C-Betting AK on flop when you miss: Is this a leak?

hashtag

hashtag

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think time tells are impossible to use.

Not necessarily. I wouldn't base a decision soley on a timing tell, but it's additional info you shouldn't ignore either if you begin to see a pattern. I think when a player acts/reraises immediately is more informative than somebody taking their time.

D

dziaba0303

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Same as juanmapoker1 - 3betting on cash games and allin in tour. Often works.

OldschoolSteinhausen

OldschoolSteinhausen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In tournaments no, in cash games yes. I hope thats the right answer! =)

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Standard play for both cash and tourney imo, if he is only flat calling a 3x raise and you missed the flop it's likely he has also missed with hands like AQ AJ so he'll usually muck, if he calls you then you might need to re-evaluate and give it up, because he usually won't be calling with anything less than a pair

B

BlakeBrown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:marchmell No, as long as you bet the same way when you hit... Your AK still has a pretty good chance of being the winning hand anyways... If you want to bet and for your opponent to fold, you need to be willing to bet enough that he will fold!Always remember that
:marchmell

P

Poker77_LV

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think in tournaments you can 3bet,but in cash games it is different situation.

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Havinf AK hand gives u the chance to make starting bet and keep cbet but getting bad flop and ur opponent keep calling means u may have to make the decision making a dubious bluff or just check to the river. Whatever u do just make sure u hold the best hand and dont donate to your opponent :).

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think in tournaments you can 3bet,but in cash games it is different situation.
What do you mean a different situation? You have to 3-bet with AK in cash games and even 4-bet. In tournaments, depending on my stack I will go all-in if I'm short enough and someone in front of me raises.

As far as I'm concerned you have to c-bet the hand regardless of the flop. He will possibly call with medium pocket pairs and AQ. I will check the turn and might sometimes call a small river bet.

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you recomanda, in cash games, when you're cheap leader, all in with AK suited before flop?

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would you recomanda, in cash games, when you're cheap leader, all in with AK suited before flop?
How deep exactly are you. Getting it in pre-flop with AK suited is never wrong. Personally, I'm fine with shoving on someone, but I hate calling a stack-off with AK.

In Tournaments I'm better off calling with the hand because I don't feel like I need to risk much with a big stack.

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see. And in your experience, what are the hands you would go all in pre flop, in you would be cheap leader, besides AK suited? In cash games

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forgot to mention, when i say cash game i mean 9 players at a table.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see. And in your experience, what are the hands you would go all in pre flop, in you would be cheap leader, besides AK suited? In cash games
I play 6 handed Zoom, so its a different, but I'm a nit when it comes to stacking off in Micro Zoom because I have very few reads on them so I go with QQ+ and always call off shortstacks with AK because I'm coinflipping against most of their hands and often enough they're holding AQ or AJ.

On cash games you can ship JJ as well, but then again it's a bit different in full ring. Always remember position though. Late position opens include wider range of hands, so you can play your hand more aggro when in the blinds with AK, AQ and JJ+

Don't take everything I say for a fact because I'm a beginning player myself, but I do think there's at least some truth in my post ;)

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 6 handed Zoom, so its a different, but I'm a nit when it comes to stacking off in Micro Zoom because I have very few reads on them so I go with QQ+ and always call off shortstacks with AK because I'm coinflipping against most of their hands and often enough they're holding AQ or AJ.

On cash games you can ship JJ as well, but then again it's a bit different in full ring. Always remember position though. Late position opens include wider range of hands, so you can play your hand more aggro when in the blinds with AK, AQ and JJ+

Don't take everything I say for a fact because I'm a beginning player myself, but I do think there's at least some truth in my post ;)

Very often i see players pushing with 10 10 also, JJ as well.

S

seanbee01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a nightmare for me I seem to never hit but if it is against me I seem to always lose :( no win .

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are out of position in 6-max table just shove with AK, I don't like making a big 3-bet with AK OOP because if someone calls and you miss the flop then you are in a really weird spot. Generally the worse case scenario is getting called by QQ-TT but it really isn't a terrible situation just that it increases variance. Most of the times everyone will fold and that easily makes up for the slight loss against pairs. And this doesn't even take into account the calls that you will be getting with Ax hands.

In position I play AK in many ways. Sometimes I flat call sometimes I make a 3-bet and sometimes I shove.

I would absolutely not hesitate to 4-bet shove 100BB with AK in 6-max. I have only once folded AK pre when I was facing a 120BB shove from a reasonable player.

In a FR game it's a different story though. You should not be shoving AK all the time as the odds of getting called by KK and AA are higher.

If I am 200BB deep then I would not shove with AK if a player with an equal stack is to act behind me. I would only shove that much pre with KK and AA.

W

white_vision0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are out of position in 6-max table just shove with AK, I don't like making a big 3-bet with AK OOP because if someone calls and you miss the flop then you are in a really weird spot. Generally the worse case scenario is getting called by QQ-TT but it really isn't a terrible situation just that it increases variance. Most of the times everyone will fold and that easily makes up for the slight loss against pairs. And this doesn't even take into account the calls that you will be getting with Ax hands.

In position I play AK in many ways. Sometimes I flat call sometimes I make a 3-bet and sometimes I shove.

I would absolutely not hesitate to 4-bet shove 100BB with AK in 6-max. I have only once folded AK pre when I was facing a 120BB shove from a reasonable player.

In a FR game it's a different story though. You should not be shoving AK all the time as the odds of getting called by KK and AA are higher.

If I am 200BB deep then I would not shove with AK if a player with an equal stack is to act behind me. I would only shove that much pre with KK and AA.

The real problem is also the players you're playing. I play with new players, some of them push even with 10 10, some are very tight. I haven't learned they're play yet

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's the play at Micro stakes. You don't generally know what they're doing at 2NL, once you get higher you get some idea. You can idnetify players by their stacks. If they're short, then they are probably bad players. Of course it's never a good idea to call a stack off when you have little to no info on your opponent. Most likely you have already invested a fair amount when someone shoved on you, so you have to call unless you believe he may be holding AA or KK, but if you have little to no idea wha they're up to, you can't go wrong folding sometimes.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars