need tips on freerolls MTTS

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need some tips on getting better at freerolls.
I only play high cards AA KK JJ AJ AK AQ or 10s and up but have lost more with QQ.
When i do get a hand i push hard with it and still get called and win most of the time.
I have picked up when some players have a big hand :angel:
what else can i do i am short stacked and that gets me up there on UB top 100

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn to steal blinds when you "M level" gets low.

M = Your Stack / (Blinds + Antes)

So if you have 10,000 chips, and the blinds are 500/250 with a 50 chip ante, then your M level is:

M = 10000 / (500+250+(50*10)) = 8

So generally, when your M is below 10, you want to play the pot by going all in preflop. This is because by taking down the blinds & antes, you add 10% or more to your stack. Additionally, even if you make a small min-raise preflop with an M lower than 10, you're priced in to calling a shove with just about any 2 cards.

So when your M is low, don't be shy about jamming your stack in there with some semi-junky hands, if there's a good chance you'll win the blinds.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok thanks for the tip.
i gust got off of a freeroll trips got beat by a flush 32nd place was 23th.
I played that one as hard as hell i kept pushing all in with big pairs and hit a str8 with KK and a flush with KK, i pushed allin on AA with 17390 in chips and got called i did not think someone would call and i won.

H

hastetheday

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll strategy has to be adjusted from real money strategy to account for the fact that there will be more aggressive/looser acts from most of the players.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am trying to take the way i play in play money and put it in the freerolls. I can win big in play money by making calls that i would not make in freerolls and i think that is were my problem sits at... And i fold to much when i have hit a hand and a big bet comes out, And i know all he was pushing with was an ace......

"The only thing i can say is, play tight at MTTs!"
I think i play to tight in MTTs

Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't agree with playing tight in freerolls especially in the early stages. I believe you should look at a lot of flops and look to catch hands. You should be limping with broadway cards, all suited connectors, suited 1 gappers, higher unsuited connectors. I like to push preflop with pocket pairs, AK and AQ. I'm generally a tight player with about a 17% VPIP on a full table but change my game completely for freerolls. I figure to build a good stack the first hour then I can play a more normal game. If I bust out early, I haven't wasted time and can move on to something else.

Freerolls are obviously filled with bad players, and a lot of them so you're not going to get the same results as you would in a money game with the same play. That's also why I believe play money and freeroll games are bad to practice at.

Cowboy8112

Cowboy8112

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with playing tight in the 1st hour, but don't get pushed out of hands that you have been invited into by a bunch of limpers. Take some time and get a feel for the people at your table, you would be suprised at what some people consider all in cards. and use the best tool available to online players.....PLAYER NOTES. and dont just vent in it. write down what they did, chip count, position and the date. It will server you well in later games

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok and i did note one big thing Ultimatebet keeps putting me at the top 5 tables now??? and i have no clue as to why???.
Well useing the info from the posts today i did good but not great.
The only hand that i would get to win with was Qs for 2:58 of game play, 193 hands i only won 13 of them 1 was a flush, and i did not see pocket aces or kings that whole game.
Also i have taken note that the top 50 or so only play good hands and it starts to slow down.
The only thing that took me out was the blinds 3000/6000 and the ant....
top 20 payed and i got 43rd if i did 30th or better i could of won a ticket to go in to the 1000$ freeroll for today..
I must say that i did not do to bad seeing there was 3000+ players.

I am patient and i do use position thanks.
Thanks for them two tips

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FRs

1st--thanks for the FR tip, c9h13no3 (I think I played w/your brother last night-c8h10n4O2--know him?) also, if you've just recently started playing FRs at UB, kid, you'll be getting an invite to an "invitation Only" game at UB---so watch yer e-mail---they e-mail these invitations!

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sweet thanks rick
i will be keeping en eye out for that email.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't agree with playing tight in freerolls especially in the early stages. I believe you should look at a lot of flops and look to catch hands. You should be limping with broadway cards, all suited connectors, suited 1 gappers, higher unsuited connectors. I like to push preflop with pocket pairs, AK and AQ. I'm generally a tight player with about a 17% VPIP on a full table but change my game completely for freerolls. I figure to build a good stack the first hour then I can play a more normal game. If I bust out early, I haven't wasted time and can move on to something else.

Freerolls are obviously filled with bad players, and a lot of them so you're not going to get the same results as you would in a money game with the same play. That's also why I believe play money and freeroll games are bad to practice at.
read these words^^^.
freerolls are great for practicing new moves, hands you wouldnt play normally, etc, because what have you got to lose? only time!

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I get it.
I do have some info on this to i know ones who play in real money games and then they play in freerolls and they play more aggressive in the freeroll and even in MTTs. And the one thing i will not do is push someone with less chips then i have... ( found out the hard way) learn from your mistakes....

KevGuy

KevGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, in freerolls, i like to splash around in late position and try to trap very early in the tournament. Of course, if i am the first person to enter a pot i will raise. Freerolls, its all about trapping the crazy people.

asianpride54

asianpride54

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't always just play good hands because sometimes you might just not get them it is smart to play various hands depending on if your on the button or if your small blind or blig blind also if the cards are suited connected etc. Also you have to take into account the blinds and how fast they raise you have to keep on a good pace don't play too agressive and make yourself pot committed and may have to go all in with a bad or don't play too tight and get caught up with the blinds. Poker is a really fasinating game because of all the aspect of this game. It is true what Doyle Brunson says in the beginning of the show, "Poker After Dark" , "poker takes more than a chip and a chair". There are so many aspects of the game which makes the game based on skill rather than luck.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been working on trapping and building the pot for bigger wins, i have also been working on my skill rather then hopping on my luck....
I also have lowered what hands i play now any cards higher then 8s and on the off time when at the BB i play low cards or rags.
Being pot committed is one thing i need to work on in freerolls....
Thanks guys/gals

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How would you deal with someone slow playing???
After the first 2 hands he did that with i picked up on when he has the top hand.. He sits there for 5sec to 10sec then checks... I made a note on him so next time i know. thanks for the tip cowboy.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Notes are a clue, not a guarantee. Once you note a player, it may well be many months before you see them at your table again.

Just as you are trying to get tips, learn, and may have changed something you do with your strategy, they may well have fixed leaks in their game, or changed their strategies by the time you see them again.

Caution about how much weight you put on your notes untill you can confirm that they have not changed their game play. GL.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok, i played him about a week ago and he still does the same...
Thanks for the heads up.
TY, U2

JustRaiseTheBlinds

JustRaiseTheBlinds

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's oke in freerolls to pick your moments and push very aggestive if your in hand. But there a thinks more in poker. Like tryong to steal the blinds if the blinds are high and your a short stack. You can also play with your tight image and try to bluf. In freerolls pll don't look to position or image, so it will be hard there.

P

philber420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play tight off the bat, only play your AA or KK, against the barrage of all in donks. After the first break look to play some poker, raise with your strong starting hands in position 4x the bb, or just call raises with your AK type hands instead of re rasing , that way if you dont hit the flop it is an easy fold.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thanks,
I know i have been getting bluffed alot but i am working on holding my ground on pots now.
If the players stay at the same table my tight image works real good...
AK i am lucky if i see them 1 time.... and playing in position is also working to, now i see why to play from your position so much better now..
And i also have been playing some more hands now and i play suited cards that are from 7 and up...

I hope to play yous all real soon in the freerolls but till then i will be working on my game some more....

KevGuy

KevGuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to remember that freerolls tourneys are crapshoots for the most part. You must trap the crazy players if want any shot at winning. Use position alot in freerolls.

pifan

pifan

PiFace
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like to play in them just to loosen me up a little i tend to play too tightly at times i find them fun and dont care if i make a mistake or someone donks me out they are tension relievers

asianpride54

asianpride54

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you need tips on MTT i am the right man to help. I've played many MTT and most were freeroll with 2700+ more player in one freeroll. I learn that taking chance with hands does pay off. It seems in MTT the more hands you play the better opportunities you have to go further into the tournament. I when i play tournament try to play as many hands as I can. Then when i hit on the flop like trips or something i would trap let my opponent dig himself into a hole that he can't get out of. The first couple of hundres of people in MTT are usually bad players and are easy to take advantage of. Well in MTT you have to try to gain as many chips from the beginning of them game getting a big stack will help you. Then when you get to the last 1 or 2 hundred you have to play conservative and not play as many hands as you can because that will just end up with you wasting a whole bunch of chips for paying for the blinds and calling others. When playing near cashing in the MTT you want to only paly premium hands such as AA, KK, QQ, JJ, 10 10, AK, AQ, AJ, A10, KQ, KJ, K 10, those are probably the hands you want to paly also maybe suited connecting cards. I hope my tips have helped you. Also try to play agressive in the beginning and try to steal blinds when no one bets and there only the small and big blind left in the hand.

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play super tight in freerolls...especially in the beginning. I also limp alot...it seems the donkeys like to flex their muscles if you raise, they never know when they should fold, so next thing you know you're pocket aces are getting busted by someones bullsh1t hand that they couldnt give up. And I would never practice different plays in a freeroll cause freerolls are full of the worst players and just cause it worked in a freeroll, you'd be kidding yourself if you think it will be as effective in a real game.

Poker Tips Freeroll Passwords