I see 39% of flops. Is this too high or low?

H

hellomynameispoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Hi,
I've played mtt for years but am new to cash games. I play online and would like advice. If you can answer the question in my title or give any advice for someone switching to cash games then please reply. Thanks

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi,
I've played mtt for years but am new to cash games. I play online and would like advice. If you can answer the question in my title or give any advice for someone switching to cash games then please reply. Thanks
Hi there hellomynameispoker.
If you are seeing flops 39% of times this means that: either you are opening too much (raising or limping into the pot) and also calling too much.
It’s hard to be a winning player seeing flops so often, the rake is very salty and you will end up losing more than you could win.
Try not to call out of position and limp into the pot, this is a great start. If you think you have the best hand raise preflop.
Know the odds before entering a pot, so you won’t have to pay for seeing and then fold.

H

hellomynameispoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
If you are seeing flops 39% of times this means that: either you are opening too much (raising or limping into the pot) and also calling too much.
It’s hard to be a winning player seeing flops so often, the rake is very salty and you will end up losing more than you could win.
Try not to call out of position and limp into the pot, this is a great start. If you think you have the best hand raise preflop.
Know the odds before entering a pot, so you won’t have to pay for seeing and then fold.
Hey,
Thanks very much for your reply. This helps a lot. Do you have any other advice for me switching to cash games? I am currently playing the lowest stakes as my bankroll is 50 dollars.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey,
Thanks very much for your reply. This helps a lot. Do you have any other advice for me switching to cash games? I am currently playing the lowest stakes as my bankroll is 50 dollars.
Forget a lot of things about tournaments, for we are playing big stack strategy: we must go to the table having 100 blinds effective stack and set the option to auto top up chips.
The basic is to avoid to play out of position and play more in position.
Also, it’s good to have a range that fits your own style of playing. I would recommend to play tight, opening 15% range most of times and avoiding hard spots:
For example, UTG opens 3x and CO 3-bets to 9x, let’s suppose both players are tight. We are sitting in the Big Blind with TT what is the best move? To fold, because we cannot call here and wait for UTG to decide, but hey, this is just a simple example.
Avoid to call from the blinds with hands that seem to be good, such as suited cards or connectors, suited or not.
I said that a lot of times here in the forum and I will say it again: the objective of cash games is to play in position versus weaker opponents. You will have to identify which players are better and worst than you and try to play versus those you have certainty that they are weak.
One more thing: we must find ways to be stealing blinds and this will happen when we are sitting in CO, BU, SB and BB. But if we try to steal blinds too often, players will notice and 3-bet the hell out of us, so pick a good range to steal and choose tables where you will have tight/NIT players, with a high percentage of fold vs steal, setting by your left side of the table, and loose passive players sitting at your right side of the table.

Summarizing:

1) Play in position versus weaker opponents

2) Avoid calling/limping into the pot

3) Try to steal the blinds when you see you have the chance for so doing

4) Play your hands more aggressively than passively, for aggression gives you initiative upon the hand and upon the pot.

5) Choose a table where you will have tight players in your left and loose passive at your right.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
39% of flops is way to much. When you consider the hand you win if you raise your playing well over 40% of hand and probably 50%. You are playing to many junk hands and most likely many from early position too.

Listen to what aballinamion said above. He is dead on point with his advice.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's too much for 8-9 table, even for 6 player table it's too much.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I can say you're probably like I'm a strong player, if so, that's okay because if you are sure that you will win or outplay your opponent on the flop turn and river, then it's good to collect chips from weak players but against strong players or players who understand at least an average understanding of the game in poker, it's hard to beat them but still try to defeat them quickly to the river and then this is normal, and if you are a weak player, it's better to reduce the risk and play tight

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Way too high, as if you see 39% flops you are VPIPing even higher than that, perhaps 50% or so. Players with a vpip that high are what regs look for when table selecting!

Follow some preflop charts, as you must be playing bad hands that are unprofitable

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, good advice. To play in plus at a distance, this figure should be about 2 times less.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that is a fairly high value. I mean, you're seeing the flop about 1 in 2 and 1/2 times. That leads to you coming in with a lot of speculative hands and ending up folding too many times on the flop, when your cards don't connect with the community cards.
Try to refine your range a bit more so that you can see 15-20% of the flops. Regarding the tips for playing cash games, they already gave you main tips.
I would add that each table is unique, whether in the number of weak or strong players, types of opponents, etc. So if you plan to play cash games, focus a lot on the choice of your opponents. And do not apply a standard or automatic game, since you do not have much experience in cashunless your intention is to apply a lot of game volume or grind a certain stake. If your intention is to play a lot of volume, understand the core aspects of the game and add more tables as you feel more confident with the opponents you are competing with.
Greetings.

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are playing way too many hands. You want to bring down your VPIP to around 20%.

SL-247

SL-247

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Forget a lot of things about tournaments, for we are playing big stack strategy: we must go to the table having 100 blinds effective stack and set the option to auto top up chips.
The basic is to avoid to play out of position and play more in position.
Also, it's good to have a range that fits your own style of playing. I would recommend to play tight, opening 15% range most of times and avoid hard spots:
For example, UTG opens 3x and CO 3-bets to 9x, let's suppose both players are tight. We are sitting in the Big Blind with TT what is the best move? To fold, because we cannot call here and wait for UTG to decide, but hey, this is just a simple example.
Avoid to call from the blinds with hands that see to be good, such as suited cards or connectors, suited or not.
I've talked about this many times on the forum and I'll say it again: the goal of cash games is to play against weaker opponents. You'll need to determine which players are better and who are worse than you, and try to play against those you think are weaker.
And one more thing: we have to find ways to steal blinds, and this will happen when we're sitting on CO, BU, SB, and BB. But if we try to steal the blinds too often, players will notice and 3-beat the hell out of us, so pick a good styling range and choose tables where you'll have tight/thread players, with a high percentage of folds against styles, sitting on your left, and loose-passive players sitting on your right.

Summarizing:

1) Play in position against weaker opponents

2) Avoid calling or limping the bank

3) Try to steal the blinds when you see that you have a chance to do so.

4) Play your hands more aggressively than passively, as aggression gives you the initiative in the hand and in the pot.

5) Choose a table where you will have tight players on the left and loose-passive players on the right.
That's very wise advice. It is immediately obvious that you are an experienced player.

H

hellomynameispoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Thanks everyone. I will definitely take your advice into account.

DarkFore5t

DarkFore5t

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
In the enchanting realm of Pokeria, there lived a magical player named Aurora. Her 39% flop rate sparked curiosity among the mystical creatures of the land. Seeking answers, she embarked on a quest to meet the enigmatic Wizard of Probability. Through the Enchanted Forest and across the Treacherous Mountains, she finally reached the Wizard's tower. "Ah, Aurora," said the Wizard, his eyes gleaming with wisdom. "Your 39% is like a mystical potion. It grants you versatility, a touch of daring, and a dash of prudence. Just as a unicorn balances grace and strength, you too must find equilibrium in your play. Embrace the magic within, trust your instincts, and may the cards forever dance in your favor." With newfound enchantment, Aurora returned to the poker tables, her 39% guiding her towards victory, leaving a trail of awe and wonder in her wake.

Kerasuss28

Kerasuss28

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
39% is a lot of flops ,but it can also be profitable, you can better do short Sessions of 1h and observe it what you have done , than you have the right answer to your question about it 🍀🍀🍀👍good luck

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In the enchanting realm of Pokeria, there lived a magical player named Aurora. Her 39% flop rate sparked curiosity among the mystical creatures of the land. Seeking answers, she embarked on a quest to meet the enigmatic Wizard of Probability. Through the Enchanted Forest and across the Treacherous Mountains, she finally reached the Wizard's tower. "Ah, Aurora," said the Wizard, his eyes gleaming with wisdom. "Your 39% is like a mystical potion. It grants you versatility, a touch of daring, and a dash of prudence. Just as a unicorn balances grace and strength, you too must find equilibrium in your play. Embrace the magic within, trust your instincts, and may the cards forever dance in your favor." With newfound enchantment, Aurora returned to the poker tables, her 39% guiding her towards victory, leaving a trail of awe and wonder in her wake.
Lol 😆
You are good telling stories, please let them coming!

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi,
The cash gamer brings you fast money and in the same proportion takes you fast money.
The big advantage is that you don't need to play for 3 hours to win any value, but the situation to lose big is the same or even worse.
I particularly like tournaments better, because if I don't have a lucky day, the loss is just the value of the tournament, but if things don't go well, I lose between 3 and 6 times the value of a tournament in a few minutes

franciscomos

franciscomos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with this comment, if you say that you see 39% of the flops it means that you're going into 4 hands of 10 and at the beginning of a tournament it is too much, bit if you're at the middle-end of the tournament and you have a lot of chips you could take more risk because the other players with less chips will prefer to not take the risk

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I agree with this comment, if you say that you see 39% of the flops it means that you're going into 4 hands of 10 and at the beginning of a tournament it is too much, bit if you're at the middle-end of the tournament and you have a lot of chips you could take more risk because the other players with less chips will prefer to not take the risk
Neat. Thanks for your observation. However this is a cash thread 🧵 😆
I’m sucker when it comes to tournaments. Know nothing about it and play it like a fish.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think you are playing loose (if 39% is based on a lot of hands played). Sometimes we end up with a high VPIP on the basis of 100 hands, it can happen during a period of good run.

There is another situation where it is acceptable to have such a VPIP, it is when there are many weak players and that one needs to see several flop in order to monetize.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon friend, I think the ideal would be between 10% and 15% of the hands that can vary from tournament to tournament