calling with incorrect odds

DOOM_TRAIN

DOOM_TRAIN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's say you're in a hand against an opponent you know is weaker than you and you flop a set, or even top pair, but there are 2 cards to a flush and straight draws as well. You bet the pot to give your opponents incorrect odds to call but they call anyway. The turn comes the third card to a flush. Do you make another bet, and fold if they pop it knowing they've made a flush? or is there anyway to determine that they were drawing to a straight, instead of the flush and havent yet made a straight? or vice versa if the turn comes the third card to a straight, how can you determine that they were drawing to a flush instead? I get caught in this sticky situation sometimes and usually just end up folding or checking it down. I could be losing money doing this. Any suggestions?

C

Crudelis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's say you're in a hand against an opponent you know is weaker than you and you flop a set, or even top pair, but there are 2 cards to a flush and straight draws as well. You bet the pot to give your opponents incorrect odds to call but they call anyway. The turn comes the third card to a flush. Do you make another bet, and fold if they pop it knowing they've made a flush? or is there anyway to determine that they were drawing to a straight, instead of the flush and havent yet made a straight? or vice versa if the turn comes the third card to a straight, how can you determine that they were drawing to a flush instead? I get caught in this sticky situation sometimes and usually just end up folding or checking it down. I could be losing money doing this. Any suggestions?

It depends. Does your opponent play a lot of mediocre hands, does he have a history of calling with just a flopped pair? The only way to know how to play that hand correctly is if you have some good notes on that person.

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the type of player but betting here is bad.

Reason - he only calls if he has hit, if he folds you were winning anyway (way ahead/awy behind situation)

If you were in position this would be a lot easier.. hence position is so powerfull in NLHE

As is, you can check/call (if you think he bluffs scare cards)
check/fold, if you think he really only bets this if he hits
or block bet (a smallish bet aimed at a player who bluffs a bit too big and you would rather not call a large bet so you set the price).

As for how do you determine if they are drawing.. look for aptterns in their betting and compare that to the range of hands they play.

i.e. if the majority of hands a player playes are suited then he ALWAYS has a flush draw. Think about it if you bet and his range is made up of 60% FD's then over 1000 hands you will always loose. Yo will loose 600 of the 1000 hands.. hence he ALWAYS has a fd.

So if you dont know what your opponent's range is.. then this is an area you should be looking into.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator