How to play AK preflop facing a 3bet?

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should only call the 3-bet, since constructing a big pot here can lead to a hard post flop game, as the bets should be bigger and will probably compromite your stack, even with AK. This hand is strong but not easy to play, cause it's a drawing hand, so be careful when making moves with AK, especially on microstakes where people make horrible plays.

B

BrianM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that whenever I play this type of hand aggressive, I get screwed on the flop. But sometimes it connects, trips or two pair please!

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Experience has taught me not to be a huge fan of AK. Granted is about as good as it gets preflop, but that's only 3 cards away. I would have bet 3x and would simply call the same.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Facing a 3bet when OOP can be a tough spot, even when holding AK. Either you just call and miss the flop 2/3 of the time, or you 4bet, get called, and still miss the flop 2/3 of the time. After 4betting the AK you might try to fire a cbet when you miss, only to get called, and be out of position on the turn, in a miserable spot (unless you improved).

So when you get 3bet and you have AK; how often should you call, and how often should you 4bet? Does it depend on the opponent? It's how to play it at the microstakes I'm interested in.

You said it yourself. It mainly depends on the opponent. If you face a 3-bet vs someone you know is ONLY doing it with Aces (extreme scenario but possible) you can just fold it preflop.

Now in a vacuum state you have two choices. You can 4 bet and hope that they don't jam or you can call and play some poker.

R

ryyyga

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I miss on the flop with AK I typically check raise the flop. So say the pot is about 845 and I check for the villain to bet say 623, i'll 3-bet to 1975 or so and if I get shoved on I'm typically losing to a pocket pair so I'll just give up after that. At micro-stakes a lot of people panic when they get check raised or when being 3/4-bet. Hope that helps!

Just noticed this was under Cash Games, I was referring to how I play it in tourneys, my apologies! Although same principle typically applies

Last edited:
okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Short stacked, go for it, but do you want to gamble 100+ Big Blinds on AK?

M

myuk1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I understand it, AK suited in the 3rd best hand you can have preflop. You say that 2/3 of the time you dont hit the flop. Well, how are those odds for your opponent? Since you are out of position its good to try to put pressure on your opponent where you can.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would probably call and see if you make top pair on the flop, many players will ship it with AK facing a 3-bet and they will be likely facing a flip if they are called.

I prefer not to take such a big risk although I completely see how this strategy is preferred by other players.

D

Dani_California

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having the same problem. I just don't know what to do. I'm playing only NL5 and there it feels like it's a suicide to call a 3bet with A-K. I have run into AA/KK too many times in that situation.

The problem is that even if I would hit that top pair with A after calling a 3bet, I can't know for sure if my opponent now has that AA or another set that beats me or is he just making continuation bet after the flop with anything trying to scare me. And after all, I would only have one pair and that is rarely good enough to risk my whole stack. Even hitting two pairs with A-K scares me after 3bet since I still lose to AA or KK.

At those stakes, facing a 3bet means that about 80% of the time (just my own experience) my own 4bet will be raised all-in and I am not comfortable to call all-in with only A-K unless my opponent is short-stacked or has being really loose. For me, that is one of that hardest situations and I usually make the mistake of just folding A-K if I face a 3bet and wait for a better opportunity. I know that is a mistake, but I really don't know what to do after the flop...

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having the same problem. I just don't know what to do. I'm playing only NL5 and there it feels like it's a suicide to call a 3bet with A-K. I have run into AA/KK too many times in that situation.

The problem is that even if I would hit that top pair with A after calling a 3bet, I can't know for sure if my opponent now has that AA or another set that beats me or is he just making continuation bet after the flop with anything trying to scare me. And after all, I would only have one pair and that is rarely good enough to risk my whole stack. Even hitting two pairs with A-K scares me after 3bet since I still lose to AA or KK.

At those stakes, facing a 3bet means that about 80% of the time (just my own experience) my own 4bet will be raised all-in and I am not comfortable to call all-in with only A-K unless my opponent is short-stacked or has being really loose. For me, that is one of that hardest situations and I usually make the mistake of just folding A-K if I face a 3bet and wait for a better opportunity. I know that is a mistake, but I really don't know what to do after the flop...

I agree, AK is one of the toughest hands to play at 5nl.

Good opportunities for 4betting AK come up against opponents that 3bet a lot (a HUD will help you with that) or 4betting after someone in the blinds tries to resteal your SB, Button or Cutoff open.
In other situations 4betting can be very tough. Against QQ and JJ you either get no value when you actually hit the flop, or can't bluff them off when you miss. Against AA and KK you are obviously getting your money in very bad. AK vs. AK it's whoever plays AK the strongest that will win most often, and I guess then it makes sense like a lot of people say to play AK very aggressively preflop.

Folding AK doesn't have to be wrong every time preflop. OOP and against a nit I would lean towards a fold to the 3bet most of the time. In other spots it gets very tough to decide what to do, which is why mastering AK play would be beneficial.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll generally 4-bet this hand pre flop. Why? Because if I flat call a raise or re-raise I don't know where I'm at. If I 4-bet and they shove all in on me and we're deep I might consider a fold because now I know they likely have AA or KK. Sure some maniacs will shove over a 4-bet with like AQ or JJ but in most cases if the villain shoves on you after a 4-bet I can reasonably assume they have AA or KK and might consider a fold. If they flat call my 4-bet and we go to the flop it depends. If I miss the flop and they check I might C-bet. If they call that and the turn isn't scary and I still miss, I might check/check hoping to spike the river. On river if I miss it depends on the villain, if they check and I'm sure they're weak here and have located the fold button, I'll bluff. If not I might just check/check and either win with A high on a missed draw or lose to a smaller pair.

This is in cash games. In tournaments I'm shoving all in with AK if raised pre flop if I'm short or if I'm deep and the villain is super short. If I'm deep and miss the flop, I'll consider a fold to an aggressive raise in an tournament.

L

Lilbrown92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm short then I would not 4bet because it is very probable that some of those 3 players that have raised have very good hands. If my stack is much higher than those 3 players then I would definitely call and see the flop as it could be an opportunity to add more chips to my stack without risking my wholes stack.

M

Maydayncs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it depends on the player, if they generally don't play aggressive I'll 4bet around 3-3.5x their bet and see what they do. If they play overly aggressive I'll generally shove it in.

The reason I would 4bet instead of shove is if a tight or passive player 5bets or shoves back at you, it's a lot easier to see where you stand in terms of your hand.

The reason I shove against loose, super aggressive players is they can easily 3bet junk along with good or monster hands Sure, you'll occasionally have to flip a coin or catch up, but at the micros I see a LOT of 3betting with low aces, any broadways, j10s, even 3bets with nothing because they randomly decided you were bluffing.

E

EvE2K

The decision in this situation depends on what kind of player do you face. If you know who plays against you, you can move all-in or reraise him, if this is a donk. If this is a very careful player, who plays only strong hands, you can fold. But for me in any situation it,s a reraise or All-in. I think i can,t fold AK and i guess most of the times your opponent will have nothing.

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you just have to fold AK.
Many factors affect it. It is impossible always definitely to play...

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate folding it, love playing it! As Kevin Martin says "I call AK The Church, cause I have soooo much faith in it!"

Dorugremon

Dorugremon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very often?? Your chance is huge against all hands except AA/KK..

No you don't. You're still a dog if you're up against any pocket pair, even deuces. You win nothing unless you suck out.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com

Equity Win Tie
MP2 43.24% 43.03% 0.21% { AdKh }
MP3 56.76% 56.55% 0.21% { QhQc }

Equity Win Tie
MP2 46.96% 46.67% 0.29% { AdKh }
MP3 53.04% 52.75% 0.29% { 2s2c }

Equity Win Tie
MP2 47.89% 47.70% 0.18% { AdKd }
MP3 52.11% 51.93% 0.18% { 6s6c }

8emaragas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very often after an all in preflop with AK nothing comes up.. stopped to put 4bet and exhibit.. Try to make call and see the flop.. don't rush, play slowly. Good luck;)
This is a very good suggestion but few actually react like this!Most of the people with this hand will go all in against a 3bet.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If it's early in a tournament I want to see flop before doing any other move , so I would call and then I will decide depending on the flop texture . Maybe then donk bet on the flop depending on the opponent if he's weak or check raise if I have it , if not maybe check call to see turn and his next actions and then fold if I don't have it .
Definetely 4 bet all in is most of the times for later stages for me , especially when I am low blinded and I am close to shove fold mode , or if I have big stack , but it all has to do for me with stack sizes , blinds level , spr , the opponent (plus if someone else has also called and is in the hand ) . I am trying to learn some more moves with 3 bet / bet :)

Narciso

Narciso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game of AK game always aggressive, the best thing to do is a high Raise! AK is one of the most cost-effective, it's worth risking!

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a 3 bet I like to see a flop because I know I'm up against QQ, KK AA or AK ranges 90% of the time. Making the call lets you re-evaluate where you stand and then you can make the right read on that player.:D

J

javier gomez

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK

frente a un 3bet es de cuidado ya que si nos encontramos con par en mano alto de nuestro oponente estaríamos por de bajo.es mejor jugarlo con cautela.

lourivalveras

lourivalveras

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest problem of AK is that isn't a pair. Any pocket pair in hand cold easily dominate de structure of the table if no AK shows up, for exemple the appearance of a three of a kind wold make your poop in the pants. As Long you play freerool, this particular hand, AK, turns out to work well play agro all win mode.

R

romer533

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are at the UTG position, you better pass)