need tips on freerolls MTTS

S

Sk8surf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your in free roll lets get real here if you wait for AA KK most likly you will get bad beat by the donk player ive been bad beat so many time im tight player but seems too me if you play like a complete maniac you win in free rolls ive won 3 Ub freeroll in one week that when i wasnt getting bad beat too death playen tight i normally only play top hands and bluff flops when im up vs 1 - 2 player if i have position on them , but i think no matter what you need lot of luck too win themcause you have too dodge ton of bad player and bad cards with makes it harder cause the worst they are the more likly you are too miss read them and or get bad beat i normally place top 500 at Ub but i play really tight like other are sayen , use the free roll too get better play your you knows what hands are good and not good

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok, I get that but i see AA, KK, and QQ less then most of them do, I think when i win one i can end up wining more.
How ever in last nights game i was down to 500 chips pushed allin JQ i hit a J, then i pushed allin with 10 7 os and hit the flop took my chips up to 5K then had JK called there bet and pushed allin after i saw the flop need less to say my chip stack got big....
I was on PS last night to and was playing a freeroll for play cash I got pocket KING's well seeing the hand the guy had a str8 to an ACE but what he did not know and i did not know is two more kings were on there way :) 10k in chips turns in to 25K in chips......
I have ed played really tight and made it to the top 100 and i think if i add some bluffing in there i can make it higher then that...

G

GoodWoodRR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wait for JJ plus and get my stack in. It's double up or out. Otherwise you wait around, the blinds suddenly get high and you have to gamble anyway.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well thanks to all. And my allins were funny AA KK JJ JJ JK AK and KK999 10 7...
And now i can play some cash games again and start to build my BR up.

LankyLegs

LankyLegs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to double or triple up at the start of the freeroll and then leave for while to get something to eat, then when you come back you can play it like a normal MTT because all of the people playing for a bit of entertainment have usually busted out. If you bust out when trying to double up then you have not lost anything and this strategy reduces the chance of wasting hours for no gain. I normally try not to play freerolls however as i dont feel that they help me develop as a poker player and make me develop bad habits.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah i wait till the blinds are up to 60 to 100 but still play some hands to get trips and str8s

L

lewis010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to play more tight at the beggining. thats because there are lots of donks who play very aggresive with hands like 83... however in lots of opportunities they hit the lucky river and win the hand with nothing... afte most of donkeys lose then you should play more types of combinations like jk, q10 maybe q9 suit.... also your chipstack is important. if you hav lots of chips you should play more loose trying to steal your opponents blinds and bets. if you have a few chips try to play tight and with a good combination try to recover and increase your chips.... hope this information helps you..
good luck at the tables

A

azbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a lot to be said for the double/triple up or get knocked out method. It's takes a long time to win a freeroll and there's an endless supply of them to choose from. Don't be afraid to take a shot and then tighten up or do something else. The problem with simply waiting the donks out is that the donks create a bunch of big stack donks who will push you around and you'll be at a big disadvantage.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks,
some of them try to push on me but soon i trap them and it works, how ever the one did not learn the 3 times on trapping him. :)
There are some that know you can not push me out or trap me in to a hand for that much even tho they try...
thanks for the tips

A

azbo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a good strategy in the UB 5000 seat freerolls. I trap a lot as well. In the first hour some of the lottery players will have 3-9k chips just because they won an all in vs a group. Someone has to be the winner and quite frequently it's just a random donk who you can milk for chips with superior play. be patient, see flops cheaply, avoid committing too many chips unless you actually have a hand and eventually you'll have the nuts when donks are pushing.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yep so true, no mater how many times you trap them they just won't learn
;)

R

RAMARAIDER

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait until a couple of rounds to outlast the landmines. Don't overplay your hand and resist going all in early. Pickup small pots to keep your stack going by playing with middle stacks. When the serious round start than you can play properly with serious players.

10crow10

10crow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in freerolls all you can really hope for is to not be at the table with the idiots shoving all in every hand, if i have decent players at my table i tend to do alright

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gotta play really tight early until about 30 percent of the field is gone...but at some point you gotta loosen up in mid to late position to build your stack otherwise the players who called the early all ins and hit will be able to shove you around and out of hands with a small stack

gl

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy stuff, step by step;

Step 1...Avoid the first hour. DO not get into any confrontations without great position and AA or KK, and be very wary of KK.
(note, if you play anything the first hour you will not be around for the 3rd hour):D

Step 2...Once you have made the break, which is likely further than you have ever gone before, pat yourself on the back. You can now begin some chip accumulation. You do this by using the info gathered in the first hour about who is insane, and what kind of insanity they suffer. You still MUST have position, and pretty damn good cards, unless you are bored and have other things to do.

If you do find yourself with position and pretty damn good cards, then act like it. Don't put all your chips in the middle right off, you will look like your bored, and all the folks still standing know how to deal with that bs. Controlled aggression is the key. You've seen the size of the raises other players are making, and the conditions they have been making those raises in, try doing that instead of whatever it is you have been doing which never got you this far before!

Step 3 Hour 3. By now 3/4 of the original field is gone, and you have mostly decent players left. If you think you have some game, this is the time to find out. The 3rd hour is the time when a whole new dimension gains validity in a big tourney. The decent players all acknowledge they have made it this far and all will be reluctant to jeopardize their stacks in contested pot without pretty nice holdings. This is when you actually could consider that bluffs might have a chance. Beware, if you over use bluffing (pulling the wool over the eyes of a fool) the only fool will be you. You probably can't get away with more than maybe 1 or 2 bluffs every 5 orbits. Hands are playing fast at this point, and timing those bluffs become critical. If you see anyone entering the pot more than 30% of the time you can consider that he is likely abusing that bluffing privilege. This is an opportunity for you, but going against him with light holdings is not recommended. Also, every other player is seeing the same thing as you are seeing, and looking for that same opportunity.

Step 4 Hour 4. Hopefully you are sitting with close to the average stack and haven't panicked and are in no need of drastic action yet. You may even already be ITM. If not, then you may be close. Pre bubble, everyone is thinking the same thing, get ITM, then make the move. At this point you probably can up that bluff ratio and get away with it. Post bubble, the game takes on many of the early tourney madness, and you can tighten up while the rest of the low stacks fight it out. You will move up the payscale without doing anything.

Step 5 Definitly ITM, probably about half the money field is gone. The short stacks at the bubble have solved that short stack problem, one way or another. You may be getting low and this is when boldness starts paying off. This is when you can actually start playing poker like you see it on TV. Somewhere in your psyche there has to be that element of "I don't care", but it can't be total recklessness. You have to find the aggressive game in yourself. You are in raise or fold land. You must abandon all your intimidations here if you hope to keep advancing. If you are card dead, then folding here will still move you up the payscale, and I think it is often a better option than pushing mediocre hands. We all dream about the glory of the win, but a good healthy payday is glory without the gory.

Step 5 will last until the final table, that can take a long time. During step 5, you will need to race several times, usually with short stacks and often with tourney death starring you in the face. Make good decisions here and you may survive, but remember with 10 players left, 90% of them will fail! Your goal is to outlast them all. Milk Toast will not be the last one standing.

Step 6 HU. You have to understand that in many ways HU's are always crapshoots. Luck of the draw. Take your 2 cards and if they average over 7.5 you are above average in a HU! You want to take advantage of marginal advantages but probably do NOT want to put your life on the line.
Suited cards are an advantage, connectors , and small pairs are advantages. It is almost always correct to complete if you think your villain will check, but HU this is never a given. He got here being aggressive, just like you did.

Step 7 Bask in the glory...You won!

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks, that helps me out after not playing since sunday.

totomen

totomen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks to dj11 for the explanation
it's quite clear and complete
this answers a lot of question i still have trying to improve my game

thanks a lot

vixenx78

vixenx78

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now this was a good thread and everyone had good advice and help.
Its awesome how we all can help each other
Thanks for the topic, and its a very good read.
ive not really known much about MTT but now i do,,, wooot
Everyday you learn something new..
and with poker its a lifes lesson, to master!!

B

bobboss171

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I just go with great hands is not the way to win at poker.
First we must examine to what position you are on the table, look how many people have called before you, and what is the main information that you have their opponents.
We should always examine our opponents and always make notations in the notebook and then sit back with this adversary already taking some of the information so that the adversary play.

Poker Tips Freeroll Passwords