***February Cash Game Thread***

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anyone change their game after moving up? i moved up to 10nl and for some reason I started playing like an idiot.
I guess it's cuz I see so much weird stuff. Hopefully I can turn it around. :(

Last edited:
No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
weird stuff like this? how the hell are you meant to play against someone like this?

Grabbed by Holdem Manager
NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Full Tilt
SB ($1.75)
BB ($3)
UTG ($2.33)
UTG+1 ($2.25)
UTG+2 ($4.40)
CO ($5.35)
Hero ($5)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: Q:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.05, fold, CO calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.62) Q:heart: 3:diamond: 3:club:

CO bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.40, CO calls $0.35

TURN ($1.42) Q:heart: 3:diamond: 3:club: 6:diamond:

CO bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.75, CO calls $0.70

RIVER ($2.92) Q:heart: 3:diamond: 3:club: 6:diamond: A:club:

CO bets $0.05, Hero raises to $2, CO raises to $3.95 (AI), Hero calls $1.60 (AI)

CO shows 6:spade: 6:club:
(Pre 53%, Flop 8.4%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero shows A:spade: Q:spade:
(Pre 47%, Flop 91.6%, Turn 4.5%)

CO wins $9.45

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anyone change their game after moving up? i moved up to 10nl and for some reason I started playing like an idiot. I guess it's cuz I see so much weird stuff.

Be careful w this - I find these things cause me to change my game when I move up in limits:

1. The betsizes/potsizes. No matter how many times you tell yourself it's only chips/bb's and not money, it still takes time getting used to the bigger betsizes/pots.

2. The aggression increases as you move up. You want to react to the aggression consistently across limits, but if you're used to having one lag on the table at the lower limit, and all of a sudden you end up at tables w three at the higher limit, you have to make sure you're adjusting correctly to table conditions. "Weird" looking plays are usually increased agg plays I think, if I'm understanding you correctly.

3. The higher you move up, the less likely someone will be to pay you off on implied odds hands. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just you'll find fewer and fewer as you move up. While I don't think this is really an issue at 10nl, you'll want to be incrementally smarter about playing implied odds hands in position as much as possible, and start evaluating whether you should play an implied odds hand oop based on the villains in the hand.

4. The suspicion that the player pool is significantly better than the limit you're leaving. Not true at 10nl. Period. You'll see better players than at the 5nl, but the overall pool is not significantly better.

dsvw has beaten the bejeezus out of the smallest limits and built his br very quickly more than once, he may have further/better thoughts.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
weird stuff like this? how the hell are you meant to play against someone like this?

NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Full Tilt
SB ($1.75)
BB ($3)
UTG ($2.33)
UTG+1 ($2.25)
UTG+2 ($4.40)
CO ($5.35)
Hero ($5)

Dealt to Hero A Q

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.05, fold, CO calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.25, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $0.20

FLOP ($0.62) Q 3 3

CO bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.40, CO calls $0.35

TURN ($1.42) Q 3 3 6

CO bets $0.05, Hero raises to $0.75, CO calls $0.70

RIVER ($2.92) Q 3 3 6 A

CO bets $0.05, Hero raises to $2, CO raises to $3.95 (AI), Hero calls $1.60 (AI)

CO shows 6 6
(Pre 53%, Flop 8.4%, Turn 95.5%)

Hero shows A Q
(Pre 47%, Flop 91.6%, Turn 4.5%)

CO wins $9.45

Frustrating, but he'll give it back w interest. I usually just call the river here, that min donkbet usually stops after the turn unless they picked up a monster.

Did you see baudib's donk minbetting thread?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anyone change their game after moving up? i moved up to 10nl and for some reason I started playing like an idiot.

Everyone changes their game when they move up. It's the reason why we all fail the 1st time and end up dropping down. Seriously though no one is making plays. Play for value. There is NO NEED for you to make plays. Value bet. Value bet. Value bet. Only bluff good cards against villains who know where the fold button is located. Don't slow play.

Last edited:
coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be careful w this - I find these things cause me to change my game when I move up in limits:

1. The betsizes/potsizes. No matter how many times you tell yourself it's only chips/bb's and not money, it still takes time getting used to the bigger betsizes/pots.

2. The aggression increases as you move up. You want to react to the aggression consistently across limits, but if you're used to having one lag on the table at the lower limit, and all of a sudden you end up at tables w three at the higher limit, you have to make sure you're adjusting correctly to table conditions. "Weird" looking plays are usually increased agg plays I think, if I'm understanding you correctly.

3. The higher you move up, the less likely someone will be to pay you off on implied odds hands. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just you'll find fewer and fewer as you move up. While I don't think this is really an issue at 10nl, you'll want to be incrementally smarter about playing implied odds hands in position as much as possible, and start evaluating whether you should play an implied odds hand oop based on the villains in the hand.

4. The suspicion that the player pool is significantly better than the limit you're leaving. Not true at 10nl. Period. You'll see better players than at the 5nl, but the overall pool is not significantly better.

dsvw has beaten the bejeezus out of the smallest limits and built his br very quickly more than once, he may have further/better thoughts.

I thought I was supposed to loosen up my game up a little bit more. I dunno then I started limping a bunch of hands which I never did really before. I've only played 2NL prior, so the jump seems pretty big. Seems so hard to get paid off at 10nl which is a big adjustment for me. It seems more about medium sized pots, where at 2NL heck you can just open shove Aces and people will call with worse hands.

1000 hands and I'm down 2 buyins. All on stupid plays. Hopefully I can turn it around tho after realizing my mistakes. Was having a good session then just decided to do something dumb and boom another buy-in.

It's the weekend hopefully can get something going tomorrow and sunday.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone changes their game when they move up. It's the reason why we all fail the 1st time and end up dropping down. Seriously though no one is making plays. Play for value. There is NO NEED for you to make plays. Value bet. Value bet. Value bet. Only bluff good cards against villains who know where the fold button is located. Don't slow play.

rofl alright thanks.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought I was supposed to loosen up my game up a little bit more. I dunno then I started limping a bunch of hands which I never did really before.

Don't even screw around w trying initially, play EXACTLY the same game you were playing at 2nl and then adjust your game incrementally - this is a recommendation from a post from a coach I respect alot, that one of the mistakes players make moving up is thinking they need to change their game right away.

Pay alot of attention to table conditions - whether Villain's at a 2nl or 10nl table, it's him that makes a diff, not the limit.

If you want to experiment w a looser game, do it at the lower limit rather than the new limit. Oh, and being looser is fine (depending on how loose you already are), as long as you're not passive - that'll kill your winrate...

Oh, and fwiw, it doesn't take me 1K hands to drop 2 bi's, I can do it much faster than that... ;) Don't worry about it, play your game.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The story of my night, passive fishy types coming along for the ride and hitting their monsters and coming over top of me...

NL Holdem $0.05(BB) Replayer
SB ($4.02)
BB ($1.63)
Hero ($5.43)
UTG+1 ($4.14)
UTG+2 ($1.97)
MP1 ($4.77)
CO ($6.09)
BTN ($6.12)

Dealt to Hero Q Q

Hero raises to $0.20, fold, UTG+2 calls $0.20, fold, fold, fold, SB calls $0.18, fold

FLOP ($0.65) 9 A 9

SB checks, Hero bets $0.40, UTG+2 raises to $1.77 (AI), SB folds, Hero folds

UTG+2 wins $1.36

SB ($1.68)
BB ($5)
Hero ($5.69)
UTG+1 ($5.77)
UTG+2 ($1.96)
MP1 ($2.16)
MP2 ($1.83)
CO ($2.66)
BTN ($5.39)

Dealt to Hero K K

Hero raises to $0.20, UTG+1 calls $0.20, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.20, fold, fold

FLOP ($0.67) 7 6 5

Hero bets $0.40, UTG+1 calls $0.40, BTN calls $0.40

TURN ($1.87) 7 6 5 8

Hero bets $1, UTG+1 calls $1, BTN raises to $4.79 (AI), Hero folds, UTG+1 calls $3.79

RIVER ($12.45) 7 6 5 8 5

UTG+1 shows 8 8
(Pre 66%, Flop 47.0%, Turn 20.5%)

BTN shows K 4
(Pre 34%, Flop 53.0%, Turn 79.5%)

UTG+1 wins $11.62

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
check the turn in the second hand imo...

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly I didnt really expect either of them to be chasing the flush until he came over the top of me on the turn. What happens if I check the turn, UTG1 bets and BTN calls, should I call and check/call the river or just give up on the turn?

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 8h completes both draws - if either of them bets, I fold. We're not trying to win every pot - that board is one to run away from and live to fight another day...

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of glass tapping ITT.
me a fish?
to be fair, my hands were from a session i finished like 10 mins before posting it and it was a pretty short session, also i was sticking with the theme of big pairs, left out other various retarded things that happened :p

but yeah dawg, i feel you, those are some gross ones and poker is lame :(
lolz
Just got approved for rb on FT. Crack poker ftw!
cool, nice bud
nit it up, or lag it depending on table

nice post

The 8h completes both draws - if either of them bets, I fold. We're not trying to win every pot - that board is one to run away from and live to fight another day...

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lots of glass tapping ITT.
me a fish?
to be fair, my hands were from a session i finished like 10 mins before posting it and it was a pretty short session, also i was sticking with the theme of big pairs, left out other various retarded things that happened :p

but yeah dawg, i feel you, those are some gross ones and poker is lame :(
lolz
Just got approved for rb on FT. Crack poker ftw!
cool, nice bud
nit it up, or lag it depending on table

nice post

nice

this sucks big time, built my stack from $10 at this table, then this happens, had read on villain that he was aggresive with tptk/good kicker, which I was hoping he had:

full tilt poker $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em - 7 players - View hand 559911
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter
SB: $16.64
BB: $14.90
UTG: $6.30
UTG+1: $13.06
Hero (MP): $27.61
CO: $10.00
BTN: $19.85
Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is MP with Q A
UTG calls $0.10, UTG+1 calls $0.10, Hero raises to $0.55, 2 folds, SB raises to $1, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.90, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.45
Flop: ($3.20) T 9 Q (3 players)
SB bets $1.80, UTG calls $1.80, Hero raises to $6.20, SB raises to $10.60, UTG calls $3.50 all in, Hero calls $4.40
Turn: ($29.70) 6 (3 players - 1 is all in)
SB bets $5.04 all in, Hero calls $5.04
River: ($39.78) 4 (3 players - 2 are all in)
Final Pot: $39.78
SB shows Q Q (three of a kind, Queens)
UTG shows T K (a pair of Tens)
Hero shows Q A (a pair of Queens)
SB wins $19.95
SB wins $17.83
(Rake: $2.00)

still sat there with $25 now, after rebui;d

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling this? Villian is 42/2 and I had seen him check/raise a couple times before, but never all in. A jack is definately in his range but the two jacks or pocket 2s are the only cards that beat us...

SB ($5.03)
BB ($1.43)
UTG ($6.61)
UTG+1 ($2.50)
UTG+2 ($7.82)
MP1 ($8.48)
Hero ($8.18)
CO ($5)
BTN ($20.99)

Dealt to Hero A:spade: A:diamond:

UTG raises to $0.20, fold, UTG+2 calls $0.20, fold, Hero raises to $0.60, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, UTG+2 calls $0.40

FLOP ($1.47) J:diamond: J:club: 2:heart:

UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $0.75, UTG+2 raises to $7.22 (AI), Hero

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise bigger pre (probably .90) and I snap call.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snapity snap imo.
He has 33-KK just as often(if not more often) then Jx, + some random spazzes imo.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise bigger pre (probably .90) and I snap call.
yep, snap call, he could have a j, or a 2, but also any pocket pair really, which we're way ahead of.
as said by wv, raise bigger pf

M

marknz88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sigh, having a lot of trouble with loose passive players. Dropped a few buy in's in a night that I'm getting no traction upwards.

Whats an average day for most micro grinders in the way off BI's won or lost (I see some posters talk about 2BI downswing as if its the end of the world)? I seem to swing in general around 3-5 in either direction. Very annoying when it seems that your are making progress only next session to end up right back where you started the day before. Treading water sucks.

Also I'm noticing that when I jump on a table it generally has a PPF > 40%, but after a few orbits I'm finding most drop to around <25%, so I should be dumping all those tables correct and moving to new ones? (just seems I'ld be constantly doing this all night and not being able to get any reads before I have to move table)

Last edited:
KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sigh, having a lot of trouble with loose passive players. Dropped a few buy in's in a night that I'm getting no traction upwards.

Whats an average day for most micro grinders in the way off BI's won or lost (I see some posters talk about 2BI downswing as if its the end of the world)? I seem to swing in general around 3-5 in either direction. Very annoying when it seems that your are making progress only next session to end up right back where you started the day before. Treading water sucks.
On a good day I triple/quadruple up, and on a bad day will lose 2 bis tops, and then take a break and regroiup

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately any one of my sessions can run anwhere from +20 buyins to -20 buyins.

Wes747

Wes747

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I easily swing 6-8 buyings in a session. It usually depends on how aggressive of a player you are. I'm guessing Marginal is very aggressive, as I am pretty aggressive myself.

Breaking even is a big part of my game....thats why I get rakeback! Haha but really, if you're breaking even day in and day out it means you have a few leaks in your game. It probably has to do with your position/preflop raises/calls or your bet sizing.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I easily swing 6-8 buyings in a session. It usually depends on how aggressive of a player you are. I'm guessing Marginal is very aggressive, as I am pretty aggressive myself.

Breaking even is a big part of my game....thats why I get rakeback! Haha but really, if you're breaking even day in and day out it means you have a few leaks in your game. It probably has to do with your position/preflop raises/calls or your bet sizing.
I prefer winning?

always a fold after this action on turn, right?

Full Tilt Poker $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em - 9 players - View hand 561143
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter
Hero (MP1): $12.54
MP2: $5.49
CO: $4.62
BTN: $1.75
SB: $5.12
BB: $3.24
UTG: $3.74
UTG+1: $5.07
UTG+2: $4.93
Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero is MP1 with 2 Q
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, MP2 calls $0.10, CO calls $0.10, 3 folds
Flop: ($0.37) Q 4 Q (3 players)
Hero bets $0.20, MP2 raises to $0.60, CO calls $0.60, Hero calls $0.40
Turn: ($2.17) 8 (3 players)
Hero checks, MP2 bets $1.54, CO raises to $3.92 all in, Hero folds, MP2 calls $2.38
River: ($10.01) 3 (2 players - 1 is all in)
Final Pot: $10.01
MP2 shows J J (two pair, Queens and Jacks)
CO shows A Q (three of a kind, Queens)
CO wins $9.35
(Rake: $0.66)

M

marknz88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats good to know. I feel Im quiet an aggressive player (compared to the average player at my limits) so the swings come with the territory I guess (although I think if I had a 20BI day I would die haha).

For those of you with the larger daily swings, how do you manage to get any upward momentum? For me its a 2 steps forward, three backwards story for the time being.

Real Money Poker - Real Money Casinos Top 10 Games