minimum raise

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get this argument at all. The basic rule to follow in poker is put chips in the center when you are ahead. If you have middle-pair and think your opponent is drawing to a straight or something, believe it or not you are winning here. You want to lay your opponent lousy odds to continue, because by doing so you're effectively making a bet that he won't hit his draw at odds that are in your favour.

You're essentially saying "I could lose the bet, so shouldn't I put less money on it even though the odds are in my favour?" Sorry, buddy, it just doesn't make sense. If you think you're winning, you want to increase the size of the pot, almost 100% of the time.

JimboJim, please believe me when I say that Dorkus is right and all the literature and smart money are onside with what he is saying, as is the math.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dakota, first time Ive read this thread, so would like to add my bit:
UTG, on the button, or EP your PF move must be in relation to your 'reads' on the other players. If you're holding motown, doyles hand, or the computer hand, then limp. if its big slick, cowboys, or even bangkok ladyboy make a hefty riot. if its a tourney, calculate your M, and your Q, and the other's M's and Q's, but mind your P's and Q's. When those babies flop, before you bet/call/check/scratch your head looking puzzled, work out your EV, is it - or +? then work out pot odds, then implied pot odds, and finally work out what time it is in Australia when you bet, as thats key if your holding Big Slick, or the guy next to you is tilting. Then make your bet, min., 2x,3x,5x,76.4x, or even half the pot, 3/4 the pot, the pot plus a rabbit, etc to deny him calling odds.
also, work out what everyones style is?: TAG TAP LAP LAG LAW SOS FUK DIK etc
Hope this helps?

....oh hang on, no acronyms, sorry, ah well too late now

(daks knows Im just kidding her before anyone says stop being cocky, it took me an hour to look up all the meanings to what I wrote here!)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Jim is also misapplying tournament theory. It is generally sensible not to push coinflips or even small edges early on if you feel you have a skill advantage on the field, but made hand vs flush draw is not a coinflip or a small edge, it's 65/35, and that's assuming the player on the draw gets to see both the turn and river, which is huge. Not to mention there are already often going to be plenty of chips in the pot, too.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dakota, first time Ive read this thread, so would like to add my bit:
UTG, on the button, or EP your PF move must be in relation to your 'reads' on the other players. If you're holding motown, doyles hand, or the computer hand, then limp. if its big slick, cowboys, or even bangkok ladyboy make a hefty riot. if its a tourney, calculate your M, and your Q, and the other's M's and Q's, but mind your P's and Q's. When those babies flop, before you bet/call/check/scratch your head looking puzzled, work out your EV, is it - or +? then work out pot odds, then implied pot odds, and finally work out what time it is in Australia when you bet, as thats key if your holding Big Slick, or the guy next to you is tilting. Then make your bet, min., 2x,3x,5x,76.4x, or even half the pot, 3/4 the pot, the pot plus a rabbit, etc to deny him calling odds.
also, work out what everyones style is?: TAG TAP LAP LAG LAW SOS FUK DIK etc
Hope this helps?

....oh hang on, no acronyms, sorry, ah well too late now

(daks knows Im just kidding her before anyone says stop being cocky, it took me an hour to look up all the meanings to what I wrote here!)

You had me going for a few seconds lol. But IDKWTFYATA!!!!!

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Dont Know What The F*ck I Am Talking About either!

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Minimum raises dont do much, especially if im in the Big Blind i will call a minimum raise 99% of the time and so will everyone else>>>buck:cool:

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like the minimum raise with crap hands now and again, a couple fold, and some think you have a hand but dont know how to bet it. quite effective when a painted flop hits(KQJ etc)

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't have much to add really (not like I really ever do :) ), but do agree with the consensus here (Chris, Liam, etc) in what they are saying.

No, I more posted here because I liked the new forum word of the day...
undrawoutonable nuts

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Question, primarily to Dorkus, but I'm sure others can supply the same or similar response.

If you're playing Sit and Go, say at Costa, 10 people, blinds at second level so 25/50, no one out so average stack is 1,000.

To not miniraise, it costs you 50 + 100 to 250, depending on what you raise, which at this point then is 15-30% of the average stack. Assuming someone calls, then if you catch a part of the flop or continuation bet, you've committed your tournament to this hand. But you're saying, this is where you have to be, given the structure of the tournament and the situation?

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just keep the raise on the lower end of that range. Raise it up to 150, 3x the BB, and don't make a continuation bet unless you're prepared to lay it down or see it through.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Saw the thread title & my first thought was, I sure miss seeing Dorkus posting here. :)

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OMG, I have so many questions, where do I begin? :D :D

1. Since is is 8 years later, and you are a recurring mistress of the Live WPT Women's Championships, can we assume now that you know where seat 8 is, and are we permitted to use other lingo such as Hijack? :eek:

2. Who is Fredric?

3. Why do you love/trust TenBob more than anyone else?

4. Have you min-raised in the last 8 years?

So many more questions, but I'll paws there for now. Maybe you should be next month's MOTM, so I can get them all answered. :D :D

Howling here. This truly just made my evening!

:D :D

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL, Didn't spot the dates till page two,
and was wondering why Dakota was acting so naive.

How times change, now min raise or 2.5 are coming back in to fashion.

And Debs will be wearing Hot Pants at the 10th Anniversary Party.

http://youtu.be/Td8I1inOPrk

(and I still can't get videos to embed)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OMG, I have so many questions, where do I begin? :D :D

1. Since is is 8 years later, and you are a recurring mistress of the Live WPT Women's Championships, can we assume now that you know where seat 8 is, and are we permitted to use other lingo such as Hijack? :eek:

2. Who is Fredric?

3. Why do you love/trust TenBob more than anyone else?

4. Have you min-raised in the last 8 years?

So many more questions, but I'll paws there for now. Maybe you should be next month's MOTM, so I can get them all answered. :D :D

Howling here. This truly just made my evening!

:D :D

1 - yep I know the table positions and lingo now lol
2- Fredrik used to be a mod here - and one of the smartest poker players and one of the smartest people I have ever met. We miss him!
3 - I love Tenbob because he brought me to CardsChat and I will forever be in his debt. That trust was blind lol.
4 - I min-raise on a regular basis - they gave me some bad advice in this thread lol. ;)

I should do a Q&A thread one day for sure.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Okay - read your previous post and other than not knowing what MP means it was well written and I know basically what you are saying.

But if I have AK and AKjunk flops and I raise 4x the bet your little villian folds almost every time and I have won a tiny amount with a great hand. Doesn't matter if I am playing with you and Liam who can read me like a book lol - or a table full of total strangers.

If I sound like I am just learning the game after playing for 2 years - well maybe I am. I played for the entertainment of it until now and was content to chalk the losses up to entertainment expense.

Now I would like to try to win more often so it means paying more attention to these things.

Unfortunately my brain will freeze up if I overload it - so one thing at a time for me and I have to keep it simple.

Thanks

I was never a noob ;)

No Never,

Thanks for the bump, this thread is a look into you past mindset.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
1 - yep I know the table positions and lingo now lol
2- Fredrik used to be a mod here - and one of the smartest poker players and one of the smartest people I have ever met. We miss him!
3 - I love Tenbob because he brought me to CardsChat and I will forever be in his debt. That trust was blind lol.
4 - I min-raise on a regular basis - they gave me some bad advice in this thread lol. ;)

I should do a Q&A thread one day for sure.

Is he different than Fredrik P.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice old thread. If only Fredrick and ChuckTs had posted in it too, it would have been a more complete trip down memory lane.