M

manalva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.

Great subject.
I try to be a discipline player and always try to play top 80% hands, but once in a while I play that kind of hands that make you loose in the long range.
In some online tournaments I've even waiting almost 10 or 15 hands to play with top 80% cards, but sometimes I don't have that kind of patience.

Bye.
manalva

W

weirdhotshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's important to remember any two cards can win a pot. It isn't specific hands that hurt you but how you play it. A good poker player will read the situation well and win the pot.

I don't think that J10, K10, etc hurt you in any specific way. The only time they hurt you is if you are unwilling to lay down your J10 on a 10 6 4 flop. Then your problem is being able to lay down hands, not hand selection.

Lastly, we all know that poker pros tend to favor hands like 65s and baby suited connectors in general at times. There's a reason they do this and it's not because they think their opponent is bluffing. They can hit the flop hard and if they miss they can outplay their opponent.

zek

zek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of discipline this afternoon was one of my loosest sessions in a long time.

I walked into a royal flush of all things but still manged not to lose too much.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a new and profitable day. :D

-Raymond

N

n2kfactor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think the whole problem begins with playing these hands preflop unless you're the BB.....don't play hands where u think u can get in trouble and u wont cry..

T

thepokerjunky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree with you... and no I do not have success in the long run with those kind of hands. I just came back from a poker game and i lost the hand since i was playing a marginal hand to someone with a higher kicker! the flop was 889 and i have a 9T offsuite... only 3 of us so i think my odds are good... the pot was more than half my stack, i go allin, the guy calls with 9J, and the next 2 cards are 2 and 4... come on you know. So I completely agree with you, and discipline is the key to this game.

PradBitt

PradBitt

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ask Gus Hansen about starting hands :p I think here is the answer :
Discipline is not what you play.
It's how you play it.
You should just know when to give up and fold your hand.