Folding KK on the flop

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just went busted today wi poket KK 3 bet pre-flop got called by a loose player in the CO flop was
238. Made a full size pot continuation bet of $3 the guy shove all in for $35 I called thinking he had a medium size pair he shows a set of dueces.
I wonder if I should have folded with such an unusual bet? But again he could have done that with so many other hands like 10s Jj QQ etc. What do you guys think?

Honestly based on the type of player you said he was, it was a good call. The most i would have placed him on was JJ, QQ, 1010. But any pocket pair was also possible but based on all you said i would have placed him on an overpair. Its just misfortune on your part, and thats what being a loose player can do(referring to villian), makes ppl misread them when they do have made hands. Unfortunate sir, truly is, but thats poker for you

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
May be I m wrong, but I always play KK all in on the flop.Quite often was beaten when raised twice or triple.

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not the spot we love the most.

What is his value range in this spot? I bet you can beat a ton of his value range here. You beat 99-QQ, you beat 66, 77, A8, you don't beat AA, two pair, sets. If you think his "value" range is this wide (includes 99-JJ, TPTK), this is more than a correct call: it's standard.

Also, no reason to pot this thing. Give away too much info about your hand. "Oh, this guy is potting. He wants to stack someone off. Well, I'll give what he wants: stack my set".

Last edited:
B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was under the gun and checked, he was in the Cutoff position and raised to $0.75 I re-raised to $2.60 and he called. His stats were around 33% of hands played. So we were hads up on the floo I bet around $3 and he shoved.

I don't agree with the limp/re-raise you made, but in general, if the dude is calling ~10BB to 100 BB effective stack size to hit a set of deuces, you're making money in the long run. His flop stack off, in the long run misses a ton of value for him. All in all, I think you played the hand better than him and that's what matter, even if I don't agree with some parts of your play.

Watch out for this limp/re-raises or pot-sized bets. Unless you're willing to mix in some bluffs w/ that, you're also losing money in the long run to play your big pairs so face up. This is 2017 and straight forward is disguised. That's likely to be the reason why he just stacked off straight up. He knew what you had.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just went busted today wi poket KK 3 bet pre-flop got called by a loose player in the CO flop was
238. Made a full size pot continuation bet of $3 the guy shove all in for $35 I called thinking he had a medium size pair he shows a set of dueces.
I wonder if I should have folded with such an unusual bet? But again he could have done that with so many other hands like 10s Jj QQ etc. What do you guys think?
I think you received some good advice and some bad, the usual when it comes to poker hands HaHa. I believe you said you were UTG?? you called, then cut-off raised?? and then you 4 -bet?? Or did the cut-off call your 3-bet, I am still confused, I read through all your posts. Anyway, preflop with KKs, I agree make your raise as big as you can without folding everyone out, maybe little pairs will fold. Post-flop, I agree with a couple of guys who said the pot-sized C-bet was too big, it definitely told villain that he could shove and get called. if you bet half-pot or whatever your normal C-bet is, he would have had to think about his sizing, because he doesn't want to fold you out. I agree that it was a cooler. Mainly I would look at how is it possible to lose the least amount of money, because I know myself, I am calling, I can't fold KK's in this spot, but maybe we can play the hand so we don't lose quite as much money. I may get stacked anyway but that is how I would try to analyze the hand?? So anyway just another poker point of view.

Cmoneytaker5

Cmoneytaker5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
overbet in low stakes is never a bluff ...it cost me a lot of money to learn this...lol when you hold As' or K's and in dry flop like this the vilain goes all in...it's a trap! 2 pairs or set

alar2080

alar2080

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
his hand could have more combinations that didn't hit so you need to сall

D

Dodgethis2k

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His thinking

I was under the gun and checked, he was in the Cutoff position and raised to $0.75 I re-raised to $2.60 and he called. His stats were around 33% of hands played. So we were hads up on the floo I bet around $3 and he shoved.

He had a pair pre-flop, and you likely didn't.
Once flop hits he has a set, and unless his read was bad and you had 33 or 88 for bigger set, he didn't care what you had.

For the record, I lose this way all the time. I just lost with KK to 3s9s in a three way pot because someone thinks suited cards are magical... One spade on flop then Runner F'n Runner, turn and river.

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Unless you have history on the player this is an insta-call. If they are all of the same suit it's a bit different, i'd say in that spot you'd consider folding.

Their range is probably over pairs (aa-99), 88, 33, 22. If 2 of the flop cards are suited they could shove with something like ax suited. or even in rare cases pocket pairs 44-77 if they think you might just have aj-ak a lot of the time.

A

Folding in Poker