minimum raise

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay - read your previous post and other than not knowing what MP means it was well written and I know basically what you are saying.

But if I have AK and AKjunk flops and I raise 4x the bet your little villian folds almost every time and I have won a tiny amount with a great hand. Doesn't matter if I am playing with you and Liam who can read me like a book lol - or a table full of total strangers.
Thanks
There are things that works at the smallest of the micros and you can get way with it because people do not pay attention to something else other than their hand.
It does not work that way from 10NL or 25NL up. While making the same raise preflop you need to balance the range of hands that you play to become unpredictable. Same thing with the betsize on the flop.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any individual hand can not win a MTT (except for the last one) but just one hand can lose it.

When it comes to fundimentals I just dont see the point of risking more chips than you have to when you have a chance to lose the hand. I've personally seen players call big raises on a draw in Freerolls and $22 buy-in's. You see the top players in the world doing it in every show they have on TV. I've watched $50/$100 ring games on FT and Stars where players have called thousands on a draw. If you have middle pair or any moderate hand and you know your opponent is on a draw and will call a big raise then why raise? If you currently have the best hand then why just call?
Have you seen the pot to stack ratio?Do you know the history between them and how many bluffs they think the opponent has in his range? They all play for the long run. Sometimes they put up a show on TV. But most likely they all play for the long run.
Using custom raise sizes for the hand streght makes someone very predictable.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are things that works at the smallest of the micros and you can get way with it because people do not pay attention to something else other than their hand.
It does not work that way from 10NL or 25NL up. While making the same raise preflop you need to balance the range of hands that you play to become unpredictable. Same thing with the betsize on the flop.

Thanks - but need to make sure you know I asked these questions 8 years ago. ;)

Have you seen the pot to stack ratio?Do you know the history between them and how many bluffs they think the opponent has in his range? They all play for the long run. Sometimes they put up a show on TV. But most likely they all play for the long run.
Using custom raise sizes for the hand streght makes someone very predictable.

This dude was banned a long time ago.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah just saw that. So has the time passed been a good teacher?

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I should do a Q&A thread one day for sure.

That would be fab! We have so many questions!

I noticed that you and Joe have two distinct poker styles. Do the two of you ever table together, and if so, how does that work out? Do you know each other so well that you're able to exploit and have fun and chuckles while doing it?

When will you finally confess to Joe that you're a bot with impeccable shove timing?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amazing how much the game has changed over the last 8 years. Min-raising in sooo standard now its not funny, still though in a loose limpy game (like every game 8 years ago) min-raising is pretty bad.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That would be fab! We have so many questions!

I noticed that you and Joe have two distinct poker styles. Do the two of you ever table together, and if so, how does that work out? Do you know each other so well that you're able to exploit and have fun and chuckles while doing it?

When will you finally confess to Joe that you're a bot with impeccable shove timing?

We definitely play very differently and the only time we ever play in the same game is once in a while in a CC game.

But the difference appears very drastic if comparing how we play CC games.

The only time you guys will see me play seriously is in the Carbon games because I want the ticket from the leaderboard lol. And even then my game is a bit different because of the points.

It is very rare I play any other CC game when I am not also working, playing Chinese poker with Joe., paying bills or some other kind of multi-tasking. I don't have time to dedicate myself completely to playing poker online.

Joe takes his league games very seriously and even if there is some minor multi-tasking his league game takes priority.

I am the opposite - my work (or just about anything else I might be doing) takes priority over my poker game.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We definitely play very differently and the only time we ever play in the same game is once in a while in a CC game.

But the difference appears very drastic if comparing how we play CC games.

The only time you guys will see me play seriously is in the Carbon games because I want the ticket from the leaderboard lol. And even then my game is a bit different because of the points.

It is very rare I play any other CC game when I am not also working, playing Chinese poker with Joe., paying bills or some other kind of multi-tasking. I don't have time to dedicate myself completely to playing poker online.

Joe takes his league games very seriously and even if there is some minor multi-tasking his league game takes priority.

I am the opposite - my work (or just about anything else I might be doing) takes priority over my poker game.

Interesting dynamics for sure, and this explains so much. I always thought that you were just super-focused on the games because you are always so quiet, but now I know it's because you're multi-tasking.

For sure, Joe is a beast at these League games and he is doing quite well this season.. about to break an MVP record, I think.

I could ask 1000 more questions... not kidding... I'm a curious guy ;)

Are you going to start a Q & A thread? Or shall I continue here? :D :D

I wish that more people would have a Q & A thread. Do we have to wait for 14k posts? :D :D

I could ask 1000 questions of Tammy, Lark, Jason, Stephen, Jeff, Alfie, Arjonius, Elbert, Wizz, Debbie, Joe, Bruce, Martin, Barb, Sue, everyone on my team... so many people here...

I wish Jason would start his own "ask me anything about poker" thread. I think I could get 10k posts in right there. :D

Last edited:
Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will do one soon - I am long overdue. I was going to say at 50k posts - but that won't happen until next year.

Maybe next month during our 10th Anniversary I will have a well thread.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
opened this thread thinking Debi had posted this recently then was actually surprised to see it was from 8 years ago lol! I had a post ready to go :/ Takes me back to when I first started playing online 7 years ago and how much different the game was > limping was standard > 4x raises were common > ahhhh the good ole days

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
opened this thread thinking Debi had posted this recently then was actually surprised to see it was from 8 years ago lol! I had a post ready to go :/ Takes me back to when I first started playing online 7 years ago and how much different the game was > limping was standard > 4x raises were common > ahhhh the good ole days

Hehe, Trent, should we start by asking if you know what the Cutoff is? Hehehe!

Agree... these old threads are really tickling my poker funny bone!

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May be I should spend more time looking at really old threads and we could find how the game & people have evolved. thanks for the bump.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Interesting dynamics for sure, and this explains so much. I always thought that you were just super-focused on the games because you are always so quiet, but now I know it's because you're multi-tasking.

For sure, Joe is a beast at these League games and he is doing quite well this season.. about to break an MVP record, I think.

I could ask 1000 more questions... not kidding... I'm a curious guy ;)

Are you going to start a Q & A thread? Or shall I continue here? :D :D

I wish that more people would have a Q & A thread. Do we have to wait for 14k posts? :D :D

I could ask 1000 questions of Tammy, Lark, Jason, Stephen, Jeff, Alfie, Arjonius, Elbert, Wizz, Debbie, Joe, Bruce, Martin, Barb, Sue, everyone on my team... so many people here...

I wish Jason would start his own "ask me anything about poker" thread. I think I could get 10k posts in right there. :D
Ian's thread made me realize that I've never done a well thread, and was just thinking last night that I should probably do one when I hit my next rounded 2x,000 posts. :p

And, I have played live w/ both Debi and Joe. Both tough opponents! Joe is very hard to read--a real shark at the table. I learned early to try not to tangle with him too much!

This thread also has me thinking about a really embarassing (to me) thread that I made years ago about poker and women's intuition. :eek: LOL, what the heck was I thinking?

Edit: Oh. I see I just recently hit 27k posts...hmmm...maybe I'll make a well thread in a few days.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ian's thread made me realize that I've never done a well thread, and was just thinking last night that I should probably do one when I hit my next rounded 2x,000 posts. :p

And, I have played live w/ both Debi and Joe. Both tough opponents! Joe is very hard to read--a real shark at the table. I learned early to try not to tangle with him too much!

This thread also has me thinking about a really embarassing (to me) thread that I made years ago about poker and women's intuition. :eek: LOL, what the heck was I thinking?

Edit: Oh. I see I just recently hit 27k posts...hmmm...maybe I'll make a well thread in a few days.

Hehe, I think we all learn that "don't tangle with Debi or Joe" the hard way. :D :D

Please DO make a well thread! I have a thousand... well, at least 38... questions for you! And I'm dying to see the intuition thread!

:D :D

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like open min raising in some situations: some tables / players will raise limpers, but just call a min raise. Some players or games are aggressive and will pounce on any thing resembling weak play. This can be a great way to get a straddleer to put in a BIG 3bet. If you play live tourneys, many players will give up their blinds for min raises with regularity when you get near the money and again when you get near the top three.

Min raising after someone has bet can also be the best play; it just depends on how your opponent reacts to min bets, his hand and his impression of you. Some always call. Some assume you have the nuts and are just fishing.

No limit is a very complex game.

All that said, raising more is usually better.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you going to take Joe out for a steak dinner when he breaks the MVP record this season in League? :D

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you going to take Joe out for a steak dinner when he breaks the MVP record this season in League? :D

I am taking him and 2 others out to dinner tonight - but not for that lol.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omg this is funny, I didn't notice the dates and was very confused, especially when you said you had been playing 2 years, lol