effective odds and implied odds

S

swaphaj

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i still cant really grasp these two concepts. I have TOP by Sklansky but it still doesnt make sense to me. The way I understand it pot odds are used to see if you should pay to see the next card. Effective odds is the probability of hitting the card that makes your hand at the river and implied odds are how much you'll make if you hit your card.

Could someone help me out and explain these concepts to me better and also if possible give me a better example of how to figure these odds out.

also, how long should it take to compute all of these odds? It seems it would take a long time.

thanks for everyones help...its greatly needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have an accurate description of both.

Say there is a pot of $100, you and your opponent are heads up and have $200 effective stacks.

You have :ac4: :10c4:
on a board of, :6c4: :kd4: :3c4: :7h4:

Your opponent tells you he has :ad4: :ks4:, he's not lying, and bets $50

The pot is offering you $150:$50 or 3:1. These are your pot odds.
Your probability of hitting the nut flush and making a winning hand is:

9(clubs): 37 (non-clubs) = 4.1:1 These are your expressed (effective) odds, and they tell you the minimum you need the pot odds to offer you to make calling correct.

If you want to see how to get this number the calculation follows:

You get this by taking the total cards in the deck (52) subtract the known cards, the board and your two hole cards. In this example we also know the villain's cards, but we will not ever know them when actually playing, so we'll pretend we don't know them right now. 52-2-4 = 46 unknown cards.

Of those 46 cards 9 are clubs. 46-9 = 37 so there are 37 non-clubs

9:37 = 4.1:1

Now you are not being offered the correct odds to draw to your flush. However, the picture is not complete. You must take implied odds into acount, and after adjusting for implied odds, you may be correct to draw.

If you hit your flush, you may be able to get another bet out of your opponent. Depending on how much you can extract, we may or may not be able to call here.

The break-even point is 4.1:1 on our $50, so we have to win $205. The pot was $150, so if we can get our opponent to put in another $55 on the river after hitting our flush, then we have the implied odds to call this turn bet, even though our expressed odds were short of making a call correct.

Last edited:
Implied Odds3

Implied Odds3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mase pretty much explained it all. I knew most of it but he made it even clearer for me.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator