How to utilize "Small Stakes Hold Em'" concepts/theories in NLHE ring games...

• Thread starter gottabesomebodysblues
  • Start date
gottabesomebodysblues

gottabesomebodysblues

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How to utilize "Small Stakes Hold Em'" concepts/theories in NLHE ring games...

Hey guys.

First time poster, not really a long time reader but this forum has awesome stuff in it i gotta say. Finally realised I'd love to contribute somehow and maybe even learn... so here goes.

If you've read through SSHE, how have you used the low-limit theories and ideas in a full NLHE ring game? If so, what was the most effective and why?

Obviously there are the obvious ideas like hand categories, odds, EV etc. But for me i found the Evaluating the Flop ideas very interesting, especially the part in which you use an aggressive low-limit play on the flop to dictate a possible free turn card(if you haven't hit yet) when you have a solid/strong drawing hand. How often would a play like this actually work in a NLHE ring game for you guys?

Sweet thanks!

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read SSH and it is a great book, but I would not recommend trying to use it as the basis of a NL game. They really are worlds apart.

Some of the ideas in SSH are general to all forms of poker, some do cross over to NL but many are limit specific.

If you are just starting out I would recommend that you get a NL book and start with that.

Professional No-limit Holdem by Ed Miller
&
Harrington on Cash by Dan Harrington

Would be my first choices. They are by no means beginners books, but they are written with the game on NL in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As StuUnger said, this is probably the wrong way to go and should just pick up NL books. The games are so different that specific plays just don't translate well. Hand categories differ due to implied odds. I guess the free card play would work if you c-bet the flop in position on a draw. However, most of the time you're just betting for value.

However, certain concepts definitely are applicable to both with the most important one being implied odds (my opinion). This is much harder to calculate in NL because bet sizes vary. However, the concept is the same as FL and knowing how much your opponent would reasonably call if you hit allows you to calculate whether calling on a draw would be profitable or not.

Top 10 Games