I think limping with KK or AA to open the pot might be a good play in this type of table

You'll only have yourself to blame when someone hits a set and takes all your chips.

The PoolBoy

The PoolBoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This

You'll only have yourself to blame when someone hits a set and takes all your chips.

dont limpie w the kangs or aces...that 1 in7 chance will come more than 1 in 7.. It angers the poker gods and causes baby jesus to weep.

F

freshsmithprince

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hell ya

I have Been a professional poker player for 5 years without any other income... I play 2-5 NL buy in for 200. First four seats in a 10 handed game UTG UTG+1 etc NEVER OPEN RAISE Limp AA KK QQ JJ AK EXCEPT UTG OR UTG+1 then fold 10-10. If someone raises behind u and no one else re-raises SHOVE ALL IN . un less u have JJ or TT and one very tight player raises and no one else calls then fold unless they only raise to 15 then smooth call and hope for a set.... sit down behind the button when u first come in pay the blinds once if your table seems tight leave...if your table is loose at least 1 player straddling or just alot of action stay and wait.... That is an excellent fcking shortstacking 2-5 strat I've been winning with for years....oh and if u win a pot making your stack too deep LEAVE CASH OUT walk 15 minutes to the next poker room...las vegas rules

F

freshsmithprince

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If its raised and re-raised behind you AA and KK definetly shove everytime even if 4 bet to you....AKs is a it depends on the raisers i'd be a hell of alot more ready to thow queens sailing into the muck before I'd lay down AK suited AK off with 2 raises in front of me both raisers would have to be loose agressive maniacs for me to shove...Now say you limp with ur queens under the gun and no one raises no problem if u flop ur set your golden Play VERY AGGRESSIVELy if the board shows any draws over bet the hell out of it it someone bets 20 shove all in for ur remaining 195.... If an ace or a king flops and anyone bets fold its easy.... maybe raise with aces in the 3rd or 4th seat to 25$...

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@ Marginal Could you give some arguments?

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well Kinda sluggish right now but in response to your last post.

If they are aggro, they probably 3 bet a lot. If we have a proper short stack we cant get it in preflop with just ourselves 3 betting. So lets raise, let them 3 bet and jam.
Thats 1.
2 open limping is just terrible cause it is terrible, nothing more needs to be said.

F

freshsmithprince

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No They really don't 3-bet a tight shortstacker very often marginal they really don't.... I could see open raising with aces in EP but I believe limping in and set mining or limp shoving is a strong way to play especially AK and JJ.
Oh and Yes we can get it in preflop with only ourselves 3 betting lol and if not your winning a raised pot with no contest an even better result particuarly with AK which is a fairly big part of the range...sometimes u may even get ur AK called by AQ or worse, other times ur shove might get someone else with AK or JJ too fold allowing us to win with the worst hand uncontested.... say we play ur standard poker... U raise to 3X with ur big pair UTG and everyone folds around to the guy on the button with pocket deuces, the player on the cut-off folds his KQ because afterall u raised UTG, and the guy on the button with 22 has an auto-call in position with plenty of odds to set-mine... I'd rather limp in with my A-A let the KQ raise get the deuces to call and maybe even get the 97 suited in the big blind to call the raise and then shove all in and pick up the 11 big blinds uncontested or have someone make a donko call where i'm huge fave...rather than go to the flop out of position up against piece of cheese hands looking to flop big and crack my MONSTER....

S

sactokid544

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No They really don't 3-bet a tight shortstacker very often marginal they really don't.... I could see open raising with aces in EP but I believe limping in and set mining or limp shoving is a strong way to play especially AK and JJ.
Oh and Yes we can get it in preflop with only ourselves 3 betting lol and if not your winning a raised pot with no contest an even better result particuarly with AK which is a fairly big part of the range...sometimes u may even get ur AK called by AQ or worse, other times ur shove might get someone else with AK or JJ too fold allowing us to win with the worst hand uncontested.... say we play ur standard poker... U raise to 3X with ur big pair UTG and everyone folds around to the guy on the button with pocket deuces, the player on the cut-off folds his KQ because afterall u raised UTG, and the guy on the button with 22 has an auto-call in position with plenty of odds to set-mine... I'd rather limp in with my A-A let the KQ raise get the deuces to call and maybe even get the 97 suited in the big blind to call the raise and then shove all in and pick up the 11 big blinds uncontested or have someone make a donko call where i'm huge fave...rather than go to the flop out of position up against piece of cheese hands looking to flop big and crack my MONSTER....
It seems like you are employing this strategy to all 500 NL live that you play? Limping EVERYTIME UTG and UTG+1 and any other later position with JJ+ is just so bad.
I understand that some people have their short-stack strategies but I would prefer to buy-in deep and mix up my play with JJ+. Sometimes l/r UTG, sometimes raising, etc.
It's hard to imploy the same stategy because as everything in life, especially poker, it always DEPENDS.

EDIT: Also in your post you say KQ folds there. But at 500 NL live, at least here in California, players are so bad that I think KQ almost never folds. Maybe some other 500 live players can chime in but players begin to become smarter at 500NL but most players still play like 200-300NL.

I

Igoallin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have a question about limping in but only regarding micro stakes.
Lets say you are playing 6max micro and you are on the CO with KTs. You have 2 calling stations limping in before you. The Btn and the SB are nits and the BB is a calling station. Wouldnt it be a better idea to just limp in than raise since you already know that they will probably cold call your raise and never fold their hand? They probably limp in with hands that are better than your KTs. The good thing is that you will still get good value from your hand when you hit big (straight or a flush), since the calling stations will call you down with top pair.

I would also like to add that i would raise my KTs if there were no limpers behind me, and i would probably fold it if there was a raise and a call before me.

thanx in advance

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also have a question about limping in but only regarding micro stakes.
Lets say you are playing 6max micro and you are on the CO with KTs. You have 2 calling stations limping in before you. The Btn and the SB are nits and the BB is a calling station. Wouldnt it be a better idea to just limp in than raise since you already know that they will probably cold call your raise and never fold their hand? They probably limp in with hands that are better than your KTs. The good thing is that you will still get good value from your hand when you hit big (straight or a flush), since the calling stations will call you down with top pair.

I would also like to add that i would raise my KTs if there were no limpers behind me, and i would probably fold it if there was a raise and a call before me.

thanx in advance

I think KTs in a premium hand in 6 max...as with all broadway cards...raise and isolate the limpers. most 6 max tables has been tight ....with 2 to the flop....that's a good hand to be playing heads up. if multiple callers still okay as you got position post flop.

I

Igoallin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think KTs in a premium hand in 6 max...as with all broadway cards...raise and isolate the limpers. most 6 max tables has been tight ....with 2 to the flop....that's a good hand to be playing heads up. if multiple callers still okay as you got position post flop.

i agree about isolating the limpers, but the Btn and SB will probably fold anyway since they are nits. If they wake up with a premium hand or pair they will probably come in raising or 3betting my raise. the BB is also a calling station, and he will probably call anyway. Calling stations dont really fold when they decide to play and against their range i am not that ahead, so i dont feel like inflating the pot preflop. I also know that if i hit big i will get paid anyway, so why inflate the pot preflop? I hope i am making sense :)

Also include hands like QTs J10s T9s along with the KTs which was probably the wrong example to use.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree about isolating the limpers, but the Btn and SB will probably fold anyway since they are nits. If they wake up with a premium hand or pair they will probably come in raising or 3betting my raise. the BB is also a calling station, and he will probably call anyway. Calling stations dont really fold when they decide to play and against their range i am not that ahead, so i dont feel like inflating the pot preflop. I also know that if i hit big i will get paid anyway, so why inflate the pot preflop? I hope i am making sense :)

Also include hands like QTs J10s T9s along with the KTs which was probably the wrong example to use.
The few instance that I might limp in is the AA situation when there is an agressive table and I know for sure there is going to be a raise after my limp so I can 3bet when it come s back to me......or when there is a loose passive table and I might play Axs ...not my favorite hand because of kicker problems if its not AK or AQ but i want as many players to see the flop cause I want to hit a flush draw and try to string someone like a KTs or other same suited cards along and trap him

F

freshsmithprince

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm saying 200$ buy in at 2-5 NL.......u limp with ur jacks and if no one raises u look for ur jack then u know ur golden.....plus u give the most opportunities for lesser hands than ur jacks tens nines eights lower pockets even,,, plus crappy overs and stuff KJ suited, KQ off KTsuited AToff or AJsuited etc. to raise then other less hands call in between comes back to u no one 3-bet the loose raiser u shove ur 200 bucks thats...bloooooop bankroll builder all day long

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian shoves 100% of pots with no raisers, he is directly to our left and we pick up a premium. There will always be spots where certain plays that are usually horrible are in fact optimal.

I like this...

You can only play like this if your a super nit. What % of hand do you raise with?

very nit.

Shit, maybe I am a nit!

You are a true poker Knight Micro: :ridinghor

H

Humps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm saying 200$ buy in at 2-5 NL.......u limp with ur jacks and if no one raises u look for ur jack then u know ur golden.....plus u give the most opportunities for lesser hands than ur jacks tens nines eights lower pockets even,,, plus crappy overs and stuff KJ suited, KQ off KTsuited AToff or AJsuited etc. to raise then other less hands call in between comes back to u no one 3-bet the loose raiser u shove ur 200 bucks thats...bloooooop bankroll builder all day long

You don't know you're golden as you don't have any idea of the other players' ranges when the flop hits. With this lack of information you have very little idea of how to play post flop.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never say never!!!!

i think sometimes peeps are to regimented in their limp thinking ... nobody can argue the fact that if you are gonna play a hand, then play a hand, but sometimes you just get a feel or the structure of the tourney creates some ambiguity

i find that in tourneys you can get yourself pot comitted very quickly even when you have a stack that is say 15-20X the big blind, so you sometimes do have to ask yourself ... is this my tourney life hand or is this just one of those hands that i would love to see a cheap flop on or at least to see how people act in front of you

... or better yet, you can limp big and have a shorty shove with worse ... that is always a nice situation ... you know they are trying to find a pot that peeps seem to have little interest in to try to get their chips in

i mean, at the end of the day, poker is about figuring out what your opponent has and disguising what you have and a limp can sometimes do the latter, IMO

oh and just to take on the cash angle ... obviously when you have 100BBs why limp

Last edited:
D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
never say never!!!!

i think sometimes peeps are to regimented in their limp thinking ... nobody can argue the fact that if you are gonna play a hand, then play a hand, but sometimes you just get a feel or the structure of the tourney creates some ambiguity

i find that in tourneys you can get yourself pot comitted very quickly even when you have a stack that is say 15-20X the big blind, so you sometimes do have to ask yourself ... is this my tourney life hand or is this just one of those hands that i would love to see a cheap flop on or at least to see how people act in front of you

... or better yet, you can limp big and have a shorty shove with worse ... that is always a nice situation ... you know they are trying to find a pot that peeps seem to have little interest in to try to get their chips in

i mean, at the end of the day, poker is about figuring out what your opponent has and disguising what you have and a limp can sometimes do the latter, IMO

oh and just to take on the cash angle ... obviously when you have 100BBs why limp
Im the OP and my question was posed to the cash games. In tournamnet play the increased blinds are such a signifigant factor that yes, I agree limping play can be the right play......depending on the situation

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never say never!!!!

This is the cash game subforum.

R

rcsmith4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know why people say to never limp in to open the pot. You have to stay random to avoid becoming predictable, there is a situation for everything. Absolutely refusing to use a weapon at your disposal is ignorant.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not know why people say to never limp in to open the pot. You have to stay random to avoid becoming predictable, there is a situation for everything. Absolutely refusing to use a weapon at your disposal is ignorant.

Using open limping as a poker weapon is like using a banana as a street fighting weapon.

F

freshsmithprince

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm glad u idiots think u have to open for a raise thats why I've been able to make a living for so many years playing small no-limit with minimum buys........I limp my hands in early position instead of putting myself in bad situations by raising out of position people say u have very little idea of how to play postfllop after limping with say pocket jacks very FREAKIN easy did I flop a jack? No then don't commit bunch of chiops if u flop ur set overbet the pot....oh well thats why I'm a professional and u guys have jobs I guess...........