I'm a losing player, help me become a winning one

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just updating HEM. Shoulda done a while back it's quite out of date now. I want to play!

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A pretty awful session, played 6 tables and I spewed a few times which just puts me so far in the red. Didn't feel I ran too great either but the spew is where the losses came from. I'm close to giving up tbh.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A few hands, both for line checks and lol. They seem to be backwards from ones I grabbed last to first:

Just a lol hand, last real one of the session I stopped pretty soon after.

full tilt poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 748765
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

UTG: $0.66
CO: $0.46
BTN: $5.72
Hero (SB): $6.16
BB: $8.05

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with K A
UTG calls $0.05, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, BB raises to $0.45, UTG calls $0.40, Hero raises to $1.75, BB calls $1.30, 1 fold

Flop: ($3.95) 6 9 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

Turn: ($3.95) 4 (2 players)
Hero bets $2.56, BB calls $2.56

River: ($9.07) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets $1.85, BB calls $1.85

Final Pot: $12.77
Hero shows K A
BB shows 6 8
BB wins $11.92
(Rake: $0.85)

CO was a really aggro (45/40/50) player who'd been playing post flop really fast, I felt like TPGK would own him here, obviously not. Maybe shouldn't have stacked.

Full Tilt Poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 748766

CO: $14.70
BTN: $5.12
Hero (SB): $7.38
BB: $4.93
UTG: $2.41

Pre Flop: ($0.05) Hero is SB with Q J
2 folds, CO raises to $0.15, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.45, CO calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.90) 2 Q 9 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, CO raises to $14.25, Hero calls $5.43 all in

Turn: ($14.76) 6 (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($14.76) A (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $14.76
CO shows Q K
Hero shows Q J
CO wins $13.78
(Rake: $0.98)

Guy was playing 90% of his hands and some what aggressively, I thought I was always good after the turn check.

Full Tilt Poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 748767

Hero (SB): $8.73
BB: $11.40
CO: $5.00
BTN: $4.79

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with Q 7
2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, BB raises to $0.35, Hero calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.70) Q 6 J (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.70, Hero calls $0.70

Turn: ($2.10) 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks

River: ($2.10) 5 (2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $2.10, Hero calls $2.10

Final Pot: $6.30
Hero shows Q 7
BB shows K T
Hero wins $5.88
(Rake: $0.42)

I think it played ok but maybe could have got more value? Or is just checking it on that board fine?

Full Tilt Poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 748769

Hero (CO): $5.00
BTN: $4.93
SB: $5.00
BB: $3.63
UTG: $5.03
MP: $1.52

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is CO with T Q
2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.42) 3 8 T (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.30, BB calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.02) 3 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.02) 5 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Final Pot: $1.02
Hero shows T Q
BB mucks J A
Hero wins $0.96
(Rake: $0.06)

Standard river fold?

Full Tilt Poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 748770

Hero (BTN): $6.00
SB: $14.24
BB: $3.82
UTG: $5.00
CO: $4.37

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BTN with A Q
2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45) A 8 T (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.30, SB folds, BB calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.05) 9 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $0.65, BB calls $0.65

River: ($2.35) K (2 players)
BB bets $2.72, Hero folds

Final Pot: $2.35
BB wins $2.20
(Rake: $0.15)

I had no idea what to do after the limp raise OTB and ended up calling. I ended up good but not enough obviously.

Full Tilt Poker $5.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 748771

CO: $5.00
BTN: $3.54
Hero (SB): $5.56
BB: $2.09
UTG: $5.00

Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with J J
2 folds, BTN calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, 1 fold, BTN raises to $0.65, Hero calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.35) T 6 7 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $2.00, Hero raises to $4.91, BTN calls $0.89 all in

Turn: ($7.13) A (2 players - 1 is all in)

River: ($7.13) 4 (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $7.13
BTN shows A T
Hero shows J J
BTN wins $6.66
(Rake: $0.47)

Sigh. Time for some football and then town with some friends. FU poker.

S

Skaplun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
download team viewer and skype, ill sweat you for an hour.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I have dedicated attitude towards position, that is I won't play a hand OOP.

Falling for the half-price discount was a common leak in my play.Dedicate your attitude towards playing position and forget playing in the small blind or at least fold if the BB shows strength.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've gotta go with Stu here.

You're looking at a 5% 3-bet range, and thinking that he's going to fold to a 4-bet once he's committed? Or that we have his range dominated by JJ/TT?

CO was a really aggro (45/40/50) player who'd been playing post flop really fast, I felt like TPGK would own him here, obviously not. Maybe shouldn't have stacked.

TPGK would have owned him...if you had it. You pretty much stacked off with ace high on a board with lots of draws against an opponent who showed strength early. Do you want to play for your stack with ace high?

Guy was playing 90% of his hands and some what aggressively, I thought I was always good after the turn check.

You had top pair on a board that looked ok, but again, this is a situation where you have to ask if you really want to be playing for your stack with TPGK?

I had no idea what to do after the limp raise OTB and ended up calling. I ended up good but not enough obviously.

This one confused me. You called all-ins with way worse situations in other hands, but fold aces with a queen kicker to a smaller bet when a king lands. Probably a little too timid there.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jumping in kinda late with a point regarding JJ vs a 5% 3betting range: It's not profitable to 4bet. I'll keep it short because I want to start my session:

(using 1/2 because I'm most used to that)

He 3bets 5%, but is only willing to play for stacks with QQ+/AK
29*(0.024/0.05)+(0.026/0.05)*(-194*0.64+209*0.36) = -$11.5

We win the dead $29 when he folds the hands that are not QQ+AK, i.e. (2.4% out of the 5%). The other 2.6% of the 5%, we either lose $194 or we win $209 (because I don't think anyone meant to 4bet/fold JJ).

For what it's worth, I fold AK UTG to tight button 3bettors. Not that I play a lot of tight button 3bettors, but when I do, I fold. I almost always bring up the popup to check what their 3bet stat is by position when I make these decisions (if I don't already know) because some people 3bet tons from the blinds but just flat on the button. It's a huge difference.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Btw, if he stacks off with his entire 3betting range (5% ~ TT+/AK/AQ), we're still not making money. We're 46% versus that range. The only way to show a profit from this is if he has a polarized 3betting range and is willing to shove with a lot of his bluffs. But two points against that is that

1) People with polarized 3betting ranges are typically wider than 5% on the button, and
2) if they're good enough to have polarized 3betting ranges, they should know better than to stack off versus UTG 4bets too often.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1, AKo.

Shove the flop.
You're not playing fit or fold (I assume?). Once you 4bet I think you should be prepared to stack.

Hand 2, QJo.

I think you should be playing this to bet most/all streets with any top pair but it seems clear you wanted to play for stacks and that's just way more aggressive than I think you should be. Anyone raising does strengthen a range, even for fish and going in with a J kicker is thin, at best.

Hand 3, Q7s.

Bet-fold pre-flop.
You're OOP, your hand isn't dominating even against any range we can give him.

Not that it matters because I said fold pre-flop, but once you see this flop against a fish you should be betting 100% of the time. You have top pair, he'll call with any pair any draw and some random stuff. Betting is +EV.

Hand 4, QTs.

I think you can get another street of value.
I bet the turn and check the river. Purely because of the number of draws out there I think you've got better equity getting that bet in on the turn than on the river.

Hand 5, AQo.

I hate folding in these spots but yeah, against a fish just give him credit for it.

Hand 6, JJ.

Yeah, limp-raise makes this tough.
I don't like the way you played it because it looks like the only thing you were looking for to be willing to stack was for no overcards to hit, doing this kills your equity (the bottom of his range gets away cheap and the top gets value), I'd rather be willing to stack pre-flop than do this.
My default line because of his stack size is to 4bet to $2 or shove, just whichever is going to get most action.

metsman5872

metsman5872

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If yourIf your really bad just tyr to take a break a once in a while.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 1, AKo.

Shove the flop.
You're not playing fit or fold (I assume?). Once you 4bet I think you should be prepared to stack.

If you're shoving at all, wouldn't you want to do it pre-flop here?

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacks are too deep to 4bet shove.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacks are too deep to 4bet shove.

I also find that 4-bet shoves often get credit as AK too and you start getting called by pairs. At least at this level or over a small sample/anecdotally.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, in this case it's either that or you're looking at a flop full of low cards against a villian whose range is well within the low-card area. In either case he's got himself into an ugly situation.

It's only made worse by the small bets he makes on the turn and river. If you're going to try to take down the pot like that, you've gotta make them believe it. A 45/40 villian is going to be totally content to call a bet that is 1/5th the size of the pot when he's holding a pair of 6's.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
download team viewer and skype, ill sweat you for an hour.

That would be awesome. I'm ready any time tomorrow, or after 6 during the week just let me know but it's England vs USA tonight, come one England!

I'll download teamviewer now. I'm looking forward to it :).

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've gotta go with Stu here.

You're looking at a 5% 3-bet range, and thinking that he's going to fold to a 4-bet once he's committed? Or that we have his range dominated by JJ/TT?

TPGK would have owned him...if you had it. You pretty much stacked off with ace high on a board with lots of draws against an opponent who showed strength early. Do you want to play for your stack with ace high?

Is QJ not TPGK? maybe not. I felt he would bet all his draws (fairly drawy board) a 9 a bad Q and air so I think the c/r was fine, I think I could find a fold against the shove but hsi range felt really wide, maybe I had it wrong. Folding is something I'm working on.

You had top pair on a board that looked ok, but again, this is a situation where you have to ask if you really want to be playing for your stack with TPGK?

This one confused me. You called all-ins with way worse situations in other hands, but fold aces with a queen kicker to a smaller bet when a king lands. Probably a little too timid there. The flush came and I just didn't feel it would be good. This was early in the session so maybe I was playing better lol.

Thanks.

B

Bovinity

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ugh, sorry. I'm dumb. I read the "TPGK" comment as being about the AK hand, not the following hand.

S

Skaplun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my skype is shai.kaplun. friend me or whatever its called on skype

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friended and teamviewer set up, I'll have my new laptop tomorrow though and it's going to be my main computer. Will have to set everything up again on there.

Can't wait for the sweat, I feel good about it but it's going to be tricky timing it. Probably have to do an early morning for me = afternoon for you. Whatever you decide.

Meanwhile I'm gonna put another session. Don't spew Sean, please don't spew.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Success!

Ran okay except for one all-in spot (AJ>AK obv) but relatively variance free for me.

I obviously changed the way I have been playing and my showdown graph is very different. Usually a flat to rising red line with a negative blue one. Whatever makes me the monies though.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Going up the blind buy-ins you lost.Same thing happened to me.At 1/2 cents we win, any higher we lose.Go back to 1/2 and stop defending your blinds so intensely, at 1/2 there is no need.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im just wondering if its worth the ballache of transfering my database to my new laptop....

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Did it recently and I moved ~450K hands in about 3 hours.