Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Does that make sense aganist oponents?

For example, from time to time I see a situation like this:

Loose mini raise from MP

CO Calls, and SB completes, so theres 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 BBs (Hero)

So I need basically just to put another blind to see the flop.

1BB giving me 7/1 odds.

Is this situation should I be playing any two cards?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

canbora

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I imagine you're going to hear multiple schools of thought on this.

And it's funny because I'm doing a training session right now with a GTO solver and they want you to just roll over if you don't have the cards. I literally just had a situation where there was a min raise, two other people called it, and I was in the big blind with ace four suited. I obviously elected to call and it says that was wrong. It did this several more times with several other hands like for instance 10/8 suited. 10/8 suited is strong enough that if the action folds to you you can raise in the hijack with that if you elect. Definitely by the cutoff. But I can't call one bet to win 7?? Lol wtf?

But if you were to ask me what I think. Yeah call every single time. I've played enough and I've made it a lot enough mistakes and seeing enough things happen that I've made a promise to myself that if I ever get odds the call, and I have the chips, I'm making the call. So obviously if I'm in the late stages of an MTT and I don't have the chips then I'll fold. But as long as the chips are there, and most especially in a cash game. If I get odds I'm calling.

The only thing is you need to play smart. Because there's a lot more opportunities for other people to hit monsters. So be careful if you only hit mildly. In these situations were looking to either have checked Downs or low bets for our mild to moderate hits like pairs... Or we're looking to hit an absolute monster and take everybody down. No in between. Don't be like donk betting on a pair of eights or a pair of tens with a weak kicker when there's like three or four or five other people in the pot. We have showdown value with our top or middle pair.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Play any hand that can realise 12.5% equity out of position v 4 opponents.

I would call alot but still fold junk like Q3o, 95o etc.

Also dont forget to squeeze your best hands, or decent blocker hands as this is a good spot to take it down pre.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Loose mini raise from MP

1BB giving me 7/1 odds.

I for sure understand the dilemma and often it would seem like I good idea considering the odds however consider this....

1. The image of yourself to the other players.

2. The situations you potentially will get into because you connect with some of the board. An example of this would be hitting top pair with a kicker that isn't worth considering. Or pair and straight draw combos where making your straight potentially only makes your hand worse.

3. Connected to my second point.... The cost getting involved to only have to fold because your hand was weak to begin with and is only marginal as the streets evolve. It baffles me the way poker play is advertised and suggested, especially GTO nonsense.... The easiest of players to stack aside from the easily tricked donkeys.

There are times you will flop absolute monsters, but as a rule to thumb in my opinion you only want to be any two cards calling when your against just one of maximum two villains as at the end of the day calling a small raise against a nit who generally only raises with premium holding will provide far bigger gains when it's flips out of their range. Q6o is a monster on a 682 board against AK through to say JTs lol.... Knowing your villian also helps 😉

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Loose mini raise from MP

1BB giving me 7/1 odds.

Nope. We must avoid entering pots from the blinds because we must pay the rake.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes I don't follow logic, for the simple fact that I like to take risks, that's why I have a greater margin of error, I always say, do your game, others say, follow your intuition, what's best will be your decision, good luck

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think you are referring to a multiway pot where you are in BB and have a garbage hand.
If it comes like you say, I'll at least play it.
You have to put only 1 bb for a pot that already has 7 bb, that is, you have to invest 13% of the pot to see a flop, it is extremely profitable.
Example. You have a 42o and you have a 7bb pot where you have to put 1bb to see a flop that whoever tells you is a 442 or an A53 or a 22Q where one of your opponents has an AQ and almost certainly your hand will end in all in or you can get a straight draw for example a 35J flop where your opponent has AJ and makes a bet and you call him and on the turn an A comes out where he gives you a straight and your opponent gives a pair double, this hand ends all in.
Never underestimate a hand, always remember that the great Doyle Brundson won 2 wsop bracelets with 102s so anything is possible.
Greetings:):):)

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If you do it all the time, you'll lose a lot at distances, especially if it happens in the late stages of a tournament where the blinds are no longer small, it's better not to do it and play medium or good maps to at least collect something on the flop and keep playing

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think the answer really depends on your opponents.... there are certain opponents in cash games I want to play hands with so I'm likely calling that 1BB with a large variety of hands to put it mildly, other opponents I know better than to waste even 1BB on absolute garbage👍

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Online with good odds you can call and you will be rewarded a lot . I see that with many '"players"" out there . What hands are good enough for specific pot odds to call and see the flip ?? I am not sure , but other players are and do call at these times to see a flop with many players in . Others call shoves with many players when pot odds are good , even with cr** hands . Some players are very experienced with RNG , they can give you a bad beat 24/7

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It all depends on the situation, everyone decides for themselves, poker is unpredictable.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips

Loose mini raise from MP

1BB giving me 7/1 odds.

It’s good you recognize the sweet pot odds you got here. Your call getting 7-1 means you have to be right to call here 12.5%. So we need a hand that can win here 12.5% of the time. That’s going to be your problem. We are OOP against the RFI and that caller. There is no way this hand is getting checked all the way down to showdown. So if doesn’t get checked down to showdown you will not be getting those good pots odds anymore. So you need to be creative to win this hand when you miss and that’s going to be a big challenge. That one blind could coast you way more later in this hand. But if you call getting 7-1 and your two randoms hit a full house, well that’s just fun!! Good luck!

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
if the raise is minimal or 3bb, I will almost always protect my BB. Seeing the flop is like seeing the sunrise, and we'll figure out what it brings later.
good luck at the tables)))

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Each table is a different case. Cash ou tourney as well.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator