Mentally beat, how to turn it round ?

Y

Yadoula

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Feel like the gods themselves are against you?
Feel like its becoming impossible to win?
This is all standard tilt. How to get over tilt is easy, forget about how much money your making and just play the game.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about this:

PokerStars - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 166.1 BB (VPIP: 42.11, PFR: 26.32, 3Bet Preflop: 12.50, Hands: 19)
Hero (BB): 57.8 BB
UTG: 104.6 BB (VPIP: 30.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
CO: 103.4 BB (VPIP: 21.28, PFR: 17.02, 3Bet Preflop: 6.67, Hands: 48)
BTN: 100 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8<font color='red'>♥</font> 8<font color='black'>♣</font>

fold, fold, fold, SB raises to 3 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6 BB, 2 players) 9<font color='red'>♥</font> 8<font color='red'>♦</font> Q<font color='black'>♠</font>
SB bets 5 BB, Hero raises to 10 BB, SB raises to 73 BB, Hero calls 44.8 BB and is all-in

Turn: (115.6 BB, 2 players) K<font color='black'>♠</font>

River: (115.6 BB, 2 players) 7<font color='red'>♦</font>

SB shows K<font color='black'>♣</font> K<font color='red'>♥</font> (Three of a Kind, Kings) (Pre 82%, Flop 11%, Turn 98%)
Hero shows 8<font color='red'>♥</font> 8<font color='black'>♣</font> (Three of a Kind, Eights) (Pre 18%, Flop 89%, Turn 2%)
SB wins 110.4 BB

NH, you got the SB to spew the flop.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the past and even sometimes these days I put some bad beats on luck.
But after I review the hands I start slapping myself. On some bad beats I played poorly. Betsize preflop, loosing value posflop, slowplaying against tourists(never, but never slowplay against turists, they will not put money in pot unless you make them), overvaluing top pair. I probabely be a God if I would correct these basic mistakes. I started recently to relearn basic poker even if I am a winner at micros up to 10NL. I think I could add about 2-3BBs at my winning rate. It counts here but it will count a lot at higher stakes if I will be able to climb to 25NL and up.

E

enesem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to Pokertracker, my overall luck bell curve is:

Sets: Normal (on the line)
Flushes: Border between unlucky and extremely unlucky
Straights: Exteremely unlucky, almost at the boundary.

Once again I am at a table with two complete fish.

Fish 1: 68/14 Fish 2 44/13, and both are doing very nicely (+ 100 bb up). One of them just runner/runnered a flush to kill my set. Every time, whatever they need they get.

It's no wonder people say PS is rigged when it's relentless like this.

The answer of course is to be objective and work on the game, the good thing is that if my bell curve shows my luck as so bad, then statistically it means I should get some better hands soon.

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also used to see tables with massive fish who would double and triple their stacks playing ATC. Last year when I'd only been playing a few months I ran REALLY badly for a while. Of course I was playing badly too but I was running 15bi's below EV at one point. :eek: It really got me down when fish would boat over boat or straight flush over nut flush me for huge pots.

At first, what I used to do was quit the table angrily in disgust. One time I decided to just wait it out and keep playing and ended up winning a 600bb pot from one of these fish. Wow - that felt good! :D The other thing I would do, after taking a beating, was sit out and just watch. Eventually the fish would be busted - by someone else - but I still got huge pleasure out of seeing justice done. :)

What I'm trying to say is, it does turn around. Also, if you improve your play, the suckouts get balanced by the many small pots you take down before showdown plus the increased value you get from your monster hands. I've been running better recently (at EV or slightly above) but still suffer the same suckouts and coolers. The difference is they haven't put me into the negative as they are being balanced out. Hopefully the same will happen for you before too long.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Tonights classic - at least he was short stacked. I know I played differently to advised above, but i wanted to get him to commit all in. Shocking.

Villain is 73/13. I swear, the worse they play the more they win.

PokerStars - €0.05 NL - Holdem - 7 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (UTG): 198.2 BB
UTG+1: 23.8 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
MP: 289.6 BB (VPIP: 13.27, PFR: 9.26, 3Bet Preflop: 2.82, Hands: 1,339)
CO: 95.2 BB (VPIP: 40.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 10)
BTN: 156.8 BB (VPIP: 14.23, PFR: 10.31, 3Bet Preflop: 5.04, Hands: 777)
SB: 108.2 BB (VPIP: 14.51, PFR: 7.99, 3Bet Preflop: 1.48, Hands: 1,409)
BB: 53.2 BB (VPIP: 18.59, PFR: 5.93, 3Bet Preflop: 1.42, Hands: 618)

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has A<font color='black'>♣</font> A<font color='red'>♥</font>

Hero raises to 3 BB, UTG+1 calls 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold

Flop: (7.4 BB, 2 players) 7<font color='red'>♥</font> A<font color='red'>♦</font> 8<font color='black'>♠</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks

Turn: (7.4 BB, 2 players) 9<font color='black'>♣</font>
Hero bets 2 BB, UTG+1 calls 2 BB

River: (11.4 BB, 2 players) 5<font color='red'>♥</font>
Hero bets 11 BB, UTG+1 calls 11 BB

Hero shows A<font color='black'>♣</font> A<font color='red'>♥</font> (Three of a Kind, Aces) (Pre 88%, Flop 95%, Turn 82%)
UTG+1 shows 6<font color='red'>♦</font> K<font color='black'>♣</font> (Straight, Nine High) (Pre 12%, Flop 5%, Turn 18%)
UTG+1 wins 32 BB

I would of checked the flop, just like you did to set a trap but the turn was awful imo, you gave him a cheap chase at hitting his straight, you should of bet close to the pot on the turn. I know all too well that a SD or a FD can ruin your chance of getting paid on your sets. Don't give him or anyone the pot odds to chase.

I'm not anywhere near being good at poker, this is the advice I have been given in the past and still working on it.

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im running pretty bad at the moment mate so try not to let it get you down! Yesterday I couldn't win a pot and took a heavy loss, started it off with my AKs getting beaten by 36s all in pre aswell, what a psychic. didnt make his flush, made 2 pair of course :) and ended with my K high flush beaten by the ace haha. Today could be a long day too, my Queens beaten by AQ and ive only just sat down lol

E

enesem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Todays two all in hands that cleared out another 2 buy ins:

Flopped a straight, all in against trips, villain gets full house on the river.
Flopped a set, all in against air, villain gets flush on the river.

I am wondering if i should try another poker site for comparison. Not suggesting something odd going on, I am just wondering if PS attracts players that just don't let go of hands so statistically you are going to get rubbed out more often.

I can spend 2 hours turning $5 into $7 or $8, then the whole lot goes in one hand that I was way favourite to win. It never works the other way round as I am not entering these hands with weak hole cards that magically improve. It means it's impossible to range your opponent, he could have anything.

Now if I do have a decent hand, I am massively overbetting the flop to get them to fold. There is no way I want to take AA with A on the flop, flopped straight, flopped full house or any other hand to the river apart from quads and even then I would be worried if I saw a higher pair or something that could be a straight flush on the river.

This is the mental issue now, trying to play a game to the end as nearly every decent hand is being taken out by the river.

Last edited:
Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of them just runner/runnered a flush to kill my set. Every time, whatever they need they get.

It's no wonder people say PS is rigged when it's relentless like this.

I play live, so I only see about 1000 hands per week at best. One week I flopped a set of 5's got it all in on the flop, and got beat by a runner-runner spade flush...twice.

It's not just online poker.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, you're moaning again about bad beats or talking about hands that are beating your on the river. These won't help you improve and I assume that's what you're wanting to do?

Given you have poker tracker and you are wasting your time looking at your luck factor, why not use that time in poker tracker to do something constructive like filter your hands for positions and seeing what errors you're making and plug your leaks rather than looking at how bad you seem to think you run? We can't control our luck factor in poker so it's pointless focusing on that, besides which you haven't even experienced any significant bad runs yet so if it's effecting you already I'd work on your mental game first. It's also going to be much more beneficial as I said in an earlier post working on your actual poker game but it seems you want to keep talking about bad beats but this isn't going to help you nor can anyone help you with that part, so not sure why you're posting about that? Use your time more efficiently when posting, like posting those hands you're unsure of.

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Enesem im in exactly the same boat as you, bad beat after bad beat, im mentally beat as well now after the last few hours, I thought that id experienced the worst of it but its just relentless. I play at Full Tilt and the site is absolutely destroying me.

I play 5NL. Like you say, ill play perfectly, nice and tight bluffing correctly and reliably, accumulate $3-4 then ill just get ****ed over by someone ive outplayed again and he'll just hit runners and 3 outers. Resulting in me ending up less than the $5 i started with or worse, 1-2 hours later. Its really no wonder people say online poker is rigged.

Today after posting my previous reply I played for about 2 hours.

Got my $5 to $10 in around an hour, then I got dealt aces.

I 3x BB pre-flop, pot size the flop, guy just continuously calls. Then shows a straight hes made on the turn. He started the hand with 97 off-suit. Are you supposed to just shove with Aces or what? The last 9 times ive had aces ive lost 6 times. Seriously

The very next hand I get pocket Queens. Again, 3xBB pot size flop, guys calls pre-flop and the flop. The ****ing turn pairs the board so we both check, then river is a 4. And he shows pocket ****ing 4s. So in 2 hands I get dealt Aces and Queens consecutively and lose both, bear in mind how terrible im running anyway, its just ridiculous.

So again ive lost a buy in when, if you look at percentages I should be 3 buy ins or so up.

Do I just keep playing and take the relentless brutal beating im getting or do I just stop for a day or so and hope my luck changes, what do you suggest guys?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Enesem im in exactly the same boat as you, bad beat after bad beat, im mentally beat as well now after the last few hours, I thought that id experienced the worst of it but its just relentless. I play at Full Tilt and the site is absolutely destroying me.

I play 5NL. Like you say, ill play perfectly, nice and tight bluffing correctly and reliably, accumulate $3-4 then ill just get ****ed over by someone ive outplayed again and he'll just hit runners and 3 outers. Resulting in me ending up less than the $5 i started with or worse, 1-2 hours later. Its really no wonder people say online poker is rigged.

Today after posting my previous reply I played for about 2 hours.

Got my $5 to $10 in around an hour, then I got dealt aces.

I 3x BB pre-flop, pot size the flop, guy just continuously calls. Then shows a straight hes made on the turn. He started the hand with 97 off-suit. Are you supposed to just shove with Aces or what? The last 9 times ive had aces ive lost 6 times. Seriously

The very next hand I get pocket Queens. Again, 3xBB pot size flop, guys calls pre-flop and the flop. The ****ing turn pairs the board so we both check, then river is a 4. And he shows pocket ****ing 4s. So in 2 hands I get dealt Aces and Queens consecutively and lose both, bear in mind how terrible im running anyway, its just ridiculous.

So again ive lost a buy in when, if you look at percentages I should be 3 buy ins or so up.

Do I just keep playing and take the relentless brutal beating im getting or do I just stop for a day or so and hope my luck changes, what do you suggest guys?

You just keep playing, working on your game don't focus on stuff you can't control and put in volume and win, that's it. If you're not winning over a significant sample size, then you're making lots of errors as opposed to thinking your running bad.

If people spent as much time focusing on their game rather than the luck factor in the game which we have no control over, people would improve at a much faster rate.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe Tilt Breaker is good for some guys. It hides the cashier and you can set a limit of buy-ins to loose for a day, session or whatever. I am sure it is good for me and I do not think I tilt that much but I look at the cashier a lot :)

E

enesem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, you're moaning again about bad beats or talking about hands that are beating your on the river. These won't help you improve and I assume that's what you're wanting to do?

Given you have poker tracker and you are wasting your time looking at your luck factor, why not use that time in poker tracker to do something constructive like filter your hands for positions and seeing what errors you're making and plug your leaks rather than looking at how bad you seem to think you run? We can't control our luck factor in poker so it's pointless focusing on that, besides which you haven't even experienced any significant bad runs yet so if it's effecting you already I'd work on your mental game first. It's also going to be much more beneficial as I said in an earlier post working on your actual poker game but it seems you want to keep talking about bad beats but this isn't going to help you nor can anyone help you with that part, so not sure why you're posting about that? Use your time more efficiently when posting, like posting those hands you're unsure of.

My apologies -

The thread seems to have run off from the original question.

Bad beats, bad play, now affecting my game as I am truly struggling with any flop as I find it impossible to work out what's going on.

I am in a strange position, when I knew less about poker, I did better, now I am studying and trying to analyse the game, I seem to be doing worse. i realise it's temporary.

My original question, is what to do when you are not feeling good or on tilt. For example, is there something that you should study or go back to, or just take a break for a while. That's all I meant.

Apologies to all for the negativity, frustration sometimes gets the better of me.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My apologies -

The thread seems to have run off from the original question.

Bad beats, bad play, now affecting my game as I am truly struggling with any flop as I find it impossible to work out what's going on.

I am in a strange position, when I knew less about poker, I did better, now I am studying and trying to analyse the game, I seem to be doing worse. i realise it's temporary.

My original question, is what to do when you are not feeling good or on tilt. For example, is there something that you should study or go back to, or just take a break for a while. That's all I meant.

Apologies to all for the negativity, frustration sometimes gets the better of me.
Take few days off and do what I well you. Review all your big looses, medium looses, big wins. Rethink those hands one by one carefully and think what you could have done better on any of them. If you are unsure about some post them. If experienced members of the forum tell you made a mistake and you have a leak study that area. Filter your tracker and see where else did you made the same mistake. Loosing some days without playing it is not a problem if you fill some gaps.
If you find hands like loosing preflop with AA AI do not post them. Those are bad beats and are part of the game. Money are not important when you are investing them in learning. That is why ppl pay their college for better education. They invest money in their future.
Than when you play again try to recognize the area where you made mistakes in the past and do not make them again.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't get too down, I had a shocking run for about 6 weeks in Nov and Dec and felt like quitting, in fact I felt physically sick. KK v AA all in 7 times in week and then when I got it in AA v KK he hit quads...
Even recently about 6 of my last 8 sets have been all in on the flop and either they had flopped a flush or drew out to a flush or str. However, I am still winning because I do win most hands when I should and I pick up hundreds of small pots to offset the big ones.
The hands to avoid are the stupid ones where you get stacked with just one pair, even if it is tptk if you bet hard on the flop and turn and they are still with you how are often is your single pair hand ahead... not very often. Remember at micro players are mostly just learners who don't know how to bluff. Big bets usually mean what they say on the tin.