free roll tournament strategy

chicksbeach

chicksbeach

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In these freerolls, alot depends on the table you were sat at. If its a very aggressive table, sit back and watch half your table go home early. But, if it's a passive table and only a few are calling each hand, get in and do some damage. In other words, if it's an over agressive table, read the goofs who are calling all in every hand. You can learn alot in these freerolls in the first 10 minutes of play.

I

impressthekid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanx dude i kno its so hard even though its free money i still cant play but i am going to try what you said and see how it works i kinda did that one time to see what i would do at paradise and i got 92nd out of 4000 so i thought i did pretty well even thought you had to get 50th and lower to make it to the wsop finals but its all good.

lopsdy

lopsdy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well tonight is my first free roll and I will let you know which way I went and what happened.

sorcerer_

sorcerer_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play tight from the start, because I don't like loosing after an half hour for a stupid bet ... and this works fine for me

In the lat two cardschat tourneys that I played I came 2nd ant 6th ... so, in my mind, there's not doubt about it

S

smilerkyle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am a cheap little poker player and look for freerolls constantly.
thanks to spindoct for telling me about absolutepoker and the free money they give away there :)

doesnt look like lopsdy came back to let us know how his/her freeroll went.
maybe hes driving around in his winnings haha ;)

Last edited:
H

hayden1009

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
free roll

I try to avoid the first hand in ub .......someone always goes all in ...and if you chase them they kill you with a bad beat ....also ....I have found that if you sit out for the first half hour ...more then half the field is gone ....and they are the rammer jammers

lopsdy

lopsdy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well my first tourney was great. You guys are the champs. I followed a lot of your advise and made it to the final table. Second largest stack. First to go, but 8th place out of 71. I found the isehole who is "all in every hand". I found the more conservative I played the more I saved. I found the right times to call on their allins and won them EVERY TIME. I'm new to cardschat.com but I'm hooked. You all know what is up.
Maybe I'll beat you all at noble. Just kidding. Thanks guys you really helped my online play in the fast and furious freeroll lifestyle.

S

scotty2hoty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My Freeroll statagy is stay tight in the begging when the players go crazy and then make moves when half of the feild is gone

I also like to keep in mind that the blinds are never big in freerolls

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wait the first hour out on freerolls. The idiot feeding frenzy is usually over by then and then you play your game.

schavin

schavin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lovin Freerolls

I'm gonna give the strategy a try and see what comes up. Its not far off how I play the first half hour. Most of the time its fun and can get exciting in the later hands noticing how the play changes. I think Im gonna just sit one out and see where I place my guess is in the top 45%. I will let you know.

K

kozlo6pack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am ready to play in this freeroll, I am planning on watching you all play to pick up some strategy for playing poker. I have read most of the posts here and hopefully learned from you. :)
Trish

A

allin1090

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy for freerolls is to play big hands agressively, but for the most part stay patient and wait until after the first hour.

B

brnsturg sux

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds good

that sounds pretty good but what if the strategy fails?

lightning36

lightning36

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am trying out different methods now. Tried playing tight on UB tonight. Got killed twice with QQ. Same guy had AA both times. Hmmm... Last hand was peppered with A and K. Random number generaor???

RivRidr4Life

RivRidr4Life

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WELL ME AT UB POCKET ACE'S AND WHAT HAPPEN ??
BAD CONNECTION DELAY SO DROP MY HAND .. I WAS PIS
BUT THE BEST HAND IN POKER IS THE WINNING ONE...SO IM A RIVER RIDER 4 LIFE
I HATE RIVER RATS.. RATS CHASE TO THE RIVER BUT RIDER LIKE ME DONT NEED IT ALREADY HAVE A PLAYBLE HAND....

P

PakoToons

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Spindoct speaks duh truth!!!!!

Totally agree with his advice. Have been playing that way for a few months now, and have been finishing higher & higher each time - with several in the money.

......now if I can only figure out how to get around the "bonus" money thing and get my some of that freeroll money. Some sites - like Absolute - give it to you directly.

Anyone have a list as to which sites pay directly - instead of making you have raked hands??

~Pako

H

hustle16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it 'Tight'

I play tight for the first hour to get rid of all the absolute sausages who just chuck allin on something like a K-3, i only tend to play AA,KK,QQ and AK, until half of the group has gone then i open it up to AA to hands like QJ, when the blinds are bigger, i go into my steal mode where i will wait my time after close assements of players and raise an allin with a K or an A in my hand!

M

MBHall

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
FreerollStrategy

As a frequenter of freeroll tournaments, I think it is easy to say that the first hour of play is much more aggressive, and it is even NECESSARY to win those early junk hands. Gaining 15000 chips early to sit on and protect you from blinds early on is VERY important in freerolls, and this information you provided will make me a much better freeroll player.

miked77

miked77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mainly rely on freeroll tournaments online. So many players i have seen that play it way too seriously. In a freeroll, people are allowed to gamble. This upsets other players but works great.

On occaision.

onebigblue

onebigblue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i let the cards tell me what 2 do after the first 100 people in a tourney you have 2 have a lot of luck 2 win .
i ll start loosebut wont usually go all in unless i have one of the top 2 or 3 hands. then i ll take a shot . just cause u have aa in the hole doesnt mean u win all in before the flop and their is always 1 or 2 out of 9 that will go all in with almost anything when it doesnt cost them

Z

zeta056

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you need 15 QUALITY posts... as for the free roll tourneys... majority of the field will almost always get eliminated during the first hour... this is the time to sit back and relax or to be apart of many hands that you can limp in cheaply for... evetually you catch the big hands and win big but in the mean time... wait for everyone to knock themselves out while you sit down and relax

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
miked77 said:
I mainly rely on freeroll tournaments online. So many players i have seen that play it way too seriously. In a freeroll, people are allowed to gamble. This upsets other players but works great.

On occaision.
Yes you are allowed to gamble but learn the concept of the game before you do. You aren't gambling with anything cause it isn't yours so you don't care. You can take time to play freerolls but can't take 30 minutes to read up on the concepts of the game.

:)

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually in freeroll someone is bound to go all in first hand or 2 to try to get a jump on the competition, but i played bet365 freeroll last week, and the whole table was playing good solid poker - only problem was, after 30-40 mins or so everyone was between 1500 and 3000 chips (ish) whilst loads on the leaderboard were in 15,000 - 22,000 range. Obviously it depends on opponents, but sometimes I think you've got to make a move and start playing a bit looser - somone busts out on a tight table and is replaced by someone with 5 times as many chips as anyone else, then it's a long way back (what do I know though - i've never won!)

K

kardmania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Simply Stated

Winning a freeroll tournament requires the same skill set as any other poker play the only caveat being that lottery luck is also needed to win.

odds do not change over time. The simple math remains a constant.

One cannot rely on tells and bad beats will happen on proper plays. One must do their best to retain composure in order to stay in contention.

Last edited: