Is it worth playing 1/2 cent games?

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree. If they can't beat 2nl, it's going to be worse for them at 10nl. And your reason they shouldn't play 2nl or 4nl is because variance is wayyyy too high?? But they're also going to run into a lot of payoff wizards & some very spewy blindly-aggro types (not to mention many weak players sitting with 40 or 50bb's & others who are choosing to not reload). IMO, if they can't beat 2nl, they're making a big mistake by playing higher.

And $100 isn't enough for someone to start off at 10nl with (not if they're hoping to not deposit again... but if they're open to depositing often, then no problem obviously).

I said "IF" they can beat 1/2 nlhe.....and i also said " get out as soon as possible".

I can beat 50/100 nlhe in a small independant unregulated poker room...SwC..against a mixture of semi-pros, grinders, and 'tourists'...but i can't beat 1/2 nlhe on stars on a reliable basis. I know this as i use my recently won cc freeroll dollars to teach my 9 year old boy how to play.

1/2 nlhe (on the bigger sites especially) is sheer purgatory...designed by the devil to torment the sane into madness...no one should have to play these games unless they have less than $30 bankroll....escape this prison as soon as possible... And yes..i know i have very ' alternative' brm opinions.

One should play the highest stakes one can beat...one only gets better by playing better opponents.

C

chalghaf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you always should play at the stakes you most comfortable with , if you find it boring and could take the risk of a higher stakes , yeah sure go ahead .
but if because you gonna be playing at a higher stakes you gonna change up your game and not play to your best ability cuz of fear of risk maybe you should stick to the current stakes

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,

I need some feedback on whether there is actually any point playing these such small stake games if I am trying to make money off poker.

I deposited $25 and i've only played a few couple of hour sessions and my bankroll is at $26.50. Should I not just try the next highest because I find it really boring at the amount of money I'm winning.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Bankroll management for the poker player, our everything! You should not rush to climb the limits. Several sessions of several hours a very small sample, I recommend that you draw some conclusions after playing 100,000 hands +.

pundim

pundim

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Really god tips here in this post! I always had the same question.

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure. If you only have $50-$100 and aren't crushing those stakes yet, stay there and be comfortable knowing you wont go broke (or go broke quickly). But if you're killin' it, hop on up to 5NL (or 10NL if you can afford 30-50 buy-ins of it). Here's a handy guide to make sure you're playing the limits right for you: https://pokercoaching.com/poker-strategy/the-bankroll-bible/

O

Oksana55

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
These are good skills in playing poker, if you double the pot, you can play higher and higher.

sara maria

sara maria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good guy

We all start from the bottom but if you want to make a living with poker you should play events in which you can enter with a small buy-in, or take advantage of the promotions offered by many rooms, in my case I stumbled a lot and lost a lot in the world of poker , that's called a bad streak, I recommend you participate in contests where you get tickets on social networks so that you can play for a lot of money without compromising your bankroll, good luck at the tables, my friend, God bless you

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, if it is worth it, there are tournaments of $ 0.55 hot and guaranteed bounty and tournaments of $ 0.50 are also obtained that the first one charges about 23 dollars and these tournaments there you can start to level up as long as you know how to handle in the best way and management of your bank.

A

ayewayfilms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing windfall tournaments on sportsbetting.ag little three dinar tournaments that go all the way to 100 dollar... it's three people at a table winner take all... and it's a good way for doubling your money... but try .5/.10 tables to get a feel for the website you are playing on

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It may appear as "not worth" it, all it's the smallest micro age you can play besides "play" chips. So how do you make it "worth"? Use it as a training and practice ground, but me mindful, 2NL are slightly different than 10NL, and quite different than 50NL.. BUT.. if you switch to see your stack as number of BB versus the actual monetary value, you will learn think in BB value, and when you move to the bogger stacks, you will (hopefully) still think in BB versus monetary value, even the BB represent different "amount". It worked for me; before, I play very loose in 2NL games, because after all, how much can I loose? Bu I started looking at the games in term of how much I can learn and practice. Switching from "cash" to BB helped me develop the skill of poker play without the " Ill loose only $2 if I bust" mentality.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It may appear as "not worth" it, all it's the smallest micro age you can play besides "play" chips. So how do you make it "worth"? Use it as a training and practice ground, but me mindful, 2NL are slightly different than 10NL, and quite different than 50NL.. BUT.. if you switch to see your stack as number of BB versus the actual monetary value, you will learn think in BB value, and when you move to the bogger stacks, you will (hopefully) still think in BB versus monetary value, even the BB represent different "amount". It worked for me; before, I play very loose in 2NL games, because after all, how much can I loose? Bu I started looking at the games in term of how much I can learn and practice. Switching from "cash" to BB helped me develop the skill of poker play without the " Ill loose only $2 if I bust" mentality.

Man, this strategy of changing the reference value of the stack to BB is very interesting. Prevents you from falling into the mental trap that you don't have much to ...
I will try to adapt to that.

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it worth playing 1/2 cent games

Its worth it if you can go all in so you can make a little money.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play games that fit in your bankroll and skill set. You can make money at 1c-2c and have fun while learning. Definitely has a place.

oleg8519

oleg8519

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
if you are pursuing the goal of employment and not profit, then yes, it's worth playing otherwise don't even start

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi,

I need some feedback on whether there is actually any point playing these such small stake games if I am trying to make money off poker.

I deposited $25 and i've only played a few couple of hour sessions and my bankroll is at $26.50. Should I not just try the next highest because I find it really boring at the amount of money I'm winning.

Thanks
I don't know what type of game you are playing but at 1/2 Cents I guess it is the Cash games you are playing? For me personally. I try to avoid them as they require a different approach to play them, than Tournament style Poker.
9 player Sit and Goes, and 9 player Bounty Knockouts were my favourite type of game where the top 3 get paid out, It takes a while to increase a small Bankroll but you need to be patient, otherwise moving up in stakes may be a sure way to go bust!
As a rule, I like to stay with smaller buy-ins until I feel comfortable losing larger amounts, in the higher levels, and usually will not buy into any game that is more than 1% of my Bankroll, With only $25.00 that would limit you to a 25 Cent buy-in.
Some players play a 2% game so would increase your buying in level to 50 Cent games, but even then the returns are not so great. It takes time to build up a Bankroll, just like investing money into a Savings Account.
I have never made a deposit on any site and only played freerolls until I won enough to start buying into these 9 player games, but have built Bankrolls on several sites over the years, My pokerstars Bankroll is now well over $600.00 so buying into any game up to $5.00 or $6.00 is not unusual for me, and losing this money does not scare me as much as it would have done, if I had started buying-in with a Smaller Bankroll.
It all boils down to What do you want from playing Poker? if it is making a fast Buck! Then forget it, because it is hard work whichever way you look at it, If like me you want to pass a little free time and have some Fun playing the game then be patient, don't over reach yourself, choose your limits and stick with them.
After all "Rome was not built in a Day"

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i used to play 1c/2c u can run it up it´s kind cool to do it.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This thread is really old, but if you want to play cash games then I think 2NL is a good place to start and then move up once you can beat the games and have a bankroll. Yes you wont make much money, but the point is to improve your skills and win at a good BB/100 rate

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi,

Thanks
In Cash Game you have to observe very carefully the way each one plays because either you can double what you have or lose everything quickly depending on the table you are playing! Play amounts you are not afraid of losing!💰💰

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Oh, some threads are being resurrected! 😂

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friend, this way you must start and then level up, you have to dominate the game at that level and in the long run you will see your results reflected, just as managing the bank roll is very important to be able to level up. I hope I helped you. I also share with you a Bank Roll table to help you level up. Regards 337307

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll definitely tell you it's too early to go higher. Yes, of course it's boring, but you are sure that you have already gained experience to go higher. At the beginning, you will at least double your bankroll so that it would not be so offensive to return back if you lose half the money.

AKShark

AKShark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DK
Chips
Hi,

Thanks
I think you shold stay at 1/2 c for some time, you learn a lot each time, and get experience you need at higher levels. And change your mindset m8, winning 1c at a 1/2c table is kyst as fun as winning one usd at a1/2 usd table :)

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
I love ❤️ my cash games. But it can be a grind. For example. I will sit down at a game and the next two hands I will Double up. And then on the other hand I will be playing for 6 hours. And only break even . And you could lose your buy ins 10 times over and ViceVersa . That’s why you need about 15 buy ins to survive the swings . But if you feel bored 😑 you could try 2/4 cents . Which gives you about 5 buy ins . This will get your heart 💜 pumping but do at your own risk. This is not good bankroll management. But taking a chance is fun. Good luck have fun 🤩.

Top 10 Games