How Much to bet on a semi-bluff?

R

ROCKSOLIDBLUF

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With your hand I would try a bigger bet to get the pot, and move on to the next hand...Maybe $1.50 or so...I think that would give you the pot!

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you're a little confused the negative aspect of your play here is opening with 9Ts UTG. After you flop the big draw, I'm willing to get it all-in if possible. Since you're first to act with 4 others in the pot, I think a check, with the plan to raise when someone bets, best accomplishes that goal.

M

markpro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the response. Yes, odd that I posted the result. But it's not really a results-oriented question. I'm interested in how more experienced players see the situation.

My idea in the pre-flop raise was that I had a decent drawing hand and wanted to build the pot in case I hit. I was happy with the flop and really just want to know how to size a semi-bluff.

Lisen glworden... you have an outside straight and 1 card to a flush... so in total you have 16 cards in the deck that can give you want you want... there are 47 cards not revealed to you at the flop... so the odds would be 16/47 on the turn and 16 out of 46 on the river... lets just assume its 32 over 47 even though its very slightly bigger... you are a huge favorite!! more than 66%!! plus i doubt the person had a jack so you could also count the 6 cards that would give you a pair, giving you 44 out of 47!! come on... thats ninety something % chance to get something! right now ur not semi bluffing, your raising to build the pot as you said, so we have that straight. Now.. you would usually raise that amount, the 1.50, in order to test out your opponents hand, but in this case its probably usless cause youll beat it if you make one of those good hands almost for sure, so what you want is to either build the pot a bit, or slow play. I would suggest slow playing cause a lot of the times the button tries to take a shot at the pot. If so then you can call to set up for a bigger move, or reraise; this depends on who your playing... i wouldnt raise the flop since the previous choice sounds easier, but depending on who you are playing you can decide for yourself... if its someone who always calls then sure do it! you want them to call. and you can put another raise on the turn even if you dont catch it! cause on the river if you do catch, your opponent wont really know hwa tyou have, probably thinking a fair or good pair, and if he has anything to compete against that, youll take his money for sure :).

Tomthebomb

Tomthebomb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you are fine in this situation.

In Consideration that you are pot betting.
Most cases you will get a good read from this bet, and the possibility that you could take the pot is always good.

I would not choose to do this unless you're well updated on your players, and you're getting some tale tell sign of weakness not only in this hand, but possibly for a large period of hands.

If you get the lucky pot, sweet. But in most online poker hands I would just check!

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy to say

If you play your draws differently than AA then you are giving away too much information.

Good point, but easy to say, hard to do. And I'm not sure the advice is entirely valid. I posted the question as a semi-bluff situation but have been educated as to the strength of the hand. But let's say I do have a draw that's not quite as strong, or even have pure crap but want to bluff here. Would you really play that the same as AA? I agree with you that disguising your play through consistent opening bets is important, but after a re-raise things change.

You are right. Bluff or monster - don't give away info.

But if there's a big re-raise, I'm not going to ride a failed bluff to my demise, whereas I would likely come back strong with AA, hoping there is no set or 2Pair. I don't think this contradicts what you're saying though.

Double-A

Double-A

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point, but easy to say, hard to do. And I'm not sure the advice is entirely valid. I posted the question as a semi-bluff situation but have been educated as to the strength of the hand. But let's say I do have a draw that's not quite as strong, or even have pure crap but want to bluff here. Would you really play that the same as AA? I agree with you that disguising your play through consistent opening bets is important, but after a re-raise things change.

You are right. Bluff or monster - don't give away info.

But if there's a big re-raise, I'm not going to ride a failed bluff to my demise, whereas I would likely come back strong with AA, hoping there is no set or 2Pair. I don't think this contradicts what you're saying though.

If you size your bets based on the strength of your hand then your observant opponents will be able to exploit you.

iamays

iamays

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a bad play if you're table image is unpredictable, but at a loose table I'm not sure if I would even play T9o under the gun. With a straight and a flush draw and the action to me, I might bet a third of the pot hoping no one would reraise.